Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Most overrated films.

Comments

• Options
    edited June 2017
    Apocalypse Now was/is very very hard going.
    Almost sacrilege to criticise anything with Marlon Brando in the lead role but I really struggled to follow the storyline and find the message that it was trying to convey.
    A very messy production IMHO, which I'm sure most of the audience at the time felt they had to heap praise upon to be cool because Brando and Vietnam were both hot potato subjects at the time.
    If they were honest, they would mostly say they came away in complete bewilderment.
    You needed to take a tab of acid to understand it......anyone who has done so will understand the irony in that comment.
  • Options

Star Wars. Second rate cowboy movie "in space".

To be fair, they're kids films.
    Any kid of mine will get a thick ear if I catch them watching Star Wars.
  • Options
    Shawshank Redemption
    Zulu
    Blade Runner
    The Searchers

• Options
    Donnie Darko
    Clock work orange
  • Options
    scruffle said:

Inception, complete dribble

You serious?

My favourite film ever.
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    Another vote for Anchorman. I know a lot of people that loved it, I just didn't find it remotely funny
  • Options
    Drive....drivel
  • Options
    Battleship Potempkin. Don't get what all the fuss was about.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    PopIcon said:

I love Kubrick and scfi, but I find Space Odyssey painful.

ok, this is the first one that's made me scrunch up my fist and yell 'no!' at the screen (not literally, obviously, that'd be ridiculous)
  • Options
    Pulp Fiction. Dross.
  • Options
    Funny @PragueAddick I loved Cloud Atlas. I'm always drawn to that kind of film.
  • Options
    PopIcon said:

Anyone who watches space oddessy and doesn't "get it" seems to me to have an essential part of their soul missing.
  • Options
    edited June 2017

PopIcon said:

Anyone who watches space oddessy and doesn't "get it" seems to me to have an essential part of their soul missing.
    Okay it's official I have no soul
  • Options
    Shutter Island is incredibly overrated.
  • Options
    Valley11 said:

Drive....drivel

That's a bad stutter you've got there
  • Options
    I saw Shawshank on VHS when it first came out, knew absolutely nothing about it, and loved every second of it. It's popularity and subsequent backlash can't change what I thought of it the first time I saw it, and I think many people felt that way at that time.

@Bedsaddick - how come wth Shutter Island? I loved the final line, it made the movie for me.
  • Options

PopIcon said:

Okay it's official I have no soul
    Me neither.

HAL does my nut in, call me a philistine.
    I'd rather watch Barry Lyndon twice back to back, followed by the Starwars prequals (@extended versions)
  • Options

Not a problem, just don't rate them as top ten films of all time as they are often voted. And I love game of thrones.

Widely considered a masterpiece by old hippies and fantasy genre freaks : - ) It is nonsense. Even the lion, the witch and wardrobe and harry potter make more sense.

And they are very derivative of Norse myths and legends as Tolkien was a professor of medieval studies or something.

What doesn't make sense about a group of short, hairy footed people who live in beautiful countryside and eat and drink all day everyday? :)
    Aah, I see you've had the honour of meeting Mrs cafcfan then?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

The Shawshank Redemption, American History X.

WUM ..... surely?
  • Options
    edited June 2017

The Shawshank Redemption, American History X.

WUM ..... surely?
    More or less every post so far is WUM material.

Overrated doesn't mean 'popular or classic films that I personally don't like'.
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:

I saw Shawshank on VHS when it first came out, knew absolutely nothing about it, and loved every second of it. It's popularity and subsequent backlash can't change what I thought of it the first time I saw it, and I think many people felt that way at that time.

@Bedsaddick - how come wth Shutter Island? I loved the final line, it made the movie for me.

I suppose the main gripe I have with it is that it doesn't feel like a Martin Scorsese film. I love Scorsese but this felt like someone else has directed it.
  • Options
    Shutter island.. isn't that basically a modern remake of the cabinet of dr caligari?
  • Options

Pulp Fiction. Tarantino at his pointless, self-indulgent worst. None of it matters or means anything, it's like a sketch show

...so you went into a film called "pulp fiction" and expected anything different?

It's like coming out of "snakes on a plane" and complaining it had too many scenes on a plane where there were snakes.
    I got exactly what I expected; some nonsense mess. This thread is about overrated films, and Pulp Fiction is king of that; it's number 1 on Reddit's top 250 films, number 7 on imdb's top 250 etc and people describe it as one of the best films of all time. It's not even good pulp fiction.
    Well said...I saw it at the cinema and by half way through half the audience had walked out...Me and the Mrs stayed as we were paying a babysitter, otherwise we would have done. When I asked the usherettes about it when we left she said that the same had been happening since it opened its screening.
    Agree with you, Chips. Its the only film I can remember that I walked out of. I couldn't understand half the dialogue anyway, and realised I didn't want to.

Crikey be careful its the first time we have agreed on anything
    Second time actually Chips, you were kind enough to rate my rant about the FAPL and the money, the other week.

I'll chuck in a gratuitous "Roland Out" so you can like this too :-)

• Options
    I think Anchorman is winning this thread. Recommended to me as it was "my humour" but only laughed once. Amusing yes, comedy classic, no.
  • Options
    Another vote for the Tolkein stuff - films and books. I can take magic and fantasy stuff, I'm a big Michael Moorcock fan for example, but LoTR is so juvenile. You've got your goodies in handsome, noble or cute varieties. And you've got your baddies - you can tell they are bad because they are very ugly and have no characteristic other than being really, really bad. Where is the nuance? Where is the dramatic tension? Where, come to that, is the plot? Why are highly intelligent people apparently satisfied with this? Grrr.
  • Options
    24 Red said:

Another vote for the Tolkein stuff - films and books. I can take magic and fantasy stuff, I'm a big Michael Moorcock fan for example, but LoTR is so juvenile. You've got your goodies in handsome, noble or cute varieties. And you've got your baddies - you can tell they are bad because they are very ugly and have no characteristic other than being really, really bad. Where is the nuance? Where is the dramatic tension? Where, come to that, is the plot? Why are highly intelligent people apparently satisfied with this? Grrr.

Spot on.

And it not just that some people like them and others don't that makes them over rated but that they are voted in the top ten films of ALL TIME.