Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Billy Clarke signs (ed. P6 - released, signs for Bradford)

Comments

• Options
    DRAddick said:

He's a no 10. He's a left footer and not so great with his right foot.

He's not a goalscorer and hasn't necessarily got a great shot, but he's quite skilfull and is good at passing.

But if we play to his strengths, he could do well.

He's a trier and is popular. He picks up a fair few injuries.

Luckily we're known for selling any players that have any strengths ........ Oh shit.
    Edited
  • Options
    Makes you wonder where Reeves is going to fit in.
  • Options
    buckshee said:

What I was thinking
  • Options
    Looked poor for much of our preseason, but in the role he plays chemistry is king, and now he's building those links and understanding with his fellow players, it's all falling into place
  • Options
    buckshee said:

Well Reeves has got to get himself fit first before thinking about when and where he's going to play.
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    SDAddick said:

If we go on to sign Reeves and Martin and Marshall and keep Holmes and Magennis this looks like a very shrewd bit of business. If not, then...yeah.

Almost spot on there!

• Options
    Assume Reeves will not be playing on Tuesday because of injury, which is why Clarke will start again, so could be a little while yet before Clarke needs to worry about Reeves
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I suppose its good having ready made replacements on the bench as it keeps the first eleven on their toes. If they keep playing like yesterday and injury and suspension free then we might not use most of our squad.
  • Options
    The best performance by a Charlton player for a long time, absolutely outstanding.
  • Options
    Do not think I have ever seen an attacking player work so hard for the cause whilst wearing a Charlton shirt, not the most technically gifted player in our squad but he can pick a pass and beat a man but with a work rate and passion like that he will be a massive player for us this season. Great stuff Billy.
  • Options
    Fast becoming my favourite player to watch this season. His work rate was second to none.
  • Options
    Clarke was outstanding on Saturday, a joy to watch and looked a real cut above. I lost count the amount of times he went and won the ball back near the edge of our box, creating a counter and his link up play was superb.

He won't need to worry about anyone dislodging him in the starting XI if that's how he is going to play.

Well done Billy.
  • Options
    Yep. I thought he was absolute class.

He gave everything on saturday.
  • Options
    Billy Clarke has revealed how he once knocked on Roy Keane’s front door... aged 13.

Charlton’s Irish attacker, 29, grew up in Cork and was virtually neighbours with Keane’s parents.

So, he decided to pop round to meet his fearsome hero, then at the height of his playing career with Manchester United.

Clarke told News Shopper: “Roy Keane is probably the best Irish player ever.

“So obviously being from Cork and living 10 minutes from me, he was naturally someone who I looked up to.

“I can’t remember who answered the door, maybe his brother or dad. I think I was more led by my dad. He was probably trying to use me to see Keane.

“Keane’s parents still live around the corner from me. I’ve seen him in the local a couple of times but that was it.”

Clarke would meet Keane again when he was coming through the ranks at Ipswich.

Keane was appointed as the club’s manager in April 2009 when Clarke was out on loan scoring for fun in the lower leagues of English football.

Despite netting 17 times in the 2008/09 campaign with Darlington, Northampton and Brentford, the playmaker was let go by his idol.

And it was a huge mistake by Keane - Clarke helped Blackpool into the Premier League, while Ipswich finished in 15th place in the Irishman’s first and only full season in charge.

Clarke recalled: “I think he had Jordan Rhodes coming through just underneath me.

“I had done pretty well that season, I think I scored 17 goals out on loan at a couple of League Two clubs. I was at Darlington, Northampton and then went to Brentford.

“It was a bit surprising but I went to Blackpool and got promoted to the Premier League. So it worked out in the end.”

Clarke’s Championship and League One experience will be invaluable for Charlton this season as they aim to return to England’s second tier.

The Addicks signed Clarke from Bradford for an undisclosed fee in the summer.

Playing in the number 10 role, he has scored twice and created numerous chances for his team-mates.

Charlton are sixth after 11 games and Clarke is pleased with their start to the season.

He said: “I was happy to be part of a group of signings that are all good players.

“I’m happy with how the season has gone so far.

“We’ve been through a little blip. But we went to Fleetwood and turned it around and played really well. So it’s so far, so good.”

Next up for Clarke and Charlton is the visit of Doncaster on Saturday.

From click bait hell that is the newshopper
  • Options
    Roy Keane certainly was a bit of an idiot to let both Billy Clarke and Jordan Rhodes go
  • Options

Roy Keane certainly was a bit of an idiot to let both Billy Clarke and Jordan Rhodes go

He certainly also hasn't done himself any favours with Rory McIlroy - denied him an autograph years ago.

Always thought Keane was a tw*t - now confirmed.
  • Options
    Bows on Billy

"Billy is training again now but Billy is not ready,” said the Addicks boss.

“He ain’t ready at the moment. It’s hard for him to take because he wants to play. But it wouldn’t be fair on him to start throwing him into games like this. Physically I don’t think he’s ready.

“He trained yesterday. Hopefully we’ll just keep trying to work on him and see where he gets to. But he isn’t ready at the moment.”
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Well Lee cant be blamed too much for throwing players in who arent ready
  • Options

Bows on Billy

“He ain’t ready at the moment. It’s hard for him to take because he wants to play. But it wouldn’t be fair on him to start throwing him into games like this. Physically I don’t think he’s ready.

“He trained yesterday. Hopefully we’ll just keep trying to work on him and see where he gets to. But he isn’t ready at the moment.”

The question is...."is a 70% fit Clarke better than an 80% fit Pratley who we are currently carrying at the mo?"

I don't think he could be worse....Get Billy back in the squad before we drop out the play offs.
  • Options

Bows on Billy

The question is...."is a 70% fit Clarke better than an 80% fit Pratley who we are currently carrying at the mo?"

I don't think he could be worse....Get Billy back in the squad before we drop out the play offs.
    In the short term that might be true, but if giving Clarke a bit longer means he's more likely to stay fit for the rest of the season it's worth waiting. Bowyer's got to consider that and not just the next few games.
  • Options
    Home to Accrington Stanley on January 19th could be a good target to get Billy in the squad. 3 further weeks training to get him physically fit and stronger, play a couple of U23 games too and fingers crossed, by the middle of January he will be back.
  • Options
    I'm slightly worried that some people are treating Billy Clarke as our saviour this season. He hasn't really done anything for us to warrant this 'saviour status'. Hopefully I'm proved wrong, but I'm not expecting an immediate impact from him when he eventually does return.
  • Options

I'm slightly worried that some people are treating Billy Clarke as our saviour this season. He hasn't really done anything for us to warrant this 'saviour status'. Hopefully I'm proved wrong, but I'm not expecting an immediate impact from him when he eventually does return.

He's not a saviour and he's not a defensive/ holding midfielder.

He is a very good deep lying forward/no 10 as he showed before his injury.
    With Taylor and Grant as a front pair I think Clarke could sit at the point of a midfield and would create a lot of chances for the front men and chip in himself. Needs Cullen and Bielik in there though.
  • Options

With Taylor and Grant as a front pair I think Clarke could sit at the point of a midfield and would create a lot of chances for the front men and chip in himself. Needs Cullen and Bielik in there though.
    Absolutely. He retains possession high up the pitch and plays in others.

Need to have Aribo, Cullen Lapslie behind him.
  • Options

Would you start him ahead of Fosu, or Jamie Ward if he stays?

Personally, I wouldn't. You could argue that he's our 3rd best option for the no.10 role.
  • Options
    Fosu’s not having a great season and for me he’s more suited to playing out wide. Ward has looked better though he’s been a wide player during his career as well, I’m not sure it completely suits him.

I think Clarke would prove to be the more creative of the three in terms of picking a pass. He’s also the only natural in that “number 10” role.

If everyone was available and we stick with the diamond then Cullen and Aribo need to be there. I’d have Lapslie or Reeves depending on the type of game, Lapslie for his energy or Reeves if we need more technical ability.

I can’t see a place for Bielik in the diamond other than the holding role, and Cullen is the better player there. I guess you might include both in a more physical game by having Bielik at the bass and Cullen in place of Lapslie/Reeves.