Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Forgotten British Stars of Sport

Comments

• Options
    Daley Thompson
    Sonia Lannaman
  • Options
    Tom Cribb
  • Options

MrOneLung said:

Andy Ruffell

What was that bmx show he compared called?
    BMX Beat?
  • Options
    Jocky Wilson.
  • Options
    Andy Delort
  • Options
    Andrew Caddick
  • Options
    Les Berry
  • Options
    Alfred Shrubb (my great-great uncle)....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alfred_Shrubb
  • Options
    Dave Fit Finlay
  • Options
    Steve Ovett

Lester Piggott

Lloyd Honeyghan

Kenneth Matthews

Anita Lonsbrough
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Derek Randall
    Martin Lampkin
    John Curry
  • Options
    Keith Connor - Bronze in Triple Jump at LA Olympics '84.

Kathy ( Smallwood) Cook - Bronze in 400m at same Games.

2 of the GB athletes deservedly winning medals when the US dominated in their home country & without the Russians.
  • Options
    Mary Peters.

Won the pentathlon gold, setting a world record at the 1972 Olympics in Munich. She suffered death threats on her return home to Northern Ireland, but stood firm against the bully boys. It was the only athletics gold that year and she also became the BBC sports personality of the year.

N.b. The heptathlon has been contested by female athletes since the early 1980s, when it replaced the pentathlon as the primary women's combined event contest (the javelin throw and 800 m were added). It was first contested at the Olympic level in the 1984 Summer Olympics.
  • Options
    Steve Smith and his guaranteed bronze in the high jump
  • Options
    Mike Brearley
    Peter Collins
    Mike MacFarlane
    Dave Boy Green
    Buster Mottram
    John Watson
    Peter Oosterhuis
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

Steve Ovett

Lester Piggott

Lloyd Honeyghan

Kenneth Matthews

Anita Lonsbrough

Was about to post Lester.

Our greatest ever sportsman in my opinion.
  • Options

Brian Jacks.

His autobiography is coming out soon!
  • Options
    Henry Cotton
    Ken Buchanan
  • Options
    Roger Jenkins former British 400m record holder, recent naughty boy in Barclays trial and Dr Gru lookylikey.
  • Options
    Roger F@!*ing Johnson
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Lynn someone - so forgotten ive forgotten what gender and event he or she were in

Davies. won the Olympic Long Jump Gold Medal.
    and held the British record for something like 300 years until, I think, Tomlinson broke it.
  • Options

Dave Boy Green
    Dean Macey
    Vinny Samways
    Willy Van Der kerkof
    Tony Knowles

Vinny Samways and Dave 'Boy' Green were hardly stars. Journeymen who got some headlines would be more accurate, I'd suggest.
  • Options

Dave Boy Green
    Dean Macey
    Vinny Samways
    Willy Van Der kerkof
    Tony Knowles

Vinny Samways and Dave 'Boy' Green were hardly stars. Journeymen who got some headlines would be more accurate, I'd suggest.
    Dave 'Boy' Green was a big star back in the day especially up this neck of the woods. I'll agree with you on Samways .
  • Options
    micks1950 said:

Alfred Shrubb (my great-great uncle)....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alfred_Shrubb

It's not a very good article, is it? There's no mention of his great-great nephew being on Charlton Life.
  • Options

Dave Boy Green
    Dean Macey
    Vinny Samways
    Willy Van Der kerkof
    Tony Knowles

Dave 'Boy' Green was a big star back in the day especially up this neck of the woods. I'll agree with you on Samways .
    I remember him well. He was good at European and Commonwealth level, gave Carlos Palomino a bit of a fright but came seriously unstuck against Sugar Ray Leonard (but then, who didn't?). I'd still struggle to call him a nationwide star, despite the affection in which he was held.
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

LenGlover said:

Steve Ovett

Lester Piggott

Lloyd Honeyghan

Kenneth Matthews

Anita Lonsbrough

Was about to post Lester.

Our greatest ever sportsman in my opinion.

Certainly the best ever at the jockey / tax evasion biathlon.
  • Options
    Allan Wells
  • Options

Mary Peters.

Won the pentathlon gold, setting a world record at the 1972 Olympics in Munich. She suffered death threats on her return home to Northern Ireland, but stood firm against the bully boys. It was the only athletics gold that year and she also became the BBC sports personality of the year.

N.b. The heptathlon has been contested by female athletes since the early 1980s, when it replaced the pentathlon as the primary women's combined event contest (the javelin throw and 800 m were added). It was first contested at the Olympic level in the 1984 Summer Olympics.

Forgotten? She pops up on tele regularly enough over forty years after the event, I wouldn't call her forgotten RCC?