Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Streaming games from outside the U.K. 2017/18

Apologies if I'm late to the party on this and please do direct me if another thread already exists but given that so many on here seem to live outside of the UK - I wondered if anyone has come across this?
Apparently EFL are setting up a service to stream games through 'iFollow' for 2017/18 for £110/year to those outside of the U.K. Apparently Charlton are 1 of only a few who have opted out - the impression I get is because they are thinking of doing their own similar service - anyone have any more info?

Comments

• I remember this being mentioned but I hadn't heard Charlton opted out, that would make me gutted/very upset.
  • 'tis true i'm afraid. Was looking forward to this as well -
    "We are therefore unable to provide subscriptions to fans of Accrington Stanley, Aston Villa, Birmingham City, Bristol City, Charlton Athletic, Derby County, Fulham, Hull City, Forest Green Rovers, Leeds United, Middlesbrough, QPR, Sunderland and Wolverhampton Wanderers. Please contact your club for more information."
  • It's easy money for the club, I hope that they do something like this.

CAFC Player was good for the 10 minute highlights but being able to watch the whole 90 mins 'on demand' would be great because I don't think I'd stay up to 3am for a live stream.

I'd be tempted to sign up to a service like this but obviously it would depend on the cost and us playing with a competitive team going out to win matches.
  • It's easy money for the club, I hope that they do something like this.

CAFC Player was good for the 10 minute highlights but being able to watch the whole 90 mins 'on demand' would be great because I don't think I'd stay up to 3am for a live stream.

I'd be tempted to sign up to a service like this but obviously it would depend on the cost and us playing with a competitive team going out to win matches.

That would be brilliant. They could have all my money
  • SDAddick said:

It's easy money for the club, I hope that they do something like this.

• Ordinarily I'd say it's a huge difference. Watching something at 25fps with someone else telling you what to look at. I used to hate missing a home game and watching it on TV, it was like watching a live stream of a party I hadn't been invited to.

But today? Paying RD the minimum, and not having to deal with the poisonous atmosphere in a mostly-empty ground sounds perfect.

And I'm guessing it wouldn't take much to sort out a VPN?
  • edited June 23
  • Sponsored links:

• I believe this is part of the deal with the guys that were running the website for nearly every team in the football league. Obviously a lot of our fans complained about that and so we decided, over a year ago now, to not renew our existing deal with them and go back to "in house".

Unfortunately, that means that when this new streaming service comes to market, we aren't a part of it, but as it seems we are the only(?) club in League 1 "opting out", I'd imagine you'll be able to find a way of watching all the games anyway, and perhaps we will launch our own service using the UoG team who record every home game anyway
  • How will Roland be able to watch us now?????
  • edited June 23
    se9addick said:

SDAddick said:

It's easy money for the club, I hope that they do something like this.

You realise you'd be watching Charlton, right ?
    Look I don't have a lot in my life.

'tis true i'm afraid. Was looking forward to this as well -
    "We are therefore unable to provide subscriptions to fans of Accrington Stanley, Aston Villa, Birmingham City, Bristol City, Charlton Athletic, Derby County, Fulham, Hull City, Forest Green Rovers, Leeds United, Middlesbrough, QPR, Sunderland and Wolverhampton Wanderers. Please contact your club for more information."

In a strange way I'm glad that these clubs have opted out... No disrespect to SDAddick and others yet I'm paying £375 to go and watch 23-games this season @ the Valley whilst someone from outside the country can see 46-games for £110?

Other than being in the Stadium whats the difference? - Yes I know Stewards / policing has to be paid for but still... Kinda further proof that average fan who goes to games is being ripped off in favour of those able to watch from the United States or China etc.
    You realize you'll be watching Charlton, right? ;)

I take your point. If it were an option I'd love to be there for every game, I know you know that. It obviously isn't. It's hard to understand what's going on with the team when you're listening to internet radio (CAFC Player). It's an experience I absolutely love, but to get to see us week in and week out I'm sure would sometimes be soul crushing, but I would love it nonetheless.

When we were in the Championship this last go around we got maybe ten ish streaming games as we were relegated. We seemed to be on a lot despite being shit. It was really lovely (er, in a way. I do miss JBG and Diarra).
  • If every other team is involved, we will be streamed. I find it hard to believe that most of these streams won't be ripped and uploaded elsewhere online to watch.
  • If every other team is involved, we will be streamed. I find it hard to believe that most of these streams won't be ripped and uploaded elsewhere online to watch.

I guess you sign up to the Service for the club that you support rather spending £110 and getting access to every single Football League tie available... So regardless of the fact that we've not signed up to the Service, no doubt Charlton v Bristol Rovers will be available for away fans and so like you say, ripped and uploaded somewhere online whether it be Kodi etc.

I guess you sign up to the Service for the club that you support rather spending £110 and getting access to every single Football League tie available... So regardless of the fact that we've not signed up to the Service, no doubt Charlton v Bristol Rovers will be available for away fans and so like you say, ripped and uploaded somewhere online whether it be Kodi etc.
    Sadly if it isn't on Kodi you would need 23 £110 subscriptions to watch us play every game.
  • edited June 29
    You used to be able to sign into other teams' services and access their radio commentary for example with one login... not saying they would allow this again but you never know.
  • You used to be able to sign into other teams' services and access their radio commentary for example with one login... not saying they would allow this again but you never know.

I can't imagine they'd make that mistake again but you never know...
  • ...he says fully expecting to have a go.

Also, I want to pester Olly about this at some point, but they seem to be going through the CMS migration now and he may not be allowed to say anything yet. I really hope we do this or a similar service. It would absolutely mean the world to me.
  • I'm surprised they opted out. Katrien and co could have used it as a valid excuse for the drop in season ticket sales.

Like other overseas Addicks, this would have been fantastic for me and I hope the club can do something. I dislike illegal streams with the advertising, stuttering pictures, freezes etc.

• Sponsored links:

• I'm surprised they opted out. Katrien and co could have used it as a valid excuse for the drop in season ticket sales.

Like other overseas Addicks, this would have been fantastic for me and I hope the club can do something. I dislike illegal streams with the advertising, stuttering pictures, freezes etc.

Stuttering pictures and freezes can often (not always) be the result of a slow internet connection.
  • edited July 3
    Looks like the club won't be offering it themselves either - the info on the website about 'valley pass' talks about commentary etc but no live streaming. Another great way to keep the 'customers' happy
  • I can't even see how to sign up to Valley Pass... not even a lol here.
  • Dazzler21 said:

I can't even see how to sign up to Valley Pass... not even a lol here.

I don't think you can yet. Right now it's free for the next couple weeks, including for our games in Ireland. That's what I gather from the site. Things aren't super clear there. It may be because they can't be too clear yet, or not, I don't know.
  • On matchdays Callum is in charge. Simple.
  • Could you not just watch us on another teams feed? Might be a silly question.
  • SDAddick said:

Dazzler21 said:

I can't even see how to sign up to Valley Pass... not even a lol here.

I don't think you can yet. Right now it's free for the next couple weeks, including for our games in Ireland. That's what I gather from the site. Things aren't super clear there. It may be because they can't be too clear yet, or not, I don't know.
    There's no information on the specific valley pass page, just on the page that talks about introducing the new website - it gives brief details of what will be available but no mention of a live stream service for league games
  • PopIcon said:

Could you not just watch us on another teams feed? Might be a silly question.

You could but each team charges for their own club so a £110 subscription to, say, MK Dons would net you two Charlton games.
  • PopIcon said:

Could you not just watch us on another teams feed? Might be a silly question.

You could but each team charges for their own club so a £110 subscription to, say, MK Dons would net you two Charlton games.
    Okay, thought that there might have been a ppv option.