Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

March against terrorism yesterday in London

Huge mention for the 'Football lads alliance against terrorism' march in London yesterday which was completely unrelated to anything EDL etc etc.

Easy as time goes by for the words of anger and commitment to do something to fade away.

Thousands turned out and not a single bit of trouble or controversy.

Thousands who are usually rivals on a Sat coming together for something they care passionately about.

You could slag them all you want but they are doing something and not just sitting and mouthing off.

I salute them all for a perfect March and show of solidarity. I just hope that as they gain popularity they don't attract opposition from the ultra left groups, as it is only when that ever happens, that trouble then occurs.

Plenty of videos online for those who care about the message, turnout or conduct.

Well done the football community.

Comments

• Hmmm...
  • I heard nothing about it before and nothing since!
  • I think a lot of effort went before to detract it from attracting the wrong element as that would help no one.

Re sinc, there is plenty online about it, but typically it's been linked with other (less peaceful) marches that occurred throughout the Country yesterday. Typically, it's only when you read the detail you realise there was no link whatsoever to the other marches.
  • Why hmmmm out of interest Se9?

I don't see how this can be construed as a bad thing. Everyone was saying after the last attack that enough is enough, we need to do something, this can't go on etc etc.

The man on the street does not have a vast array of opportunities to influence things but we can March peacefully, in numbers, to show solidarity.

I went on one of these in 2006 when there were about 80 people on it. There may have been up to 5k yesterday. It's good that people don't feel ashamed or unable to march against what they believe in.

I liked the Millwall and West Ham flowers together at the front. Some things are bigger than football.

And it should also be highlighted to show that not every March like this is a racist, far right, aggro thing. It can be simply the average man showing he is angry and fed up and wanting to show this and people deserve to know this.

That's the second time you've told us it "wasn't racist"/linked to EDL etc, why dost thou protest so much ?
  • Guess that's the terrorist problem sorted!
  • se9addick said:

Why hmmmm out of interest Se9?

I don't see how this can be construed as a bad thing. Everyone was saying after the last attack that enough is enough, we need to do something, this can't go on etc etc.

The man on the street does not have a vast array of opportunities to influence things but we can March peacefully, in numbers, to show solidarity.

I went on one of these in 2006 when there were about 80 people on it. There may have been up to 5k yesterday. It's good that people don't feel ashamed or unable to march against what they believe in.

I liked the Millwall and West Ham flowers together at the front. Some things are bigger than football.

And it should also be highlighted to show that not every March like this is a racist, far right, aggro thing. It can be simply the average man showing he is angry and fed up and wanting to show this and people deserve to know this.

That's the second time you've told us it "wasn't racist"/linked to EDL etc, why dost thou protest so much ?
    Why do you think? Because any March/protest like this is always linked to them and then dismissed out of hand.

It's very easy to dismiss a movement or message when it's incorrectly and unfairly linked to another group.

The people who went to the time and effort to arrange this March and stop it being hijacked deserve the credit that it would otherwise not get, as soon as some uninformed person links it to the EDL etc.

That's why I'm reiterating the fact.
    But if you hadn't of mentioned it why would anyone have linked it to the EDL?
  • Looked a really well supported march.

I've seen a lot of photos on social media and plenty of diversity throughout the photos.
  • Sponsored links:

• Oh come on.......because, as you're fully aware, that's what always happens with the media and the general public.

Let's be honest here, any protest by a large, predominantly white and male orientated movement will, unfortunately, always be viewed in that way initially.

• edited June 2017

Guess that's the terrorist problem sorted!

You could say the same for any protest, March or movement couldn't you FOD?

Like any movement, the average person can't change or stop these things directly.

But we can protest peacefully and send a message out. Freedom of speech and a right to protest is usually encouraged and applauded, until its against terrorism?

Sometimes it's just the principle, that we're not going to just sit back and do nothing - a show of solidarity that might not achieve anything in the overall scheme, but it might make those participating feel that they are doing something about it, the only thing they can do.
  • I'm sure he already knew that, but was just trying to discredit me and the message.

I genuinely didn't - I'd never heard of Football Lads Against Terrirism until I read this thread and had no reason to link them to the EDL. I just thought it was odd how you initiated the thread and expressly stated it was nothing to do with the EDL.

Love the name though!
  • se9addick said:

se9addick said:

Why do you think? Because any March/protest like this is always linked to them and then dismissed out of hand.

It's very easy to dismiss a movement or message when it's incorrectly and unfairly linked to another group.

The people who went to the time and effort to arrange this March and stop it being hijacked deserve the credit that it would otherwise not get, as soon as some uninformed person links it to the EDL etc.

Yes, no doubt.

But you probably knew that.
  • Well done to those involved. Don't understand why people feel the need to be sceptical about it, but unfortunately it doesn't surprise me either.

Much more worthwhile and should have been more newsworthy than that 'Day of Rage' shite that was going on the other day.

Apart from when you read about it on this thread, of course......
  • Sponsored links:

• se9addick said:

se9addick said:

Because that's the football fan stereotype

Apart from when you read about it on this thread, of course......
    you know what i mean.
  • Good to hear football fans were marching against terrorism and that they were keen to distance themselves from the thuggish, racist EDL.

There was been a theme of people dismissing any support for good causes as "virtue signaling" but I've always thought that was ridiculous and just a cheap way to dismiss others' actions.
  • Just discovered another reason why The Organiser feels the need to distance the march from the far right - look at Lionheart GB's page on Facebook. Claiming it as something to do with their ideals when there's a banner clearly visible saying they are against extremism...

The Nazis are hijacking the march anyway.
  • Just discovered another reason why The Organiser feels the need to distance the march from the far right - look at Lionheart GB's page on Facebook. Claiming it as something to do with their ideals when there's a banner clearly visible saying they are against extremism...

The Nazis are hijacking the march anyway.

That's a pity.
  • Nice touch from Pompey amongst many others.
  • Solidarity for the day
  • Nice touch from Pompey amongst many others.

Unfortunate they had to put no surrender. I know what that means and it is a slogan of the old NF and BNP amongst others.
    Hopefully it was an innocent mistake.