Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Cameron Stewart back on trial

Comments

• Options
    He seemed ok last time around, strange though that he's been without a club for a whole season.

No harm giving him a trial but the question always will be if he's any good at this level why has he been absent from the game for so long?

There must have been loads of league 1 & 2 clubs looking for a player in that position the last 12 months.

• Options
    If he has a good trial period, would be worth a contract for a season. Won't be expensive and decent cover. Still only 26.
  • Options

Liked him when he was here before. Quick, direct, and a good shot on him.

I can't remember him. Has senility started to set in?
  • Options

Good player the first time he was with us in a tougher league. If he's still got the talent and has the commitment (which may have been why he hasn't played for a while) then it could end up a shrewd signing. Hope it works out for all parties.

Get Stewart in, a keeper, a LB and a RB then I think we're there.

You're assuming we don't let anyone leave... I assume.
  • Options
    Has there been any explanation why he did not have a club for,the whole of last season?
  • Options
    I do remember him picking up a neck injury in Jan 16 not sure if that was anything to do with it?
  • Options
    No, was on the scene last pre season.
  • Options
    I thought that the last time he played for us he was ok, but not outstanding. Would he be an improvement now.
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    As I've said before we are shot through with cynicism and disinterest.
    Not one signing we have made thus far has filled us with 100% enthusiasm, even Marshall (who is considered our best catch thus far),whilst meeting with general pleasure, has been subject to a bit of "he's too old" or "bet he gets injured in training and will be out for the rest of the season" type comments.
    We were never like this as a set of fans (even back in the Smellhurst days), and it just goes to show how we have become under this regime......somewhat devoid of any great expectations now 'or ever' is best how to describe us at this present time.
    In my 60 years of being a fan I've never felt such negative vibes from the terraces......just what can we do to get shot of Goldfinger and Pussy Galore.....I wish I had that magic wand that we are crying out for.....it's out there somewhere but who is and where is the Wizard that possesses it?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    msomerton said:

I thought that the last time he played for us he was ok, but not outstanding. Would he be an improvement now.

Not as a replacement for Holmes if he was to leave but he would be ample enough to cover injuries\suspension for our 1st choice wingers
  • Options
    Apologies if someone has already answered this but WHY didn't he play last season?

Couldn't find a club? Was being too greedy with his wage demands and clubs just told him to get lost? Injured? Or some other problem?
  • Options

Not one signing we have made thus far has filled us with 100% enthusiasm, even Marshall (who is considered our best catch thus far), whilst meeting with pleasure has been subject to a bit of "he's too old" or "bet he gets injured pre season and will be out for the season" type comments.
    We were never like this as a set of fans and it just goes how we have become under this regime......somewhat devoid of any great expectations now or ever is best how to describe us at this present time.
    In my 60 years of being a fan I've never felt such negative vibes from the terraces......just what can we do to get shot of Goldfinger and Pussy Galore.....I wish I had that magic wand that we are crying out for.....it's out there somewhere but who is and where is the Wizard that possesses it?

To be fair how many of the Powell signings in "that" season got everyone excited? Wiggins, Hollands, Hamer, Yann, Green, Morrison, Taylor etc

• Options
    at least we know his provenance and he has experience of our leagues
  • Options
    Has anyone, who has only ever scored three goals for Charlton, scored a better three than those goals?!

PS: Some of that defending v Leeds was pretty grim......
  • Options

Says all you need to know about the markets we will be shopping in to try and beef up our totally inadequate squad.

Says all you need to know about the markets we will be shopping in to try and beef up our totally inadequate squad.

If we have holmes and Marshall backed up by Stewart and fosu, do you not think that's adequate for league 1?
    The key word I used was "squad" which I choose to compare to the successful team of 2012. We are short in EVERY area of the pitch and one or two "what ifs" are not going to cure the problems.
    Certainly looking at players that have been discarded over the recent past, no matter their potential or previous infrequent good performance in a Charlton shirt are the way to reverse the trend.
    That trend which I have pointed out in meetings with Katrien in the past, is to continuously erode the overall quality of the squad.
    So whilst keeping Holmes would be deemed adequate, signing Stewart in my honest opinion is just more of what has been happening over the past few seasons i.e. One maybe two adequate signings supplemented by total gambles and the hope that a few of the academy will be able to step up and help out.
    This model is NOT going to work and always leaves the squad inadequate.

• Options

If we have holmes and Marshall backed up by Stewart and fosu, do you not think that's adequate for league 1?
    The key word I used was "squad" which I choose to compare to the successful team of 2012. We are short in EVERY area of the pitch and one or two "what ifs" are not going to cure the problems.
    Certainly looking at players that have been discarded over the recent past, no matter their potential or previous infrequent good performance in a Charlton shirt are the way to reverse the trend.
    That trend which I have pointed out in meetings with Katrien in the past, is to continuously erode the overall quality of the squad.
    So whilst keeping Holmes would be deemed adequate, signing Stewart in my honest opinion is just more of what has been happening over the past few seasons i.e. One maybe two adequate signings supplemented by total gambles and the hope that a few of the academy will be able to step up and help out.
    This model is NOT going to work and always leaves the squad inadequate.

I agree with most of what you have said, but you cannot have 20+ quality players. We didn't have that in 2012 and it's too much to ask for in League 1.
    I know you said "squad", my point was if you have Marshall and Holmes, potentially 2 of the best wingers in the division, and then 2 decent players as back-up, what more could you ask for.
    The concern would be if Robinson was forced to shop in the same market as he is for Stewart for the GK, LB, possibly striker, but its certainly not an issue that Robinson is looking at Stewart as 3rd/4th choice winger, if you think it is then you are living in a dream world.
  • Options
    edited June 2017

Liked him when he was here before. Could be an ideal back up player on the basis that we keep Holmes. Still only 26 so a good age....hopefully he can kick start his career and contribute as well as he did before.

I remember being disappointed when he joined Leeds instead of us in the past..was this the player Andy Hughes encouraged to join Leeds a couple of years ago and got hammered on social media for doing so.

Yes and I agree with you. If he's as good as he was before, it would be a good signing, as long as he's not a replacement for Holmes.
    I keep reading this - with all our signings and rumors.

Does this mean that if Holmes leaves we shouldn't try to replace him? Or does it mean that it would have to be Messi or Hazard? I only ask as Holmes is, presumably, on relatively low wages and probably won't secure a high transfer fee. I have no idea how we can replace him adequately but if he demands a move then I suspect he will get one.

As for Stewart, he played for us in a higher division and surrounded by players that would walk into our side right now so we should be pleased that the club are looking at him. I always thought he was a little lightweight which might be more of a problem in the third division but beggars can't be choosers can they?
  • Options
    Cafcfan1990, if the first team was there i.e. A starting XI capable of challenging at the very top of the division and a strong bench to support it then I would agree that adding a Stewart type would not be an issue. The current set up and past pre-seasons tells me something very different is more likely. I haven't seen one trialist over that period that has improved on what we had previously.
    Come August we will see who is living in the dream world.
    I also disagree that you can't have 20+ quality players relevant to the division that we find ourselves in. Good players at this level do not need to be expensive but in the most part they do need to be proven. If the clubs recruitment was managed better, then I believe we could achieve what we all want and should expect. One marquee signing followed by a couple of decent ones, selling our best and then relying on cast offs and academy step ups hasn't and won't achieve success.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Yeah, what a load of shite. I can't believe we're giving a trial to an ex player, who looked good in The Championship and cracked in some stunning goals for us.

Why would we want to sign him on a free ? Surely we can find a worse player and spend £500K on him ?

I hate you Charlton. You make me more miserable than any football fan in the world.
  • Options
    :lol:
  • Options
    edited June 2017

Not one signing we have made thus far has filled us with 100% enthusiasm, even Marshall (who is considered our best catch thus far),whilst meeting with general pleasure, has been subject to a bit of "he's too old" or "bet he gets injured in training and will be out for the rest of the season" type comments.
    We were never like this as a set of fans (even back in the Smellhurst days), and it just goes to show how we have become under this regime......somewhat devoid of any great expectations now 'or ever' is best how to describe us at this present time.

We as individuals, barring possibly really trying personal circumstances, have the ability to choose to be positive or negative.

For me, we have definitely moved forward from the likes of Nego, Thuram and Fraeye and I'm trying to move forward as well. It may have taken 3 years, but we are now getting, what you would expect as a League 1 club and I can't keep on criticising everything for no good reason. What's done is done and I will be judging Charlton on what happens going forward, not what has happened and can never be changed.
  • Options
    According to Ketts on Dr Kish, he is unlikely to be given a contract
  • Options
    ross1 said:

According to Ketts on Dr Kish, he is unlikely to be given a contract

http://www.cafcpicks.com/cgi-bin/drkish/display.pl?month=201706&date=20170628&time=0542

Seems to be pure speculation.
  • Options
    Shame if Ketts is right. Worth a short-term deal until January at least surely? If Roger Johnson can get a contract with us surely Stewart can.
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    Fair enough CE, I don't share your view that we are only a few players short of challenging for promotion but as you say we'll see. I have said it before that far too many of our supporters overrate our current playing squad and that view stands. I make it at least seven or eight short plus the quality of those waiting in the wings needs serious upgrading.
  • Options

Cafcfan1990, if the first team was there i.e. A starting XI capable of challenging at the very top of the division and a strong bench to support it then I would agree that adding a Stewart type would not be an issue. The current set up and past pre-seasons tells me something very different is more likely. I haven't seen one trialist over that period that has improved on what we had previously.
    Come August we will see who is living in the dream world.
    I also disagree that you can't have 20+ quality players relevant to the division that we find ourselves in. Good players at this level do not need to be expensive but in the most part they do need to be proven. If the clubs recruitment was managed better, then I believe we could achieve what we all want and should expect. One marquee signing followed by a couple of decent ones, selling our best and then relying on cast offs and academy step ups hasn't and won't achieve success.

Look, I am completely with you regarding what this regime have done. I went into this window like every other, expecting us to make a couple of decent signings but allow good players to leave and the squad be short.
    My point was that if you look at our wingers at the minute, we have 2 of the best in Marshall and Holmes. We cannot expect another one of them to come in as 3rd choice IMO, and I would be happy to have Stewart and Fosu as back up.
    With regards to having 20 quality proven League 1 players, it can't be done without costing money. Proven League 1 quality are either going to be on the wish list of every League 1 side or even some Champ sides.
    When we won the League under Powell, we didn't have 20 proven players, and we don't need it now, you want a strong 11, another 4/5 quality players on the bench and then another 4/5 who can do a reasonable job. That would be enough to get us out of this league.
    I am not expecting too much out of this lot, but IF, and its a big IF, we kept Holmes and Marshall, backed up by Stewart and Fosu, that is probably the best depth in the division.

I don't think you understood my point. I am not disagreeing that we have been left short every window by this lot, and I expect it again, but complaining about a trialist as a back up winger is actually not something they deserve stick about at all.