Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Latimer Road fire

Comments

• Police confirming that 6 people have died in the fire but this number is expected to rise

Once they get into the building that number will shoot up.

So sad.
    I too fear that will be the case VG.
  • Not a good time to be a mayor of this great city, but Sadiq Khan is so far out of his depth imo.

What on earth could he have done about any of the recent tragedies to befall our city ?

nothing - its the way he speaks and handles the media after these events which is his downfall, in this day and age everyone has access to interviews etc.
  • edited June 2017
    PaddyP17 said:

Not a good time to be a mayor of this great city, but Sadiq Khan is so far out of his depth imo.

Oh I forgot he's basically God and can prevent fires and terror attacks at will, yeah wtf man why isn't he doing more

/s
    We may have our views about this person or that person, but there is no need to lower ourselves and turn this tragic event into an opportunity to criticise those people. We do need answers, but we have to identify all the issues and who should be giving us those answers.
  • work not too far away kensington high street, and this morning has been constant emergency vehicles going up and down the street.
  • PaddyP17 said:

Not a good time to be a mayor of this great city, but Sadiq Khan is so far out of his depth imo.

Oh I forgot he's basically God and can prevent fires and terror attacks at will, yeah wtf man why isn't he doing more

/s
    We may have our views about this person or that person, but there is no need to lower ourselves and turn this tragic event into an opportunity to criticise those people. We do need answers, but we have to identify all the issues and who should be giving us those answers.
    I'd like to clarify I absolutely was not attacking Sadiq Khan, but rather, the comment that said he was "out of his depth". The "/s" is meant to mean sarcasm.

Either way, the first focus is establishing what happened in this terrible tragedy and then acting accordingly. I cannot fathom how everyone affected must be feeling - thoughts with all.
  • edited June 2017
    Sorry yes, I quoted you but know you were responding to the previous poster's inapropriate comment.
  • Sponsored links:

• Is there still a chance that it may come down or has it been secured ?
  • se9addick said:

Is there still a chance that it may come down or has it been secured ?

Fire chief says they've got a structural engineer monitoring it.
  • micks1950 said:

se9addick said:

Is there still a chance that it may come down or has it been secured ?

Fire chief says they've got a structural engineer monitoring it.
    Is he an expert ?

• LenGlover said:

One thought on BBC news someone saying it was possibly a fridge fire on the 4th floor was the cause of the fire and the thought that it was the cladding on te building that caused the fire to spead so quickly.

High Rise buildings are meant to have sprinkler systems fitted to extinguish fires at source.

http://www.highrisefire.co.uk/docs/fpb.pdf

http://www.bafsa.org.uk/sprinkler-information/legislation.php

http://www.insidehousing.co.uk/which-councils-are-retrofitting-high-rises-with-sprinklers/7010543.article

My late father spent his working life fighting bureaucrats who tried to resist legislation insisting on sprinkler systems etc.
    Certainly wouldn't have done any harm but the spread of this looks to have been predominantly outside the building.

You are correct though. Even if one life was saved it would be justified.

Not seen the pictures so I'm sure you are right re the spread.

Nevertheless sprinkers might have extinguished the original fire before it got as far as the external cladding? As I understand it it is also possible to fit external sprinklers which might have stopped or slowed the spread.
  • Len the images are horrific and shocking.
  • LenGlover said:

LenGlover said:

One thought on BBC news someone saying it was possibly a fridge fire on the 4th floor was the cause of the fire and the thought that it was the cladding on te building that caused the fire to spead so quickly.

High Rise buildings are meant to have sprinkler systems fitted to extinguish fires at source.

http://www.highrisefire.co.uk/docs/fpb.pdf

http://www.bafsa.org.uk/sprinkler-information/legislation.php

http://www.insidehousing.co.uk/which-councils-are-retrofitting-high-rises-with-sprinklers/7010543.article

My late father spent his working life fighting bureaucrats who tried to resist legislation insisting on sprinkler systems etc.
    Certainly wouldn't have done any harm but the spread of this looks to have been predominantly outside the building.

You are correct though. Even if one life was saved it would be justified.

Not seen the pictures so I'm sure you are right re the spread.

Nevertheless sprinkers might have extinguished the original fire before it got as far as the external cladding? As I understand it it is also possible to fit external sprinklers which might have stopped or slowed the spread.
    Sprinklers can also be problematic due to vandalism etc. The way around that is what they now fit sprinklers that only go off in the effected compartment.
  • My brother, his girlfriend and her family live in a flat very nearby. They are all safe but they have had a very difficult night.
  • Think it's fair to say that someone needs to face criminal charges over this if what this guy says is true.

• Sponsored links:

• don't know what work was done but i know recent regs any flats that we do have to have a minimum 1 hour fire time, thats to say before it spreads use of fire doors and fire collars prevent it spreading, but if the external material is flammable than would of gone up extremely quickly which is exactly whats happened, someone is responsible for this unfortunately that is of little help to the casualties families who will have to move on with there lives after probably going to bed last night as any normal night.
  • Someone apparently caught a baby that had been thrown from the 9th or 10th floor!

Wow.
    This is so tragic.

Horrific to think of being in a situation where that is the best option.

I can't imagine the horror of being trapped on those top floors.
  • I am gobsmacked that fire crews are still working in that building. The conditions must be unbelievable.

Brave brave people.

As you know from your time in the brigade SHG we will still commit crews all the while theres still even a small chance of finding people alive. Im back on duty tomorrow morning so will no doubt find out more and would imagine we will be there for a good few days.
  • edited June 2017
    I'm grateful that I've never had to live in a tower block, wouldn't fancy it at all.

I got offered a job in a Canary Wharf tower block many years ago. I turned it down, because I didn't fancy working on the 15th floor.
    10 floors would be my limit I think.

I've got a feeling the death toll could run into 3 figures here, although I've not listened to the news, only read this.

RIP.
  • BBC Breaking News‏Verified account @BBCBreaking 11m11 minutes ago
    More
    #GrenfellTower: 64 people taken to 6 hospitals, with 20 in critical care, London Ambulance Service says
  • I do not want to add to the speculation, as someone who lived in a much more modest high rise in Charlton when I was younger, that has been 'refurbed' since I would be wanting some considerable reassurance. If the building does meet current building regs they need to be reviewed.
    I looked out on this estate from the 'media centre', truly saddened by this event from my office desk, for 5 years. To happen in one of the richest boroughs, in this day and age is almost beyond logic.
  • I do not want to add to the speculation, as someone who lived in a much more modest high rise in Charlton when I was younger, that has been 'refurbed' since I would be wanting some considerable reassurance. If the building does meet current building regs they need to be reviewed.
    I looked out on this estate from the 'media centre', truly saddened by this event from my office desk, for 5 years. To happen in one of the richest boroughs, in this day and age is almost beyond logic.

The cladding seems to have been connected to a number of fires - it does call into question whether building regs are fit for purpose if the refurbishment was signed off.
    I would have expected the cladding to be fire resistant.
  • Can you just begin to imagine how many council blocks up and down the country have been similarly clad over the last few years.

This not only will have tragically lost lives but is going to have repercussions that cost hundreds of millions of pounds.