Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

How do the Tories need to change?

Comments

• Additional funding plans for the NHS being announced, sensibly it is said additional taxes will be needed to pay for some of this.

I wouldn't be surprised to see this on NI rather than income tax but we'll see at the budget but thats not for a fair few months yet. Still think the easy/sensible option is a penny on all bands and continuing to raise the personal allowance.
  • edited June 2018
    Rob7Lee said:

Additional funding plans for the NHS being announced, sensibly it is said additional taxes will be needed to pay for some of this.

I wouldn't be surprised to see this on NI rather than income tax but we'll see at the budget but thats not for a fair few months yet. Still think the easy/sensible option is a penny on all bands and continuing to raise the personal allowance.

The Torygraph is suggesting a freeze on personal allowances. Presumably this incremental drift (is that what it is called?) would gradually over the period of the five-year plan push more and more people into the higher tax bands and consequently harvest quite a lot of extra money without people even noticing. (Gordon Brown would be proud.)
  • cafcfan said:

Rob7Lee said:

Additional funding plans for the NHS being announced, sensibly it is said additional taxes will be needed to pay for some of this.

The Torygraph is suggesting a freeze on personal allowances. Presumably this incremental drift (is that what it is called?) would gradually over the period of the five-year plan push more and more people into the higher tax bands and consequently harvest quite a lot of extra money without people even noticing. (Gordon Brown would be proud.)
    I wouldn't agree with freezing it. Although they've done a lot the past 8 years to increase it above inflation it'd be stupid now to freeze it.
  • Rob7Lee said:

cafcfan said:

Rob7Lee said:

I wouldn't agree with freezing it. Although they've done a lot the past 8 years to increase it above inflation it'd be stupid now to freeze it.
    An extra £500 on the Dartford Crossing toll it is then. :smiley:
  • Vile scum can injure and kill police and service dogs without facing significant punishment. Guess who just blocked a bill to address this!
  • Vile scum can injure and kill police and service dogs without facing significant punishment. Guess who just blocked a bill to address this!

I think you'll find we haven't debated the issue! *chortles*

It's a shame he didn't do the same for the dangerous dogs act.

• edited June 2018
    Are you saying it is good that a police dog can be assaulted and the perpetrator gets off virtually scot free? The Bill was named Finn's Law. Finn is a Police dog who was brutally stabbed and injured protecting his handler. The bill was tabled by a Conservative MP and had widespread support in the commons - these brave dogs that protect us deserve us trying to protect them.

Finn was stabbed multiple times and didn't let go to protect his handler. He was not expected to survive but pulled through despite having to retire from his injuries which I think included multiple punctured lungs. The cnut who assaulted him could only be charged with criminal damage!
  • Sponsored links:

• Bloke certainly is strange, he seems to have this thing about objecting when bills (in his view) haven't been properly debated or worded correctly (which at times he may have a point on the latter as it's his field I guess), hard to believe anyone can disagree with the principle of the upskirting or this one on service animals though.

As for the Dangerous Dogs Act..... that worked...... not.
  • Rob7Lee said:

Bloke certainly is strange, he seems to have this thing about objecting when bills (in his view) haven't been properly debated or worded correctly (which at times he may have a point on the latter as it's his field I guess), hard to believe anyone can disagree with the principle of the upskirting or this one on service animals though.

He tabled 31 private member bills last year alone, so is only his own that are correctly worded? He admitted that he didn't even know what upskirting was when he objected, so he can't have read the bill.

The system is broken if him and Phillip Davies can constantly stop parliament functioning the way it is intended to.
    I’m not defending him, I’d politely call him a ‘wally’! I wonder how many of the 31 were objected to!?! It is a bit odd though that a single MP can simply shout out ‘object’ to derail things.
  • edited June 2018
    Rob7Lee said:

Rob7Lee said:

Bloke certainly is strange, he seems to have this thing about objecting when bills (in his view) haven't been properly debated or worded correctly (which at times he may have a point on the latter as it's his field I guess), hard to believe anyone can disagree with the principle of the upskirting or this one on service animals though.

He tabled 31 private member bills last year alone, so is only his own that are correctly worded? He admitted that he didn't even know what upskirting was when he objected, so he can't have read the bill.

The system is broken if him and Phillip Davies can constantly stop parliament functioning the way it is intended to.
    I’m not defending him, I’d politely call him a ‘wally’! I wonder how many of the 31 were objected to!?! It is a bit odd though that a single MP can simply shout out ‘object’ to derail things.
    You gave the reason in your previous post, for poorly thought out laws.

He isn't doing it for those reasons and everyone needs to understand that. He is simply abusing and disrupting a system that he doesn't agree with no matter the detriment to the public.
  • About time moderate Tories stated fighting back. Rees-Mogg gets a very easy ride in my opinion.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/jul/02/fellow-tories-accuse-jacob-rees-mogg-blackmail-pm-brexit

I particularly like this quote from Alan Duncan (Tory MP) who accused Rees-Mogg of “insolence” and said his “lecturing and threatening the PM is just too much”. He said the MP’s behaviour risked “debasing government, party, country and himself”.

About time some of them started pushing country over party and self.
  • Is there such a thing as a moderate Tory?
    I suppose there may be, but when push comes to shove so called loyalty often trumps moderation and conscience.
    #laydowninfrontofthebulldozers
  • Yes there are some Tories who are very reasonable. They despair at having people like Rees-Mogg having any sort of voice in their party.
  • There is not one Tory MP who hasn't voted for multiple human rights abuses in Parliament
  • Sponsored links:

• Leuth said:

There is not one Tory MP who hasn't voted for multiple human rights abuses in Parliament

Likewise Labour under Blair.
  • Leuth said:

There is not one Tory MP who hasn't voted for multiple human rights abuses in Parliament

Likewise Labour under Blair.
    It doesn't count when they do it though.
  • Yes there are some Tories who are very reasonable. They despair at having people like Rees-Mogg having any sort of voice in their party.

The right wing Conservative caricature is a minor, but growing voice within the Conservative party, the left wing Labour caricature is their leader.

How many Conservative MPs have resigned in protest of Rees-Mogg?
  • I though there had been an interview with Anna Soubry where she said Mogg, Cash and their ilk were not conservatives in her view. Maybe she would resign if any of them became leader.
  • edited July 2018
    Yes, she has said that she would resign from the party if he (Mogg) became leader. She is quite vocal, but there are others who feel the same way.
  • edited July 2018
    I
    Huskaris said:

Yes there are some Tories who are very reasonable. They despair at having people like Rees-Mogg having any sort of voice in their party.

The right wing Conservative caricature is a minor, but growing voice within the Conservative party, the left wing Labour caricature is their leader.

How many Conservative MPs have resigned in protest of Rees-Mogg?
    Let’s see when he leads the coup & becomes PM!

P.S. Moggy needs to remember that MPs are there to represent their constituents. Perhaps he may like to start doing that for the 58% of his voters who chose remain!
  • seth plum said:

Mogg has his £5 million property in Westminster to sort out whilst being distracted by his investment company and their new post-Brexit Dublin office. As a backbencher he must be well jealous of fellow newly elected London MP Janet Daby, who has a place in Catford and is distracted by the Downham food bank she set up and volunteers at.

:wink:
  • edited July 2018
    seth plum said:

Mogg has his £5 million property in Westminster to sort out whilst being distracted by his investment company. As a backbencher he must be well jealous of fellow newly elected London MP Janet Daby, who has a place in Catford and is distracted by the Downham food bank she set up and volunteers at.

Perhaps the shadow Justice Secretary, Labour star Lord Faulkner, could help out from his £17.5 million property?

Or Abbot in her £1 million+ pad or Shadow Defence secretary Emily Thornbury from her ££3m+ Islington town house, Shadow foreign Secretary Hilary Benn in his £3m Chiswick 'palace' etc etc etc
  • seth plum said:

Mogg has his £5 million property in Westminster to sort out whilst being distracted by his investment company. As a backbencher he must be well jealous of fellow newly elected London MP Janet Daby, who has a place in Catford and is distracted by the Downham food bank she set up and volunteers at.

Perhaps the shadow Justice Secretary, Labour star Lord Faulkner, could help out from his £17.5 million property?

Or Abbot in her £1 million+ pad or Shadow Defence secretary Emily Thornbury from her ££3m+ Islington town house, Shadow foreign Secretary Hilary Benn in his £3m Chiswick 'palace' etc etc etc
    They are probably more likely to help out in a food bank than Mogg.
    Anyway I make no apologies for mentioning Daby because she is my MP, unlike the others mentioned here.
    I may have been put off by Faulkner, but the other houses have probably increased in value over the years as mine has...eight times since 1998 shockingly.
    If I did the job I had and wanted to buy my place now...no chance. Mogg has a place in Somerset, and he is able to afford to shell out £5million for his London base, quite a multiple of a backbenchers salary. Not the sort of money you get from using time volunteering at a food bank largely created because of the Tory austerity that Mogg is shielded from.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!