Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Forgotten British Stars of Sport

13»

Comments

• Options

micks1950 said:

Alfred Shrubb (my great-great uncle)....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alfred_Shrubb

It's not a very good article, is it? There's no mention of his great-great nephew being on Charlton Life.
    Here's some more biographical detail (still no mention of me though).....

http://www.aahorsham.co.uk/content/alfshrubb
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

As Wimbledon approaches I give you Angela Mortimer and Ann Haydon Jones.

As the World Athletics Championships approach I give you Ann Packer.

There are more I'm sure.

How can they be forgotten if you remember them?
  • Options
    iainment said:

LenGlover said:

As Wimbledon approaches I give you Angela Mortimer and Ann Haydon Jones.

As the World Athletics Championships approach I give you Ann Packer.

There are more I'm sure.

How can they be forgotten if you remember them?
    Technically correct of course but when past champions and gold medallists are mentioned or featured they seem to be ignored possibly because they won nearly 50 years or more ago.

• Options
    Rebecca Romero. Olympic medals at two different sports.
  • Options
    Matt Le Tissier. England International but one (small) club man. Girls at work tore up Southampton with him after he guested for a corporate event and reckoned he was a hoot!
  • Options
    Derek Underwood.
  • Options
    Eric Liddell
  • Options

Derek Underwood.

Saw Derek Underwood score one of the tries which beat the ABs in Wellington way back when. Cann't understand why the Lions don't take me round with them to all their Tests.
  • Options
    Dai Dower

British flyweight champion of the 1950s. He was fast on his feet but with only a feather duster for a punch.

Remember him going to Argentina to challenge Pascual Perez for the world title. It was much hyped and the papers followed Dai's every move for a fortnight before the fight, including his liking for lemonade.

After 90 seconds of the first round Dower was on his back counted out. His trainer/manager commented afterwards "Dai was moving very well up to that point". Never forget that comment.
  • Options

Derek Underwood.

Saw Derek Underwood score one of the tries which beat the ABs in Wellington way back when. Cann't understand why the Lions don't take me round with them to all their Tests.
    Do you mean Rory or Tony?

Derek was a cricketer
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    LenGlover said:

Derek Underwood.

Derek was a cricketer
    Ha, can you imagine old "Deadly" playing rugby ?
  • Options
    I really can't see a Kent biased site regarding Underwood as forgotten.
    Give it another 30 years.
  • Options
    Rory and Tony Underwood's mum

Tim Henman's dad
  • Options
    Andy Delort
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    Robert Millar. British cycling star who was a Tour de France king of the mountains winner in the 80's. Fell off the radar after retiring and is rumoured to have since transitioned into a woman.
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

Derek Underwood.

Derek was a cricketer
    Thanks Len, Rory.

• Options

LenGlover said:

Derek Underwood.

Derek was a cricketer
    Thanks Len, Rory.

Was it Rory or Tony who got flattened by Jonah Lomu?
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    Ann Hayden (Jones)
    Geoff Capes
    Colin Cowdrey
    Brian Phelps
    Johnny Haynes
    George Eastham
    Chester Barnes
  • Options

Robert Millar. British cycling star who was a Tour de France king of the mountains winner in the 80's. Fell off the radar after retiring and is rumoured to have since transitioned into a woman.

Wasn't he done for drugs?
  • Options

LenGlover said:

Derek Underwood.

Derek was a cricketer
    Thanks Len, Rory.

Was it Rory or Tony who got flattened by Jonah Lomu?
    Lomu brushed off his opposite number Tony Underwood before running over and through Mike Catt to score one of "the most famous tries in rugby history" - according to the site I just looked up.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Jon Snow
    John Curry
    Alan Wells
    David Bedford
  • Options
    Robin Smith
    Charlie Magri
    Alan Minter
  • Options
    Of all the names mentioned thus far I think the most poignant one is Mike Brearley.
    A very well educated articulate and intelligent man with much to tell and still offer the game he so loved had he so wished.
    When he retired he just seemed to disappear off the face of the earth, never to be seen or heard of again.
    No chat shows, no TV interviews, no Question of Sport, no guest visits to the BBC commentary boxes or spotted at Lords, no Desert Island Discs......no, he just vanished......the Lord Lucan of British sport.
  • Options

Robin Smith
    Charlie Magri
    Alan Minter

Names from the past there. I was at Wembley when Minter defended his title in the rematch against Antuofermo and also when he lost to Hagler - never seen a more vicious crowd in my life. Also saw Charlie Magri win his world title at Wembley against Mercedes.

Happy days.
  • Options

Of all the names mentioned thus far I think the most poignant one is Mike Brearley.
    A very well educated articulate and intelligent man with much to tell and still offer the game he so loved had he so wished.
    When he retired he just seemed to disappear off the face of the earth, never to be seen or heard of again.
    No chat shows, no TV interviews, no Question of Sport, no guest visits to the BBC commentary boxes or spotted at Lords, no Desert Island Discs......no, he just vanished......the Lord Lucan of British sport.

I think he was MCC president for a while, other than that I don't think he has done anything else in cricket.
  • Options

Jon Snow
    John Curry
    Alan Wells
    David Bedford

David Bedford interviewed me for a job the other week at Hendon FC (he's a regular home and away fan).
  • Options
    Doug Mountjoy
    Rex Williams
    John Pulman
    Mark Wildman
  • Options

I think he was MCC president for a while, other than that I don't think he has done anything else in cricket.
    Brearley was also Chairman of an MCC committee that looks at law changes or so-called improvements to the game. He had people like Steve Waugh on his committee.
  • Options
    Simonsen said:

Brearley was also Chairman of an MCC committee that looks at law changes or so-called improvements to the game. He had people like Steve Waugh on his committee.
    But for all that he certainly keeps himself out of the limelight, which I think is such a pity as he's someone I personally greatly admire and always enjoyed listening to.