Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Cover to Cover: Bruce Springsteen v Manfred Mann's Earth Band - Blinded by the Light

2»

Comments

• Thought this was going to be a joke thread. It's Springsteen for me all the way.
  • Not a fan of either but if I had to pick it would be Manfred Mann. Main reason is that Bruce's version sounds too "busy" and you can't really make put what is going on or the lyrics too well. Saying that, the lyrics mean more in the original version in my opinion.

• Springsteen. Best driving through London with the windows down song ever.
  • Manfred Mann's Earth Band. Saw them perform it live at The Roundhouse many years ago, a place where you could get high just by breathing!
  • edited June 2017
    Manfred Mann. I'm a big Springsteen fan, but MM own that song. The original sounds like a hot mess compared to MM.

Bruce Springsteen or the Pointer Sisters, that is the question.
  • MM, as they are not responsible for the *ahem*... "lyrics".

• Definitely Manfred Mann. Much better arrangement and vocals than the original.
  • Definitely the Boss.Its his song, nobody elses.
  • The Boss by a nose. Since Patti Smith has been mentioned, Henry, how about you do "Gloria" by Van Morrison, versus Patti's version? My vote in advance goes to Patti, she absolutely smashes it: "Jesus died for somebody's sins.....(guitar feedback).....but not mine....Gloria! G-L-O-R-I-A!!
  • The Boss by a nose. Since Patti Smith has been mentioned, Henry, how about you do "Gloria" by Van Morrison, versus Patti's version? My vote in advance goes to Patti, she absolutely smashes it: "Jesus died for somebody's sins.....(guitar feedback).....but not mine....Gloria! G-L-O-R-I-A!!

Would get my vote too
  • Sponsored links:

• Gloria was by Them before Van The Man went solo
  • edited June 2017

The Boss by a nose. Since Patti Smith has been mentioned, Henry, how about you do "Gloria" by Van Morrison, versus Patti's version? My vote in advance goes to Patti, she absolutely smashes it: "Jesus died for somebody's sins.....(guitar feedback).....but not mine....Gloria! G-L-O-R-I-A!!

Saw that on the Old Grey Whistle Test when I was about 17. My dad (Scots presbyterian pipe smoking RAF warrant officer who served through WW2) was in the room and turned into Popeye. "Rubbish!" puff puff "disgraceful!" puff puff. "Tch. Call this music! Poppycock!" puff puff puff. Needless to say that converted me from Led Zep to punk on the spot.
  • edited August 2019
    Just got back from seeing the "Blinded by the light" movie.

Very good coming of age movie.
  • This song was killed for me after it was covered on an album of one of my Mums crooners (refuse to utter the name or I'll have it as an ear worm for eternity)

Awful.