Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Central London pub crawl - suggestions needed

I'd really appreciate any help you can offer here. It was my turn to arrange a day out with mates, I sorted the morning and evening, figured we'd do a few pubs in between. I don't want to fall into the trap of wandering around without a plan so figured I'd ask for tips.

Starting in Aldgate at 2pm, need to be in Soho by 7.30pm. I can't see much in the Aldgate area, might skip to Holborn and walk from there to Soho. Bonus points for outdoor seating! Or a roof terrace, that'd be cool.

Comments

• Options
    The Castle near Angel tube has a roof terrace. Could carry on from three along clerkenwell road towards Holborn, few decent pubs along there, and The Griffin of course!
  • Options
    Actually, those directions are a bit misleading - the castle is on pentonville road but it still kind of works!
  • Options
    MrLargo said:

The Griffin of course!

Never again!*

*Statement might not be true
  • Options
    Princess Louise in Holborn is a must if only for the bogs. Harp in Covent Garden a proper drinking pub but small. Kings A
  • Options
    Yes, Princess Louise if you're in Holborn.
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    I'll let you search the 10 pages. The Alexandra in Wimbledon has a nice but busy roof terrace. Probably too far out.

http://www.beerintheevening.com/pubs/ftsearch.shtml?search=roof+terrace
  • Options
    The pubs by the river on the South Bank off Tooley Street are decent and the other south side of London Bridge.
  • Options
    If you're in holborn - go to the ship.
  • Options
    The Chandos on St Martin's Lane. A nice Samuel Smiths pub, gets a bit crowded though.
  • Options
    edited June 2017

The Chandos on St Martin's Lane. A nice Samuel Smiths pub, gets a bit crowded though.

It is nice. Very crowded on theatre days, but might be OK during matinee performance times.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The Coach and Horses on Greek Street in Soho
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    These should get you most of the way there:

The Lamb Tavern, Leadenhall Market
    The Counting House, Cornhill
    Simpsons Tavern, Cornhill
    Ye Ole Mitre, Ely Place
    Ye Olde Cheshire Cheese, The Strand (edit Fleet Street actually, but it's all the same)
    The Blackfrair, Blackfriars (obv.)
    The Edgar Wallace, Essex Street
    The Old Bank of England, The Strand
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    The Sherlock Holmes, Northumberland Street
    The John Snow, Broadwick Street

and we're there.
  • Options
    shame you aint coming from the opposite direction some lovely pubs in Shepherd's market
  • Options
    Excellent suggestions, especially Stig there. Thanks everyone.
  • Options
    7 Stars near the Law Courts.
  • Options
    CHGCHG
    edited June 2017
  • Options
    Stig said:

Ye Ole Mitre, Ely Place
    Ye Olde Cheshire Cheese, The Strand (edit Fleet Street actually, but it's all the same)

I'd double check if these are all open on a Saturday (assuming that's when your pub crawl is)
    I know through experience that Ye Olde Mitre isn't.
    I arranged a very good pub crawl from Trafalgar Square, up the Strand, along Fleet Street and on to Cannon Street last year. Hypothetically you could do it in reverse order.
    If you're interested message me and I'll dig it out.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    JiMMy 85 said:

MrOneLung said:

Hope you guys are all safe mate.

Thanks! We got lucky. We were right there but somehow avoided the whole thing.
    Good to hear that Jim...did you go to the 7 stars?
  • Options
    PopIcon said:

Stig said:

Ye Ole Mitre, Ely Place

I'd double check if these are all open on a Saturday (assuming that's when your pub crawl is)
    I arranged a very good pub crawl from Trafalgar Square, up the Strand, along Fleet Street and on to Cannon Street last year. Hypothetically you could do it in reverse order.
    Good call, Poplcon.

Lamb Tavern - not sure. I guess it depends if the market is open I've only ever been in the week
    Counting House - is a big (even by their standards) Spoons pub. Would be surprised if that closes.
    Simpsons - seems to keep some restricted hours even in the week, so wouldn't be surprised if it shuts on Saturdays.
    Old Mitre - shame that's not open weekends, it's a particular favourite of mine.
    Ye Olde Cheshire Cheese - pretty sure this would be open as it's more touristy and has entertainment in evenings.
    Blackfriar - is always open.
    Edgar Wallace - pretty sure I've been in there at a weekend.
    Old Bank of England - Big old Fullers pub, can't imagine them closing it.
  • Options

JiMMy 85 said:

MrOneLung said:

Honestly... I'm not sure! I think so. We hit about ten pubs in total, and my memory is now a little hazy.
  • Options
    Stig said:

PopIcon said:

Stig said:

Ye Ole Mitre, Ely Place

Good call, Poplcon.

Lamb Tavern - not sure. I guess it depends if the market is open I've only ever been in the week
    Counting House - is a big (even by their standards) Spoons pub. Would be surprised if that closes.
    Simpsons - seems to keep some restricted hours even in the week, so wouldn't be surprised if it shuts on Saturdays.
    Old Mitre - shame that's not open weekends, it's a particular favourite of mine.
    Ye Olde Cheshire Cheese - pretty sure this would be open as it's more touristy and has entertainment in evenings.
    Blackfriar - is always open.
    Edgar Wallace - pretty sure I've been in there at a weekend.
    Old Bank of England - Big old Fullers pub, can't imagine them closing it.
    Old Mitre is a superb tucked away gem.
    I know that Old Bank of England, Blackfriar and Cheshire Cheese are open on Saturday's as they were part of pub crawl. It's when you get in to the city it becomes tricky.
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:

JiMMy 85 said:

MrOneLung said:

Honestly... I'm not sure! I think so. We hit about ten pubs in total, and my memory is now a little hazy.
    Yes bound to be after ten pubs, still I'm sure you had a good time and you got home safely which is the main thing.
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    Had an ex work reunion last week in the City, and remembered this thread and had decent beer in all of them:-

Started in The Lamb Tavern but struggled to get a table for 4 of us so went down into Old Tom's. Nice sausage roll / pork pie / scotch egg platter.
    Counting House - enjoyed this - some of the private rooms at the back looked good fun
    Simpsons - The small bar on the right - barman let it down a bit
    Old Mitre - enjoyed this place
    Ye Olde Cheshire Cheese - my favourite - got a decent table in the main bar, great atmosphere and a real fire

bailed out at this point for China Town food, will look to do the back half another time. Thanks for all recommendations....
  • Options
    Definitely Princess Louise in Holborn.

You could try Ye Olde Cheshire Cheese on Fleet St on your way there so maybe get out at St Paul's. Between the Cheshire Cheese and the Princess, there's The Harp (https://www.standard.co.uk/go/london/bars/the-harp-review-covent-garden-pub-with-a-great-range-of-real-ales-a3694581.html), The Cross-Keys (https://www.standard.co.uk/go/london/bars/the-cross-keys-review-a-busy-covent-garden-pub-with-a-local-village-feel-a3696041.html) and The Lamb and Flag (https://www.standard.co.uk/go/london/bars/the-lamb-flag-review-a-busy-covent-garden-pub-steeped-in-history-a3695931.html).

I'd expect them all to be open on a Saturday.
  • Options
    Two cracking pubs in the St James' area are The Red Lion in Crown Passage and The Chequers in Duke Street St James. Really, really superb London pubs and great atmosphere this time of year.
  • Options

Had an ex work reunion last week in the City, and remembered this thread and had decent beer in all of them:-

Started in The Lamb Tavern but struggled to get a table for 4 of us so went down into Old Tom's. Nice sausage roll / pork pie / scotch egg platter.
    Counting House - enjoyed this - some of the private rooms at the back looked good fun
    Simpsons - The small bar on the right - barman let it down a bit
    Old Mitre - enjoyed this place
    Ye Olde Cheshire Cheese - my favourite - got a decent table in the main bar, great atmosphere and a real fire

bailed out at this point for China Town food, will look to do the back half another time. Thanks for all recommendations....

Love all of these pubs. Simpsons is a bit weird, but it's worth going for their stout.
  • Options
    Not a fan of boozers in Central London, but have been a long time fan of the Marques of Granby at the bottom of St Martins Lane.