Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Scott Parker Retires

Comments

• Maybe we should welcome Scott into our coaching set-up.
    He'd be a superb role model for Konsa, Aribo and Djiksteel.
    Oh wait..only 6 months until January
  • If he'd stayed a few more months, think about where we could have got to. I still have the league tables from early 2004 pinned to a board at home, showing Charlton in fourth as late as 26 matches in. Just think.

But then...

Think about where he could have got to. He was greedy enough to become an oligarch's trinket, wasting his career sat on the bench. I can't help suspecting he regrets it as sorely as we do. Just a few more months... a better move, a better club, a better career.

At least he matured into an honest pro. And we were privileged enough to see him at his most promising. Good luck to him.

He can make it up by taking us to the prem as as a coach.

Table snippet below is as of 32/12/2003

• Achieved less than half of which he should have, but still had a good career so hey ho.
  • edited June 2017
    Love him or loathe him.......personally I'm split down the middle.
    He took all our dreams with him when he left.
  • He was the only player I've ever had the name of printed on a replica shirt, so it killed me when he left. Especially the way he left.

However......

He was great for us, and I won't forget that. Even when he came back with Newcastle, and scored against us, his refusal to celebrate restored my respect for him.

If he ever gets into coaching or management I'd love to see him back. After all, ex-players seem to do quite well as managers for us.
  • If he'd stayed until the end of the season he would've gone to Euro 2004 and got a better move than Chelsea and ultimately had a better career.
  • Spurs looking to add him to their coaching staff according to BBC football rumours.
  • edited June 2017
    Beating Chelsea on 'that' boxing day was probably the highlight of our Premier years....unfortunately it was the beginning of the end of those years.....a side story from that game....My mate had the seat next to me, in the North (season tickets) he couldn't make the Chelsea game so for a Christmas present I wrapped up his season ticket and gave it to my brother in law (a Chelsea fan)....he thought Parker was superb and would love to see him in a Chelsea shirt, the rest is history.
  • Simon E said:

He was the only player I've ever had the name of printed on a replica shirt, so it killed me when he left. Especially the way he left.

However......

He was great for us, and I won't forget that. Even when he came back with Newcastle, and scored against us, his refusal to celebrate restored my respect for him.

If he ever gets into coaching or management I'd love to see him back. After all, ex-players seem to do quite well as managers for us.

My memory is different but it has probably dimmed with time. I was sitting in the West and I thought after he scored he sprinted up the touchline and never stopped until he reached his half.
    He was getting dogs abuse, so I suppose he was in his rights. That is if my memory serves me well!
  • Spurs looking to add him to their coaching staff according to BBC football rumours.

He's got a lot to offer I think.
  • Sponsored links:

• RDG said:

I'm delighted that this boy's career never fulfilled its potential. All he deserved after walking out at the very moment he could have become a Charlton legend and an England regular. Let's not forget where we were, what we were on the verge of becoming. Still hurts all these years later, like nothing else has ever hurt me in football. Gutted to this day.

I genuinely struggle to blame him for leaving when he did. He was a young, influential 22 year old who would have been getting all sorts of crap advice from a greedy agent; e.g. What happens if you don't go now and then get a serious injury between now and the end of the season? Or, What happens if you have a dip in form and no one wants you? These are all things that would have been unfairly used to influence him.

Also, irrespective of the timeframes, the money on the table for him in the 'here and now' would have been difficult to resist. There are very few people who would refuse a good pay rise to move to another job, irrespective of timeframes - very few (if any).

Good luck fella.
  • edited June 2017
    Chelsea could have worked out. One of their established midfielders could have been injured, Scott might have stepped in and had a run of games which made him undroppable. That I guess the chance he took, which didn't quite work out.

• hated him so much, because I loved him so much. Got over it by the time he was at Newcastle, but can't help think we were on the edge of something special, and he would have been the heartbeat of it.
  • He pissed me right off at the time.If he'd waited until the end of the season to move I'd have driven down, got him a drink and lunch and dropped him off at any club...if he'd stayed we would of had European football..99% sure.Im over it now.good luck to him.

Another annoying thing about missing out on European football that season is that millwall took the final place by reaching the cup final.
    They never beat a single premiership team in reaching the final and then got spanked at Wembley .
    We finished 7th in the premiership and missed out.
    Not that I'm still angry or anything.

F@_#/=%#$ c#$#$/ w#@$##rs
    He stropped off with no class whatsoever but to me totally understandable to take the life changing dough cos he didn't have a crystal ball to know where things would end up and you have to make hay when the sun shines .

If he'd have just stayed and played for the remainder of that season we may not have lost to Gillingham in the Cup and would have ended up with the route the scum took to get to Cardiff for the Cup Final (saying that would our best team in recent years have beaten the Zampa Road muppets)
    I'm not too bothered about us not getting to a Cup Final or Europe but I am bothered that the filthy pondlife shitbag sluts got all that glory instead of us when they weren't fit to lace our boots at the time .
    I think we went out in the 4th round that year, don't think we can say with much conviction that with Parker we would have been in with a shout of the final - that's a little far fetched. For starters we would have had to have beaten a Man United side that had Ronaldo, van Nistelrooy etc in it!
  • He was in the away end at the Gillingham cup game , i asked him why he was nt playing and he made up something about an injury - obvs did nt wanna get cup tied . Gutted when he left
  • assistant to Lampard at Oxford?
  • Beating Chelsea on 'that' boxing day was probably the highlight of our Premier years....unfortunately it was the beginning of the end of those years.....a side story from that game....My mate had the seat next to me, in the North (season tickets) he couldn't make the Chelsea game so for a Christmas present I wrapped up his season ticket and gave it to my brother in law (a Chelsea fan)....he thought Parker was superb and would love to see him in a Chelsea shirt, the rest is history.

Better then Rogue One
  • Dave2l said:

Beating Chelsea on 'that' boxing day was probably the highlight of our Premier years....unfortunately it was the beginning of the end of those years.....a side story from that game....My mate had the seat next to me, in the North (season tickets) he couldn't make the Chelsea game so for a Christmas present I wrapped up his season ticket and gave it to my brother in law (a Chelsea fan)....he thought Parker was superb and would love to see him in a Chelsea shirt, the rest is history.

Better then Rogue One
    ?
  • Simon E said:

He was the only player I've ever had the name of printed on a replica shirt, so it killed me when he left. Especially the way he left.

However......

Some ex-players!
  • Sponsored links:

• pettgra said:

Simon E said:

However......

My memory is different but it has probably dimmed with time. I was sitting in the West and I thought after he scored he sprinted up the touchline and never stopped until he reached his half.
    He was getting dogs abuse, so I suppose he was in his rights. That is if my memory serves me well!
    Yeah thats my memory as well... Was getting dogs abuse from us (me included) when Newcastle came to town yet looking back his goal and subsequent celebration for them was almost in the attitude of: "Look I'm a Newcastle player now, not gonna rub your noses in it, I'm off to celebrate with the fans of my current club"

Looking back on the two events it was very much the anti-Adebayor when he scored for Man City against Arsenal and went sprinting down the pitch to rub their noses in it... Parker on the other hand ran the other way so not to rub our noses in it
  • pettgra said:

Simon E said:

However......

Yeah thats my memory as well... Was getting dogs abuse from us (me included) when Newcastle came to town yet looking back his goal and subsequent celebration for them was almost in the attitude of: "Look I'm a Newcastle player now, not gonna rub your noses in it, I'm off to celebrate with the fans of my current club"

Looking back on the two events it was very much the anti-Adebayor when he scored for Man City against Arsenal and went sprinting down the pitch to rub their noses in it... Parker on the other hand ran the other way so not to rub our noses in it
    Thats a decent point of view, never thought of it that way.I actually thought he was going to continue his run up Floyd Road!
  • Carter said:

pettgra said:

pettgra said:

Simon E said:

However......

Thats a decent point of view, never thought of it that way.I actually thought he was going to continue his run up Floyd Road!
    We still done em though!

I think he gave a thumbs up to the covered end at the end of the game and as much as I hate to say it he has often tried to clap our fans when playing against us. I still gave him shit, I know I should be more emotionally mature but I don't think I've ever been angrier with a player. I've said it loads of times the argument of 'what would you do if someone offered you 5 times your salary to leave your employers' is irrelevant with football.

Like I say, good luck to him but he basically shattered our one chance of stepping up a gear. Fully expected him to not be with us forever but the momentum we would have had going into the summer and he would also have gone to Portugal with England and left with all of our grudging blessing.

I suppose it's a backhanded compliment to his ability, guts and class as a footballer the fact I am so resentful
    Me too. I wish him no ill; however, I have no time for him whatsoever.
    He should have refunded all those poor kids that got shirts for Xmas with Parker on the back. Could have come out of his signing on fee.
  • Simon E said:

However......

I don't know if your comment was tongue in cheek, but I remember quite clearly him hitting a rocket into the Covered End and ran the length of the pitch and celebrated wildly with the Geordies.
  • I realise that most players will end up leaving Charlton. But there's ways of leaving and Scott Parker let himself down badly. That's why he's nothing more than an ex-Charlton player that I'm not bothered about.
  • If he'd stayed a few more months, think about where we could have got to. I still have the league tables from early 2004 pinned to a board at home, showing Charlton in fourth as late as 26 matches in. Just think.

But then...

Think about where he could have got to. He was greedy enough to become an oligarch's trinket, wasting his career sat on the bench. I can't help suspecting he regrets it as sorely as we do. Just a few more months... a better move, a better club, a better career.

At least he matured into an honest pro. And we were privileged enough to see him at his most promising. Good luck to him.

He can make it up by taking us to the prem as as a coach.

Table snippet below is as of 32/12/2003

4 of his clubs in the top 7 and a couple you might expect to be there or thereabouts nowhere to be seen.
  • Dave2l said:

Better then Rogue One
    ?
    I should have highlighted "side story" was a joke that .....weren't funny
  • edited June 2017

Top player

I agree that his career after leaving us never quite reached the peaks it threatened to, as he could do everything when he played for us, whereas when he left us he settled into a defensive midfielder role.

I expect him to go into coaching, and I expect him to make a success of it, in the Curbs mode, quietly getting on with things, rather than trying to make it all about "him"

I remember his last game against wolves, he was absolutely everywhere, playing where curbs told him to in defensive midfield and then going walkies to try and score a goal, but always timed going forward to perfection that didn't leave us exposed, despite curbs going ape shit at him at the time.
    This was the first game I took Idle Jr to, and he was mesmerised by the whole thing.
    I must have worn my charlton shirt with OOH
    on the back. Seriously thought about going back and adding a P after he went.