Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Tour de France 2017

Comments

• Anyone who's raced can tell you what happened there. Sagan followed Demare across the road and was focused on his wheel. When Demare stopped drifting across the road, Sagan did as well. Cav saw the gap, and legitimately went through it. On the way through, Sagan made a minute adjustment to his right which caused Cav to lose balance and lean. Nothing wrong at that point - happens often in races (happened to me a couple of weeks ago in fact). However, Sagan then threw the elbow to protect his position. I'm pretty sure that at no point did Sagan think Cav would end up in the barrier, but he definitely knew he was off balance so flicking him was dangerous and reckless. Bit extreme to throw him off the race, but I can understand why they did it.
  • Farcical decision to throw Sagan out of the race.

Like throwing Messi out of a world cup for a late tackle.
  • olster said:

Farcical decision to throw Sagan out of the race.

Yet it would be like a late tackle from Messi on Ronaldo that ended the latters tournament?

Mark Renshaw got the same punishment after a head incident between him and another rider either last year or the year before (Cant remember which) so the riders should know that the Tour organiser dont mess around
  • olster said:

Yet it would be like a late tackle from Messi on Ronaldo that ended the latters tournament?

Mark Renshaw got the same punishment after a head incident between him and another rider either last year or the year before (Cant remember which) so the riders should know that the Tour organiser dont mess around
    Losing Sagan is a real shame, but the race officials have acted decisively, as they needed to do (IMHO Sagan was done for both the offence and the consequence, but I don't have a problem with that).
  • olster said:

2010!

Cav's injury happens to be bad enough for him not to continue, but it's not right that the result of a crash determines the punishment. It's racing, crashes happen - Valverde's race was ended through no one's fault.
  • Also the tour organisers (ASO) are not the ones who made the decision (UCI)
  • olster said:

olster said:

2010!

Cav's injury happens to be bad enough for him not to continue, but it's not right that the result of a crash determines the punishment. It's racing, crashes happen - Valverde's race was ended through no one's fault.
    Yet Valverde didnt have to worry about someone's elbow putting him off balance?
  • edited July 2017

olster said:

I agree, bit harsh for Sagan as elbows are part and parcel of racing, heads aren't tho'.

Think Broadman summed it up, he was punished for the consequence not the offence. But hey ho, Sagan will live to fight another day.

• Got to feel sorry for Cav as this may have been his last opportunity to get the other four stage wins. I hope not.
  • Sponsored links:

• Got to feel sorry for Cav as this may have been his last opportunity to get the other four stage wins. I hope not.

Agree - gutted for him, and he handled himself brilliantly well with all the mics in his face last night.
  • olster said:

olster said:

2010!

Yet Valverde didnt have to worry about someone's elbow putting him off balance?
    My point was more around sometimes riders bounce back up, and sometimes they're injured enough to pull out of the race.

Also I wouldn't say that Sagan's elbow was in face, more in response to losing his balance.
  • I think the UCI should be applauded for taking this action. He is one of the biggest names in the sport and nailed on to win another green jersey. it would be easier for them not to do anything.

How different their actions to the FIA with Vettel.
  • Regardless of yesterday though today is a huge stage... First trip up the Mountains we'll see who is in proper form today
  • And the last two times on this particular stage to La Planche des Belles Fils, the first four to finish have included the riders who took the three podium places in Paris - so it's a good indication of who might do what.
  • Cav did really well today. It's not quite there but for him to be in one ruin is nothing short of miraculous. My guess is he'll make the first mountain stage, then will drop out before the one after. Great sprint from Kittel today. He weaves around for quite a while there waiting for a gap then absolutely Monstered it through. If the best six sprinters in the world line up side by side with everything being equal with 300m to go, Kittel will win every time. He's just got too much raw power.

Who would you pick in their prime? Cav or Kittel?

What surprises me is the fact that Kittel is probably just as fast as Cav but after his fifth tour he only has 10-Stages which shows that Kittel doesnt really have the consistency whereas for Cav it shows how well he's done just to reach 30-Stage wins
    Difficult - they're a different kind of sprinter. For all out bullish speed over an extended distance, I'd take Kittel every time. I'm convinced that from a standing start with no wheels to follow, over 300m, peak Kittel beats peak Cav by 30 metres. However, when it comes to positioning, the initial kick and, frankly, his bollocks, Cav ruins Kittel. Watching the last kilometre of a sprint from above tells you all you need to know about Cav. It's just perfection - the timing, the jump, the instinct to grab the right wheel. With Kittel, he relies much more on the team train to drop him off with 200m to go.
  • Breakaway are 50secs clear of the Peloton and have reached the climb of the day.

Now it'll get interesting!!
  • The break has been caught... Time for SKY and BMC to show what each can do

The latter have already lost a good few riders trying to catch the breakaway - Or was that the plan; BMC catch the breakaway and then they let the SKY riders exhaust themselves on the mountain as they take care of Froome and Thomas.
  • Froome and Porte have attacked and are chasing down Fabio Aru... Quintana and Thomas dropped
  • Aru wins the stage... Froome has gone past Porte!!

Froome gets third and should get some bonus seconds for that... He should be the new leader of the Yellow Jersey
  • Sponsored links:

• Great by Aru
  • Froome now in yellow
  • Has 12secs on Thomas | 14secs on Aru
  • Britain and Ireland with four of the top six ...impressive.
  • edited July 2017
    stonemuse said:

Britain and Ireland with four of the top six ...impressive.

Britain really as Dan Martin was born in Birmingham and rode for us until 2006 (when he switched to Ireland)

Note: Just seen that he's the Nephew of Stephen Roche (Ireland) so is naturally Half-Irish rather than simply being like the whole of the Welsh Football Team and choosing them because they couldnt get into the England Team
  • stonemuse said:

Britain and Ireland with four of the top six ...impressive.

Britain really as Dan Martin was born in Birmingham and rode for us until 2006 (when he switched to Ireland)

Note: Just seen that he's the Nephew of Stephen Roche (Ireland) so is naturally Half-Irish rather than simply being like the whole of the Welsh Football Team and choosing them because they couldnt get into the England Team
    Interesting, didn't know that.
  • olster said:

olster said:

2010!

Sagan wasn't DQ'd just because of the incident with Cav. For that incident he was demoted places and had time added. He was then later DQ'd because other actions of his were deemed a danger to other riders at the end of the stage.
  • Interesting bit of information popping up on the BBC Tour feed.

The Bora-Hansgrohe team has appealed to the Court of Arbitration for Sport over the decision to disqualify Peter Sagan from the race.

Nothing too sinister there.

The statement argues that under UCI rules, Sagan should have been allowed to state his case, something Bora claim did not happen.

Again, nothing wrong with that.

It's this next bit:

If the motion to suspend, on which the CAS will have to decide now, is granted, Peter Sagan will immediately re-engage in the Tour and, together with the team BORA – hansgrohe, compete for a successful Tour de France 2017.

How would that happen? I've never heard anything like that happening before. He's missed two stages already and, with all due respect to Cas, they don't appear to work particularly quickly.