Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Most overrated films.

Comments

• Options

McBobbin said:

Anchorman. I'm considered the devil at my work for doubting the genius of this "classic". I think I only smiled once.

Anchorman for me too.

Not saying it's a bad film, I like it. But it's massively overrated imo.
    Agree and a perfect example of a film for this thread.
  • Options
    Not a problem, just don't rate them as top ten films of all time as they are often voted. And I love game of thrones.

Widely considered a masterpiece by old hippies and fantasy genre freaks : - ) It is nonsense. Even the lion, the witch and wardrobe and harry potter make more sense.

And they are very derivative of Norse myths and legends as Tolkien was a professor of medieval studies or something.
  • Options

Not a problem, just don't rate them as top ten films of all time as they are often voted. And I love game of thrones.

Widely considered a masterpiece by old hippies and fantasy genre freaks : - ) It is nonsense. Even the lion, the witch and wardrobe and harry potter make more sense.

And they are very derivative of Norse myths and legends as Tolkien was a professor of medieval studies or something.

What doesn't make sense about a group of short, hairy footed people who live in beautiful countryside and eat and drink all day everyday? :)
  • Options
    Fiiish said:

Most of the films here seem to be 'don't like this genre but this film was critically acclaimed so going to hate on it'. If you don't like fantasy films that doesn't make those films bad. Someone might as well say they don't like films about heroin or Scots so Trainspotting is overrated.

Wes Anderson - cult films really. Never got into them but Rushmore is decent.

Damn. I was just going to say Trainspotting is overrated.
  • Options
    A R T I F I C I A L I N T E L L I G E N C E (still)
  • Options
    Charlton 2016/17 season highlights.
  • Options
    Slum dog millionaire
  • Options
    Peter's Friends.
    Gone with the Wind
  • Options
    And Pulp Fiction was a classic.
  • Options
    Inception, complete dribble
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Eternal sunshine of the spotless mind.
    Utter tosh that is loved by many people.

My absolute favourite film :smile:
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    Love Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. Thought it was beautifully produced and had quite a profound but simple message that I found quite challenging.

A film I didn't get the hype over was Avatar.
  • Options
    scruffle said:

Inception, complete dribble

I always come out of nolan's films thinking the film thought it was a lot cleverer than it actually was.
  • Options

have to agree that Wes Anderson is overrated.

I remember watching The Royal Tenenbaums in some girls flat. she said it was her favourite film. I agreed with her at the time even though I had never seen it before but I was on course for a promise.

The Royal Tenenbaums is probably one of the worst films ive ever seen, overrated or otherwise.
    Amen that. The humour of this "hilarious" film must have been way too subtle for me
  • Options
    Another vote for Shawshank Redemption. A decent enough film, yes, but lauded way above its merits.
  • Options
    The first Batman film with Michael Keaton - Hated it.
  • Options

Pulp Fiction. Tarantino at his pointless, self-indulgent worst. None of it matters or means anything, it's like a sketch show

...so you went into a film called "pulp fiction" and expected anything different?

It's like coming out of "snakes on a plane" and complaining it had too many scenes on a plane where there were snakes.
    I got exactly what I expected; some nonsense mess. This thread is about overrated films, and Pulp Fiction is king of that; it's number 1 on Reddit's top 250 films, number 7 on imdb's top 250 etc and people describe it as one of the best films of all time. It's not even good pulp fiction.
  • Options

The Shawshank Redemption, American History X.

Wash your mouth out !

;-)
    I like Shawshank but it is hugely overrated.
  • Options
    Trainspotting.
  • Options
    Whichever Daniel Craig Bond film it was in 2006. I thought it was all over and then off went another explosion and we had another half hour to sit through. Was on a freebie for that one, you'd have to pay me to watch a Bond film now.

Anyway...Cloud Atlas
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The fisher king
  • Options
    I love Kubrick and scfi, but I find Space Odyssey painful.
  • Options

Pulp Fiction. Tarantino at his pointless, self-indulgent worst. None of it matters or means anything, it's like a sketch show

...so you went into a film called "pulp fiction" and expected anything different?

It's like coming out of "snakes on a plane" and complaining it had too many scenes on a plane where there were snakes.
    I got exactly what I expected; some nonsense mess. This thread is about overrated films, and Pulp Fiction is king of that; it's number 1 on Reddit's top 250 films, number 7 on imdb's top 250 etc and people describe it as one of the best films of all time. It's not even good pulp fiction.
    Well said...I saw it at the cinema and by half way through half the audience had walked out...Me and the Mrs stayed as we were paying a babysitter, otherwise we would have done. When I asked the usherettes about it when we left she said that the same had been happening since it opened its screening.
  • Options

Well said...I saw it at the cinema and by half way through half the audience had walked out...Me and the Mrs stayed as we were paying a babysitter, otherwise we would have done. When I asked the usherettes about it when we left she said that the same had been happening since it opened its screening.
    Agree with you, Chips. Its the only film I can remember that I walked out of. I couldn't understand half the dialogue anyway, and realised I didn't want to.

• Options

Agree with you, Chips. Its the only film I can remember that I walked out of. I couldn't understand half the dialogue anyway, and realised I didn't want to.

Crikey be careful its the first time we have agreed on anything
  • Options
    Blimey I'm agreeing with @Fiiish - whatever next.
    Pulp Fiction is an amazing film
  • Options

Blimey I'm agreeing with @Fiiish - whatever next.
    Pulp Fiction is an amazing film

Totally agree, although I thought Django was completely over the top and very overrated. My most overrated movie though The English patient, dragged along by good friends, I spent the last hour thinking please hurry up and die. I felt the same about Titantic, I think I just need to stay away from Romantic dramas
  • Options
    I can't really contribute to this thread in its intended way because whenever I watch a film I almost always pick something I know I'll enjoy, since I could otherwise be down the pub or doing something else other than taking a punt on some flick that I might hate. Probably means there are some great films I'll never see but there we go.

Not sure if they count as 'overrated' but for the amount of hype they get the Transformers films are total pish.
  • Options

The Revenant - utter garbage.

I loved that film...