Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Latimer Road fire

Comments

• Options
    Just had a guy on lbc telling that he had a list of fire risks before they opened the block.
  • Options
    Devastating. Hopefully still more can be saved.
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    grenfellactiongroup.wordpress.com/2016/11/20/kctmo-playing-with-fire/amp/

Residents worried 7 months ago
  • Options
    Just said there is fatalities.
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    That Grenfell report sounds terrifyingly prophetic.
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    Engineer on LBC saying in his view the building could actually collapse...

Press conference with fire brigade confirming "multiple faralities"
  • Options
    RIP
  • Options
    Horrific news to wake up to, RIP to those who lost their lives and a speedy recovery to those who escaped.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    se9addick said:

Im a central london firefighter and have attended many high rise fires and they are our worst nightmare with fire spread etc. There was something majorly wrong with that building for the fire to spread that quickly. There really wouldnt be much that could be done for anyone trapped higher up,our biggest ladders reach 9 floors. Logistically it takes time to get the resources on scene and equipment up the building and the manpower required. We work in crews of 2 when entering fires so you can imagine with a fire of that size the amount of firefighters and equipment needed. My thoughts are with those affected and with my collegues involved. RIP to those poor souls.

We're lucky to have people like you who are brave enough to run into a fire to save others, I don't know if I would be able to do it. Thank you.
    I second that - thank you.
  • Options
    Frightening. This is one of the things we are struggling with - developers and installers don't seem to take this seriously enough. There is a "that will do" approach to fire stopping without the realisation that fire will get into the tiniest of cracks and spread...and spread and the result is on today's news.

The curtain walling on the outside hasn't helped either. It's cheaper to install - thus a favourite when refurbishing an old building - but also prone to spreading the fire up the outside of the building where it then gets in through open windows and defeats the object of all the fire stopping on the inside.

RIP to those affected but this has to make building control take this more seriously now. It is not hard to fire-stop properties but if you are not doing it right then don't do it at all and face the consequences.
  • Options
    RIP to all those who have lost their lives.

I was a fireman years ago and concur that there must be something very wrong with this building. Looking at the night time images I think there must be question marks over the cladding. Looks to me like the outside of the building has been the method of spread.

Dreadful
  • Options
    Sprinkler system?
  • Options
    Terribly sad. RIP to all of those who have lost their lives. I'm in Paddington and can see the cloud of black smoke from my office.

Those reports are chilling. I'm lost for words really
  • Options
    Terrible news to wake up to.

Apart from the obvious first thought for the safety of the residents, I haven't seen any mention of any rescue by helicopter, which would seem the best chance of saving lives.
  • Options

Apart from the obvious first thought for the safety of the residents, I haven't seen any mention of any rescue by helicopter, which would seem the best chance of saving lives.

Yes, if they can rescue people from the sea, maybe they can do the same with disaters such as this. I suppose there are factors like the smoke and even how many helicopters are available and how many of them are equiped with the equipment to help. This is not an easy event to plan for I would imagine, that is why we are all so shocked it has happened.
  • Options
    edited June 2017

Heard a report of a couple of police helicopters overhead but they can't get close because of the heat.

Just terrible. Shudder to think what the toll will be. RIP.
  • Options

The fire reached the roof of the building very quickly.
    There simply wouldn't of been anywhere for the helicopter to get close enough to perform a rescue
  • Options

Helicopter would get nowhere near that blaze. The heat and updraft would be unbelievable. Not an option sadly.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Truly awful

Re helicopters, I would imagine that the downdraft of air they would push into the fire could make it even worse? Don't know.

RIP and thoughts with all those affected.

Our emergency services yet again showing themselves to be incredibly brave in their service of our society.
  • Options
    Awful, just bloody awful. Thoughts with all those poor souls who were in there.
  • Options
    High rise is one of the most dangerous and challenging fires. Most be absolutely horrendous. RIP
  • Options
    There are a number of similar blocks in that area - lessons need to be learned from this tragedy. Fire safety is not taken seriously enough.
  • Options
    Remembering living on the 16th floor (was in effect the 15th as there was no 13th) of Sussex Heights in Brighton. Some younger lads decided to have a BBQ in the kitchen of a flat 3/4 floors below us, they had the kitchen window open and smoke was billowing out which we could smell and see (it was a hot sunny day). At first we didn't know it was 'just' a BBQ....needless to say we went down and bashed on the flat door....a young lad answered and I said is everything OK in there....he just smiled and said all under control we are just have a BBQ....seems like an irrelevant incident but after this morning......
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    This is looking like a tragedy of huge proportions......got moist eyes here.....oh boy oh boy.
    I fear the death toll will be significant.
    How on earth could this happen in The UK in 2017?
  • Options
    One thought on BBC news someone saying it was possibly a fridge fire on the 4th floor was the cause of the fire and the thought that it was the cladding on te building that caused the fire to spead so quickly.
  • Options
    We have to demand an answer to that question as this can't happen again. Of course there will be incidents and fires, but the speed in which the fire spread and the delay in the alarm being raised to all inhabitants of the tower is clearly not right. As it is clear the residents raised concerns, what was done about those concerns need urgent investigation too - nobody will be able to identofy risks better than those living in the building day in day out. It is dangerous to go further than that, apart from demand a swift (because others could be at risk) enquiry and clear reccomendations on what needs to happen to ensure this tragedy is never repeated. Of course, it should never have happened in the first place.