Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

How was Vettel not disqualified today?

Comments

• Options

Sorry, did someone mention bike racing and boring?

Sorry Mr Trump.
    I bet you're not even a real President!
  • Options
    Maybe a bit irrelevant as it didn't happen... but 'what if' Hamilton experienced a high-speed car failure after the contact that Vettel basically admitted was deliberate (paraphrasing, but didn't he says something along the lines of 'it's a man's game')? I really wonder what would be happening now.

The thing is, in the racing context I think a stop-and-go was enough... but I think a black flag has to be the default for any silly business like that. It's so high profile and such a bad example.
  • Options
    Just to be clear, am I right in assuming that as the judges have already given him a 'penalty', that retrospective action cannot now be taken?
    I believe that to be the case.
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    When you way up the days events that arsehole is two points better off than he was in the title race and got done for being a total twat.
    Local lad Lewisham Ilton is two points worse off for playing with a straight bat and being well unlucky........YET AGAIN.
    Vettel is one Jammy bastard when you look at it, and came out of it far better off than he deserved, he's no doubt feeling things pretty much went his way.
  • Options

Just to be clear, am I right in assuming that as the judges have already given him a 'penalty', that retrospective action cannot now be taken?

I think they can, but it's not very likely at all because of the double-jeopardy of it.

Was listening to them talking about it on 5 Live last night and they were saying how the previous head of FIA probably would have waded in and given a retrospective punishment, but the current guy tends to leave it be.

There's already been some mild retrospective action with the 3 points on his racing license I suppose.
  • Options

When you way up the days events that arsehole is two points better off than he was in the title race and got done for being a total twat.
    Local lad Lewisham Ilton is two points worse off for playing with a straight bat and being well unlucky........YET AGAIN.
    Vettel is one Jammy bastard when you look at it!

It's lucky, but had Vettel not had the stop-and-go he'd have won and cleaned up on points. Hamilton's issue was unrelated and just back luck - without the penalty for Vettel he'd have been much worse off too.

As I said, I think the racing penalty of a stop-and-go is fine - but in the wider context it needs to be clamped down on way, way more. As Eddie Jordan said, it's the equivalent of a 'headbutt' or violent conduct in football and should be treated the same.
  • Options

They could disqualify Vettel from the race so he loses his 4th place. That won't affect future races and would be a fair punishment.

Yeah, they could. But as Ferrari, despite only coming 3rd in the constructors' last season took the highest amount of prize money because of their so-called "legacy status", do you think that is likely to happen? I don't.

Apologies for the sun link but it actually describes the situation fairly well. https://thesun.co.uk/sport/3511966/ferrari-f1-prize-payout-139million-finishing-third/

And we all thought FIFA were corrupt...
  • Options
    No, what they should do and what they will do are not always the same. I am getting fed up with corruption in everything - FIFA, F1, Cycling it is ridiculous and points to a broken world. We have all the worng people with power and standards and decency have gone out of the window.

What happens to a Sauber driver when he petulantly drives into Vettel? Fortunately, this stupid behaviour is rare - but Vettel, who I respect as a driver should be totally ashamed of himself.

• Options

No, what they should do and what they will do are not always the same. I am getting fed up with corruption in everything - FIFA, F1, Cycling it is ridiculous and points to a broken world. We have all the worng people with power and standards and decency have gone out of the window.

What happens to a Sauber driver when he petulantly drives into Vettel? Fortunately, this stupid behaviour is rare - but Vettel, who I respect as a driver should be totally ashamed of himself.

Ferrari don't do shame
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Ferrari don't do shame
    When you see pictures of Maurizio Arrivabene it's clear they don't do shave either.
  • Options

I thought that was an hotel chain?

• Options
    If they have gone to this step, i can't see them not doing something else or what's the point in reopening it.

It is so cut and dried that Vettel is at major fault. And he hasn't even apologised.

Think he may have the book thrown at him here big time
  • Options
    will be a suspended sentence or 5 place grid penalty at the maximum
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    Should include a retroactive disqualification from that race too IMO. That would take 12 points off Vettel and add 2 to Hamilton, leaving them both on 141 points!
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

will be a suspended sentence or 5 place grid penalty at the maximum

He is already under a suspended sentence for his radio rant in Mexico
  • Options
    Well any examination is going to be pretty damning of Vettel - Drivers don't do this every day - he clearly lost his cool and did something totally unaceptable - and by teh look of it, he is on a warning.
  • Options

I think they can, but it's not very likely at all because of the double-jeopardy of it.

Was listening to them talking about it on 5 Live last night and they were saying how the previous head of FIA probably would have waded in and given a retrospective punishment, but the current guy tends to leave it be.

There's already been some mild retrospective action with the 3 points on his racing license I suppose.
    I think they've already pulled the double jeopardy thing this season - was it Kvyatt in Canada who got a drive through penalty and then a stop and go for the same incident because they realised they'd given him the wrong punishment the first time around?
  • Options
    I think that disqualifying him from the last race solves that issue as he is still being punished once - just a more severe punishment than the original one.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    FIA confirm no further action.
  • Options
    Ferrari International Assistance strike again! Green light for any driver to ram into another whenever they're a bit peeved. Nice one!
  • Options
    Rizzo said:

Ferrari International Assistance strike again! Green light for any driver to ram into another whenever they're a bit peeved. Nice one!

The green light was given in Australia in 1994. Seems that British drivers are destined to never get fair treatment.
  • Options
    Vettel "has extended his sincere apologies to the FIA and the wider motorsport family", the FIA said.

The secret of success is sincerity. Once you can fake that you've got it made!

Depressingly predictable
  • Options
    They were never going to take further action, this was for show only.
  • Options
    I think they considered it because the situation warranted it, but you don't punish Ferrari in F1, you just don't. If it was Perez he probably would have got a three race ban for instance. The problem the sport has now is the punishment for deliberately driving into another car is now a 10 second stop and go, which is quite frankly ridiculous.

I will be interested how this affects Vettel. He is a decent bloke who has in the moment anger management issues - like many others. He will be fully aware that he has let the sport and himself down. I doubt there is one fellow driver who will not be angry with him, becuase needless reckless behaviour is dangerous.
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    Bottas has just won the Austrian Grand Prix... Haven't seen anything but Vettel has apparently said to him twice (and in his TV interview once) claiming that Bottas must have jump started for him to have had such a good start at the beginning of the race - Like I say I've seen nothing but surely the technology is there to tell straight away if a Driver gets away early?

As for Vettel - Regardless if it was dont you think you should shut the fuck up after the last few weeks and just keep a polite silence over driving incidents?

• Options

Bottas has just won the Austrian Grand Prix... Haven't seen anything but Vettel has apparently said to him twice (and in his TV interview once) claiming that Bottas must have jump started for him to have had such a good start at the beginning of the race - Like I say I've seen nothing but surely the technology is there to tell straight away if a Driver gets away early?

As for Vettel - Dont you think you should shut the fuck up after the last few weeks and just keep a polite silence over driving incidents?

Tongue in cheek comments after the race from Vettel and Ricciardo about the start, perhaps people should shut the fuck up about Vettel and stop jumping to ridiculous conclusions about throwaway remarks in the driver cooldown room and podium interview?
  • Options
    sam3110 said:

As for Vettel - Dont you think you should shut the fuck up after the last few weeks and just keep a polite silence over driving incidents?

Tongue in cheek comments after the race from Vettel and Ricciardo about the start, perhaps people should shut the fuck up about Vettel and stop jumping to ridiculous conclusions about throwaway remarks in the driver cooldown room and podium interview?
    Someone's a Vettel fanboy.