Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Juliet balcony 2nd floor flat

edited June 2017 in Not Sports Related
Hi all,

I literally know nothing about Juliet Balconies! I am in the middle of moving from a house with a garden to a flat that has a communal garden but no balcony.

I'd like to look at changing the living room window to Juliet balcony.

Just wondering if anyone has any knowledge about them? I think that I will need the Freeholder's permission and Building Regs.

The biggest problem that I imagine could be an issue is that the flat is on the second floor. Is it possible to fit the balcony and the opening doors from the inside? If not possible to fit internally, I am wondering if the job could be done on ladders or if I would need to have scaffolding put up. If the latter is true, I imagine that the whole job would start looking very expensive!

Thanks for any guidance and suggestions.

Comments

• Options
    A Juliet balcony sounds so romantic..
  • Options
    fattmatt said:

Hi all,

I literally know nothing about Juliet Balconies! I am in the middle of moving from a house with a garden to a flat that has a communal garden but no balcony.

I'd like to look at changing the living room window to Juliet balcony.

Just wondering if anyone has any knowledge about them? I think that I will need the leaseholder's permission and Building Regs.

The biggest problem that I imagine could be an issue is that the flat is on the second floor. Is it possible to fit the balcony and the opening doors from the inside? If not possible to fit internally, I am wondering if the job could be done on ladders or if I would need to have scaffolding put up. If the latter is true, I imagine that the whole job would start looking very expensive!

Thanks for any guidance and suggestions.

Don't do off a ladder, scaffold tower maybe.
    You might need permission off the freeholder.
  • Options
    Oh yes. I meant 'Freeholder' not 'leaseholder' I'll edit my post!
  • Options
    fattmatt said:

Oh yes. I meant 'Freeholder' not 'leaseholder' I'll edit my post!

A licence to alter is what you need. To be honest I doubt you'll get one for a balcony.
  • Options
    edited June 2017

I've never really understood their purpose?!?

So people that live in flats can have Barbeques!
  • Options

Have a think about that one.
  • Options

See how Fattmatt leans his cheek upon his hand. O, that I were a glove upon that hand That I might touch that cheek!
  • Options

Have a think about that one.
    Don't-know-how-to-react... :expressionless:
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

A Juliet balcony sounds so romantic..

With fatmatt being Romeo.
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    Check the details of your lease first @fattmatt . It will tell you the sort of things where you need permission. Then call them or their agent to check what the process is, and what their fee is. You may be able to combine multiple permission requests in one application (for licence) and pay just the one fee (£305 in my case, daylight robbery). Building regs is a different process run by the council. Bexley were very quick and easy to deal with for me; wall down, not supporting, not interested! For a balcony they will be interested and you'll also need a structural engineer I imagine. Are you sure you really want this balcony?
  • Options
    fattmatt said:

milo said:

See how Fattmatt leans his cheek upon his hand. O, that I were a glove upon that hand That I might touch that cheek!

Ok. Just to stop people thinking that I'm going all girly, anyone know what permission is needed to fit a hot-tub big enough for 3 hookers?
    Well my wife said no but yours might be ok about it. Just ask.
  • Options

fattmatt said:

milo said:

Ok. Just to stop people thinking that I'm going all girly, anyone know what permission is needed to fit a hot-tub big enough for 3 hookers?
    Well my wife said no but yours might be ok about it. Just ask.
    fattmatt remains gloriously unmarried!

• Options
    I prefer a balcony bra
  • Options
    fattmatt said:

milo said:

You will need a bigger balcony for a start.
  • Options

You don't know what a Juliet Balcony looks like do you? :smiley: .
    Here's a clue the word "balcony" is something of an exaggeration. Pigeon Ledge would be a better name but would still be a tad optimistic.
  • Options
    fattmatt said:

milo said:

only three? Can easily manage five in mine. Wife wasn't happy though, no room for her !!
  • Options
    cafcfan said:

You don't know what a Juliet Balcony looks like do you? :smiley: .
    Here's a clue the word "balcony" is something of an exaggeration. Pigeon Ledge would be a better name but would still be a tad optimistic.
    I do cafcfan, I was being sarcastic (and trying/failing to be funny)

Actually, making a joke about that at this time was in very poor taste. I'm sorry, I just didn't think.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

They're just windows with delusions of grandeur.
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    fattmatt said:

milo said:

Same as for 3 full backs. I think it's great that you feel comfortable asking.
  • Options
    Juliet balcony? That's posh for "window that's harder than normal to fall out of", isn't it?