Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

March against terrorism yesterday in London

Comments

• Options
    That there was a Muslim speaker and a separate EDL rally elsewhere does give me pause, even though I really don't think the word 'lads' should have been in the rally name #lad
  • Options
    cafctom said:

Uboat said:

cafctom said:

Uboat said:

I wonder what % of those attending the march would align themselves with the EDL.

My guess would be 90%.

My guess is that you're talking shite about something you didn't even attend.
    What's your estimate?
    I've no idea, but as you're confident enough to put a number on it why don't you tell us your reasons behind why you think 90% align themselves with EDL?

After you....
    Football fans, especially in London, lean to the right in my experience. The coverage that I saw focused especially on West Ham and Millwall, so even more right wing.
    Most people don't go on marches, even about issues they agree with, so you terms to get the most committed to the cause.
    I saw quite a few videos and other coverage and it looked as expected.
    There was quite a lot of comment on social media grin those in support of the march who basically gave the game away.
  • Options
    Leuth said:

Next time make it a footie lads, ladies, intersex interfaith hugathon and I won't be hmm-ing at all ;)

You missed transgender so you must be biased :wink:
  • Options
    Uboat said:

Okay, you win. I am a far-right item.

Should've used the handle "Sherman", woulda worked better on a couple of levels
  • Options
    Uboat said:

cafctom said:

Uboat said:

cafctom said:

Uboat said:

I wonder what % of those attending the march would align themselves with the EDL.

My guess would be 90%.

What's your estimate?
    I've no idea, but as you're confident enough to put a number on it why don't you tell us your reasons behind why you think 90% align themselves with EDL?

After you....
    Football fans, especially in London, lean to the right in my experience. The coverage that I saw focused especially on West Ham and Millwall, so even more right wing.
    Most people don't go on marches, even about issues they agree with, so you terms to get the most committed to the cause.
    There was quite a lot of comment on social media grin those in support of the march who basically gave the game away.
    OK, so your opinion that London football fans 'lean to the right' is a little far off from the statement that '90% are aligned with the EDL' .

What do you mean by 'it looked as expected'? They are on a march airing their anger about a cause they're passionate about. Does that make them 'EDL' like? The mass marches from Charlton fans over the past couple of years are surely the same in your view then?
  • Options
    cafctom said:

Uboat said:

cafctom said:

Uboat said:

cafctom said:

Uboat said:

My guess would be 90%.

What's your estimate?

After you....
    OK, so your opinion that London football fans 'lean to the right' is a little far off from the statement that '90% are aligned with the EDL' .

What do you mean by 'it looked as expected'? They are on a march airing their anger about a cause they're passionate about. Does that make them 'EDL' like? The mass marches from Charlton fans over the past couple of years are surely the same in your view then?
    Charlton fans aren't typical of London, in my view and those on the right of our support were the last to come over to the protests.

So what's your estimate?
  • Options
    Uboat said:

cafctom said:

Uboat said:

cafctom said:

Uboat said:

cafctom said:

Uboat said:

My guess would be 90%.

What's your estimate?

After you....

Charlton fans aren't typical of London, in my view and those on the right of our support were the last to come over to the protests.

So what's your estimate?
    I don't have an estimate because I wasn't there and didn't actually know about it until reading this thread - therefore wouldn't be so judgemental about it as yourself.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    cafctom said:

Uboat said:

cafctom said:

Uboat said:

cafctom said:

Uboat said:

cafctom said:

Uboat said:

My guess would be 90%.

What's your estimate?

After you....

So what's your estimate?
    I don't have an estimate because I wasn't there and didn't actually know about it until reading this thread - therefore wouldn't be so judgemental about it as yourself.
    Okay, well I can help you there.
    It was about 90%.
  • Options

Uboat said:

cafctom said:

Uboat said:

cafctom said:

Uboat said:

My guess would be 90%.

What's your estimate?

After you....
    I've seen more black people at West Ham and Millwall, than I ever have at Charlton
    Which proves absolutely nothing.
  • Options
    Uboat said:

cafctom said:

Uboat said:

cafctom said:

Uboat said:

cafctom said:

Uboat said:

cafctom said:

Uboat said:

My guess would be 90%.

What's your estimate?

After you....

So what's your estimate?
    Okay, well I can help you there.
    It was about 90%.
    OK then brainbox tell me why they didn't go to the actual EDL march going on the same day then?
  • Options
    Uboat said:

cafctom said:

Uboat said:

cafctom said:

Uboat said:

My guess would be 90%.

What's your estimate?

After you....
    Leaning to the right does not equate to being an EDL supporter though.

I lean to the right myself but think most of the EDL are a bunch of dicks and tarnish, through their actions, what are quite often legitimate views.
  • Options

Uboat said:

cafctom said:

Uboat said:

cafctom said:

Uboat said:

My guess would be 90%.

What's your estimate?

After you....
    I've seen more black people at West Ham and Millwall, than I ever have at Charlton
    There are very few black fans at most of the grounds I've been to - not always been the most welcoming of places. 70s when I started going to football was pretty awful - it's got better over time.
  • Options
    Oi Uboat, much as I love to fight the fash you have to pick your battles, and this doesn't seem like the right battle. Obviously there were unsavoury elements in the throng but this seems to have been quite a broad church, and while the idea of a 'footie lads march against terrorism' rightly set off every alarm bell going, the reality of it seems to have been working towards some kind of entente with the Islamic community, alongside an ulterior message of 'eff off terrorists'. As someone who believes that the way out of this mess is through greater integration and more Islamic role-models in society, I can't condemn such an effort.
  • Options

Uboat said:

cafctom said:

Uboat said:

cafctom said:

Uboat said:

My guess would be 90%.

What's your estimate?

After you....

I lean to the right myself but think most of the EDL are a bunch of dicks and tarnish, through their actions, what are quite often legitimate views.
    Good comment.
    I still have my suspicions though.
  • Options
    stonemuse said:

Leuth said:

Next time make it a footie lads, ladies, intersex interfaith hugathon and I won't be hmm-ing at all ;)

You missed transgender so you must be biased :wink:
    We should use the full LGBTTQQIAAP acronym to avoid any offense.
  • Options
    Leuth said:

Oi Uboat, much as I love to fight the fash you have to pick your battles, and this doesn't seem like the right battle. Obviously there were unsavoury elements in the throng but this seems to have been quite a broad church, and while the idea of a 'footie lads march against terrorism' rightly set off every alarm bell going, the reality of it seems to have been working towards some kind of entente with the Islamic community, alongside an ulterior message of 'eff off terrorists'. As someone who believes that the way out of this mess is through greater integration and more Islamic role-models in society, I can't condemn such an effort.

I hope I am wrong, but pretty much everything I saw about this looked dodgy.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Uboat said:

Leuth said:

I think that the time to get worried is if a) this becomes a regular thing, and b) the unsavoury elements begin to dominate. No arrests and no counter-demonstration would indicate that is was one to watch and see
  • Options

Uboat said:

Uboat said:

cafctom said:

Uboat said:

cafctom said:

Uboat said:

My guess would be 90%.

What's your estimate?

After you....
    It clearly proves to me that black people have obviously gone on the largest independent supporters forums of each club, seen that members of the Charlton forum name themselves after after Nazi death subs and thought, "fuck that, we'll go Wall or West Ham where they seem far more liberal and accommodating"
    Regarding uboats, I refer the honourable gentleman to my earlier answer.
  • Options

Uboat said:

Uboat said:

Uboat said:

cafctom said:

Uboat said:

cafctom said:

Uboat said:

My guess would be 90%.

What's your estimate?

After you....
    It clearly proves to me that black people have obviously gone on the largest independent supporters forums of each club, seen that members of the Charlton forum name themselves after after Nazi death subs and thought, "fuck that, we'll go Wall or West Ham where they seem far more liberal and accommodating"
    90% of people wont see it like that
    Which is why History should be compulsory to 16.
  • Options
    Uboat said:

Leuth said:

Guess what? You're wrong.

Stop trying to see baddies in anyone who decides to protest whether left or right and just accept some people think a bit different to you without looking for something sinister.

• Options
    Addickted said:

Uboat said:

Leuth said:

Guess what? You're wrong.

Stop trying to see baddies in anyone who decides to protest whether left or right and just accept some people think a bit different to you without looking for something sinister.

Sorry, dad. I'll go and tidy my room.
  • Options
    Uboat said:

Uboat said:

Uboat said:

Uboat said:

cafctom said:

Uboat said:

cafctom said:

Uboat said:

My guess would be 90%.

What's your estimate?

After you....
    90% of people wont see it like that
    Which is why History should be compulsory to 16.
    Sounds like you stopped studying it when you were 10.

• Options

Uboat said:

cafctom said:

Uboat said:

cafctom said:

Uboat said:

My guess would be 90%.

What's your estimate?

After you....

As a matter of interest, what are the "legitimate views" that are held by the neo-Nazis in the EDL?
  • Options
    I've just googled neo nazism.

It's given me a headache. Surely all of the seven people who admit to being neo nazis in the U.K. are as a result of the current austerity programme.