Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

George Best documentary -All by himself

2»

Comments

• Miserable bastard wouldn't sign my programme when he played for us in Les Berry's testimonial. Neither would Pat Jennings

What a twat. That's it, I've changed my opinion of him now.
  • stonemuse said:

Miserable bastard wouldn't sign my programme when he played for us in Les Berry's testimonial. Neither would Pat Jennings

To be fair, he was probably pissed.
  • stonemuse said:

Miserable bastard wouldn't sign my programme when he played for us in Les Berry's testimonial. Neither would Pat Jennings

To be fair, I was probably pissed.
  • edited July 2017
    I watched it on iplayer earlier and it was very good.

Was that photo of Best playing/maybe scoring on 16 mins at The Valley ? It looked like The Covered End goal, yet Man U surely didn't play at The Valley in the "Best" years.

In which case what was the similar looking ground ?
  • I watched it on iplayer earlier and it was very good.

Was that photo of Best playing/maybe scoring on 16 mins at The Valley ? It looked like The Covered End goal, yet Man U surely didn't play at The Valley in the "Best" years.

This has been doing my head in for a few days. I can only think of Watford having a similar stand (at least in terms of length, not quality).
  • Just watched it, at the end I had a tear in my eye and a smile on my face.

Never to be forgotten, such great memories.

This has been doing my head in for a few days. I can only think of Watford having a similar stand (at least in terms of length, not quality).
    Said that to MrsH....but we were never in the same league....cup game maybe? As others have said a good documentary, the last bits were tough watching though.
  • Watched last night. Brilliant film. Such a tragic waste of a sublime talent and his later years. I thought both Angie Best and the ex-girlfriend who now appeared to be a Buddhist monk (or similar, no offence intended) were extremely loving, caring people who had tried hard to help George find a more stable lifestyle.

THAT goal he scored for San Jose Earthquakes was unbelievable. Sheer magic.
  • edited July 2017
    Did anybody else go to Les Berry's Testimonial - Charlton v Arsenal with George Best playing for us. It was after he retired, but he was sublime in that game.
  • One of the all time greats but imagine if he hadn't enjoyed life to the full, he would have dominated the league for a decade more.
  • Sponsored links:

• Davo55 said:

Watched last night. Brilliant film. Such a tragic waste of a sublime talent and his later years. I thought both Angie Best and the ex-girlfriend who now appeared to be a Buddhist monk (or similar, no offence intended) were extremely loving, caring people who had tried hard to help George find a more stable lifestyle.

THAT goal he scored for San Jose Earthquakes was unbelievable. Sheer magic.

she is a Buddhist munn now! Was quite surreal hearing an old Buddhist munk talking about the swinging 60s!

I liked the story behind the San Jose goal, I had no idea so thought he was going to get set off not run round 8 players and score the goal of the season! I liked the comment to the ref as he was running back!

I thought that was the covered end in that picture. Friendly or in the cup??
  • Did anybody else go to Les Berry's Testimonial - Charlton v Arsenal with George Best playing for us. It was after he retired, but he was sublime in that game.

He was superb, scored with a header from what seemed to be the edge of the box.

Jim Davidson commentating on the PA, kicked off with Arsenal fans as well. Proper testimonial!
  • I remember visiting a Client in Manchester 1971/2, the morning papers were full of how George had broken his arm or wrist in training and would not be available for some time.

At what was then opening time at 5.30, Client and I went to pub in town centre, there was George alone at the end of the bar, one arm in sling the other holding a drink. We were there until about 10 and got very pissed before leaving. George was still at the end of the bar, by now surrounded by "friends" including several girls. I don't how much he'd had, but he was clearly in no hurry to go home. Both Client and I were somewhat surprised, this was before his drinking became public knowledge.

He was the best player I ever saw, watched him as a 18 year old rip table topping Chelsea to pieces as Utd won 2-0. I'm sure it was Chelsea Manager Tommy Docherty who then first described him as the fifth Beatle, the papers making him El Beatle after he ripped Benfica apart.

Many years later he was describing his six best ever games he ever played to Barry Davies on BBC TV, his first game was that one against Chelsea
  • Best was a genius .. was he on the edge of the Autistic 'spectrum' I wonder ? .. only able to express himself through his football .. everything seemed so easy for him football wise, leading to boredom and perhaps a sense of non fulfilment due to a lack of the ability to really communicate .. did his mother have the same problem, she was a gifted yet troubled sportswoman who also became an alcoholic ? ..
    a very interesting documentary that did not come close to 'discovering the real George Best' other than his astonishing football ability
  • Best was a genius .. was he on the edge of the Autistic 'spectrum' I wonder ? .. only able to express himself through his football .. everything seemed so easy for him football wise, leading to boredom and perhaps a sense of non fulfilment due to a lack of the ability to really communicate .. did his mother have the same problem, she was a gifted yet troubled sportswoman who also became an alcoholic ? ..
    a very interesting documentary that did not come close to 'discovering the real George Best' other than his astonishing football ability

George was shy and lacked self-confidence, but once he relaxed he was a very able communicator with a very dry sense of humour. I would not say he was on or even near the autistic spectrum.

Playing football was the one place where he felt at home, confident and comfortable, and where he could express himself completely. I've never enjoyed watching a player more than Georgie, not just because he was utterly brilliant but also because he gave expression to everything. The best I've seen and I doubt there will ever be a better.
  • What amazes me about Best is how well he played given that players were kicking lumps out of him and he was playing on such awful pitches.
  • What amazes me about Best is how well he played given that players were kicking lumps out of him and he was playing on such awful pitches.

And with heavy balls, as a result of water retention, too. The footballs weren't as light as they are nowadays either.

And with heavy balls, as a result of water retention, too. The footballs weren't as light as they are nowadays either.
    :lol:
  • Sponsored links:

• Twat impersonating George Best
  • stonemuse said:

To be fair, he was probably pissed.
    And Jennings still probably had his gloves on.
  • Did anybody else go to Les Berry's Testimonial - Charlton v Arsenal with George Best playing for us. It was after he retired, but he was sublime in that game.

I went, and Georgie DID sign my programme!

I have some heavy balls.
  • I remember the 1-1 Fulham game. Flash got our goal.
    George was clear on goal and shaped up to put the ball past Jeff Wood and then sliced horribly wide. I wonder how many times he did that.
    Phil Warman was marking him that day. Perhaps Bestie wanted to get rid off the ball sharphish!

• Watched most of it last night.

Really sad, not only because what finally happened but when you watch this young lovely shy Irish genius go off the rails later in life. The film delivers it in a very poignant way.

I was at Welling for the Derek Hales game but can't remember if I went to Les Berry's.
    Who had the testimonial shortly after we went to Selhurst, was it another for Derek Hales?

• A sad story. Looking at his career record, despite leaving Man U ridiculously young, he still played 474 times, scoring 181 goals, and even in 71/72 he still played 52 games scoring 27 goals in a declining team.

It was only in the following season when he seemed to go off the rails. Maybe if Man U had managed to stay at the top, he would have been more satisfied with football and not needing outside distractions so much? Even now it seems bizarre that a club like that can decline so much they get relegated.
  • An exceptionally good documentary.

Remember him playing for Fulham against us in 1976-1977, alongside Marsh and Moore. Team of boozers basically.

Yes: he could have done have done even better, but, in a career stretching from 1963 to 1983 (20 years, 600 odd games including 428 in the UK, 239 goals, of which 150 in the UK and 37 full internationals) there can be few complaints if he let it slip a bit before the end.
  • An exceptionally good documentary.

Remember him playing for Fulham against us in 1976-1977, alongside Marsh and Moore. Team of boozers basically.

Yes: he could have done have done even better, but, in a career stretching from 1963 to 1983 (20 years, 600 odd games including 428 in the UK, 239 goals, of which 150 in the UK and 37 full internationals) there can be few complaints if he let it slip a bit before the end.

I guess the tragedy (from a football point of view) is that his main career ended when he was only 27 really. The second 10 years of his career were of a journeyman, playing for anyone who would take him.