Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Cover to Cover: Bruce Springsteen v Manfred Mann's Earth Band - Blinded by the Light

Two version's of the same song. Listen to both without prejudice and say which you prefer and why.

No other versions please.

Do you prefer the Springsteen original, recorded in 1973 or Manfred Mann cover which was a hit in 1977

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjxbOe7p8C0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rpq35wyDi7I

Comments

• Prefer the Manfred Manns Earthband version, was the first version i heard, and I just prefer the sound of their version.
  • I'd never head the Springsteen original before, and didn't even recognise the song until I heard the Manfred Mann cover!

My vote goes to the Earth band as well, it brings out the hook so much better, whereas the Springsteen version hides the melody
  • Well what do ya know...I always thought that the Manfreds was the original???

Both good versions.

Anyway Its Springsteen all day long, superior band, better mix and recording IMO, love the bass line and Clarences (I assume) sax rattling away in the background.
  • Big Bruce fan - but I prefer the Manfred's version.
  • Another nod for Manfred's version...
  • Manfred Mann wins. One of my favourite songs of all time although I still don't know what an Anus Curly Whurly is !
  • Distinct Doobie Brothers rift (Listen to the Music) at the start of Bruce's version.

Much prefer Manfred Manns version.
  • "And I saw something else: I saw rock and roll future and its name is Bruce Springsteen. And on a night when I needed to feel young, he made me feel like I was hearing music for the very first time." - Jon Landau 1974

Others may decide if Jon Landau's prophecy has been fulfilled. This was the first track on Bruce's first studio album and, imho, a glimpse into the the mind of an exceptional songwriter.

Manfred Mann seemed to almost set Bruce's lyrics (well, almost bruce's lyrics) to a new song. Good version but for me I'll stick with Bruce Springsteen.
  • Have to go with Mannfred's version especially as i lived in the next road to him, Southbrook Rd in Lee!
  • Mannfred for me.
  • Sponsored links:

• The Boss

what a way to open on one of his finest albums.
  • i ll go with Brucie baby
  • edited June 2017
    Quite like Manfred Mann's, dislike Springsteen's.

One of the most nonsensical song I've ever heard.
  • Got to be the Springsteen version. With its backroom bar band storyteller feel to it.

The earth band version is great though and brings a whole new feel to the lyrics.
  • edited June 2017
    Hmmmn.
    What a choice, although not in a particularly good way.
    Now I like Manfred Mann in their earlier pop combination, songs like Dooh Whah Diddy, Mighty Quinn, Come Tomorrow, Semi Detatched and all that era. However Earth Band is a restructuring and it is a heavy chase for the zeitgeist of that moment. Talented musically, but I think Earth Band is/was about chasing success rather than wrenched from the soul art. The song simply tries too hard, written with heavy dependence on the old rhyming dictionary, and it seems rather contrived and forced, especially when seen from today.
    Then we have Bruce. By all accounts a great live act, with memorable and iconic songs, but somehow for me Bruce and his set up, while good, have never hit the sweet spot. I have tried believe me, but Springsteen just doesn't kiss me goodnight, maybe it is an American thing, and I am too over here to get it.
    The Springsteen version, with his trade mark slurred and drawling voice sounds like a jam with his fellow excellent musicians. A nice song for them which was attractive for a while, and one they can knock out to a very good standard without much effort because their musical base standard is so good.
    I have a bit of a problem with all three elements, the two bands and the song itself, so for me it is a 0-0 draw and I doubt I shall return.

Edit.
    Was it written by Bruce? Didn't realise if it was, and if it is, then he edges it by half a goal.
  • Early lead for the Manfreds but the Boss catching up now.

Surprised that so many didn't realise it was a Springsteen song.
  • Springsteen for me.
  • Bruce, he was Born In The U.S.A
  • Even though Springsteen is a God - MM for me.

so many springsteen songs have been covered over the years

As many songs as Bod Dylan?
  • Sponsored links:

• edited June 2017

Early lead for the Manfreds but the Boss catching up now.

Bruce has far more of his songs covered than has Bod Dylan.
  • Manfred Mann wins. One of my favourite songs of all time although I still don't know what an Anus Curly Whurly is !

A turd with lots of holes in it?

I was thinking of doing Bruce v Patti Smith Because the Night but so few see the true beauty and genius of Patti.

• Love Springsteen but don't much like most of his very early stuff. Manfred's for me.
  • I'm going for the Manfred Mann version.
  • Man Fred Man....man.
  • Manfred Mann for me, love their version. It's probably one of the earliest songs I connect to a life event. As a kid I lived in Canada and I was singing it as I got out of my mums car. Slammed the door but forgot to move my hand, trapping my fingers. Blinded by my tears more like.

I was thinking of doing Bruce v Patti Smith Because the Night but so few see the true beauty and genius of Patti.

Horses is one of the best albums of all time.

Manfred Mann. I just looked up the lyrics because I could never make them out, what a load of bollocks.
  • bobmunro said:

Early lead for the Manfreds but the Boss catching up now.

Bruce has far more of his songs covered than has Bod Dylan.