Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Cover to Cover: Light My Fire

2»

Comments

• Options
    I cover this with my band at our restaurant residency. Funnily enough, ours is based on the Shirley Bassey version, so closer in tempo to the Jose Feliciano version. We slow it down and make it dirty, groovy and funky with some slightly different chords to the original.

However, out of these two - well, out of every version I've heard - it's the Doors, every time, no question. They wrote it. The others are great interpretations, absolutely, and Jose Feliciano's is awesome, but other versions have limited scope - in that they're trying to take a bastion of one musical canon (psychedelic rock) and re-craft and re-contextualise it in another (Latin, or jazz/big band, or whatever). That means there's slightly less room for original expression, and it never quite sits right.

I cover it because 1) people like it; 2) there's no attempt to turn it into much more than what it is (background music); and 3) we like it and are paying tribute. Sure it's stylistically different, and probably something Henry wouldn't like ( ;) ), but it never would be and never attempts to be a patch on the original.
  • Options
    The Doors, just about, I do think Jose's version is worthy.

Sacrilege to say it no doubt, but the Doors could lose half of that instrumental break for me.
  • Options
    I like Jose's version, as I've said on other C2C threads, I prefer it when artists take a song and make it their own. This is a classic example. However, the Doors version is simply iconic.

The Doors get my vote.
  • Options
    The doors
  • Options
    Jose for me.
  • Options
    Jose the clear winner on this one.

another one next week
  • Options
    Jose won because his four votes counts for more than the Doors seventeen?
    Is Diane Abbott the scrutiniser?
  • Options
    seth plum said:

Jose won because his four votes counts for more than the Doors seventeen?
    Is Diane Abbott the scrutiniser?

Who said it was a democracy?

Anyway, I'm spending the rest of the afternoon watching the new Valley Pass website. Brilliant content.
  • Options
    iainment said:

McBobbin said:

Feliciano. The Doors sound like Vic Reeves doing an impression of Nick Cave

I so want to flag this.
    wouldn't give him/her the satisfaction (no pun intended). Probably a WUM.
  • Options
    McBobbin said:

Feliciano. The Doors sound like Vic Reeves doing an impression of Nick Cave

You need to clean your ears out.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I love both versions but if I had to pick my favourite I would say Jose Feliciano

• Options
    Love the doors. Read books about Morrison. Watched videos. Got the CD's.

However. 50-50 on this. Always loved the HF version.