Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Thunder lightning & heavy rain

Comments

• Options
    edited May 2018
    I knew I should have googled my question :smile:

Ok, here goes again. Why should you have the windows down ?
    If you have the windows down the lightning could come in and strike you, especially if you have a metal plate inserted somewhere.
    Not to mention that you'll also likely drown.
  • Options

13 thousand lightning strikes hit the UK in 24 hours

Amazingly none of them hit the same place twice...
  • Options
    Thankfully I carry a faraday cage for events such as this
  • Options
    I thought the whole car thing was that you had rubber tyres? Ive more than likely missed a shitload of science there though.
  • Options
    edited May 2018

*googles Faraday cage :-)

No need, let me explain - A Faraday cage or Faraday shield is an enclosure used to block electromagnetic fields. A Faraday shield may be formed by a continuous covering of conductive material or in the case of a Faraday cage, by a mesh of such materials. Faraday cages are named after the English scientist Michael Faraday, who invented them in 1836.[1] - I think that's all correct, but rusty on Faraday cages....
  • Options
    Thunderstorm didn't happen in the end, but I took this photo of the wedding venue from the opposite side of the river - Chateau de Beynac

• Options
    It’s nuts how Orpington literally got no thunder or rain during Sunday.
    Glorious sunny day just a few spots of rain around 1pm
    Seems other places got hammered.
  • Options

*googles Faraday cage :-)

No need, let me explain - A Faraday cage or Faraday shield is an enclosure used to block electromagnetic fields. A Faraday shield may be formed by a continuous covering of conductive material or in the case of a Faraday cage, by a mesh of such materials. Faraday cages are named after the English scientist Michael Faraday, who invented them in 1836.[1] - I think that's all correct, but rusty on Faraday cages....
    Is a rusty Faraday cage better than a normal one?
  • Options
    So what’s the deal for today. BBC saying sun all day, accuweather saying lightening thunder storms at lunchtime?

• Options

So what’s the deal for today. BBC saying sun all day, accuweather saying lightening thunder storms at lunchtime?

Your guess is as good as theirs.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Your guess is as good as theirs.
    Not making it easy planning things to do with the kids :-(
  • Options
    It looks sunny
  • Options

It's the problem with weather apps that give hourly symbols - how do you represent the chance of a thunderstorm at some point today ? Best to read the text version or watch the video .... or just guess ;-)
  • Options
    What’s your best interpretation @Hex for SE London out to North Kent today mate?
  • Options

What’s your best interpretation @Hex for SE London out to North Kent today mate?

Tonbridge for mini golf or Bedgebury Pinetum for is I think. Waterproofs in the faraday-cage-on-wheels to be safe
  • Options

Probably dry. Just the chance of a storm but with light winds you would get a fair bit of warning unless one forms over you, in which case beware of big clouds that get very dark quickly !
  • Options
    Driving into London from Dartford yesterday evening at 9pm there was a massive black cloud full of massive lightning strikes above the horizon, but it seemed to miss London completely
  • Options

I knew I should have googled my question :smile:

Ok, here goes again. Why should you have the windows down ?
    If you have the windows down the lightning could come in and strike you, especially if you have a metal plate inserted somewhere.
    Not to mention that you'll also likely drown.

Deary me, I was joking but tragically a man in his 80s has died after his vehicle became submerged in floodwater in Walsall, West Midlands.

https://news.sky.com/story/hottest-day-of-the-year-possible-despite-red-flood-warnings-11387926
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    A shower grew from nothing at 1:15pm to a storm 30mins later over Brighton. It is moving westwards with approx 5 lightning flashes per minute.
  • Options

Returning from holiday today and due to land at 8:30.
    Anyone know what’s Greek for Imodium?

Pbs, did you get home ?
  • Options
    Can hear a storm brewing in Bromley...
  • Options
    _nam11 said:

Can hear a storm brewing in Bromley...

So can I.
  • Options
    Cheers @Hex
  • Options
    Thunder here in Westcombe Park, starting to rain.
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    After the thunder rumbled for half and hour in Golders Green, it then chucked it down. It still looks quite bright outside though!
  • Options
    Thunder balls of lightning
    Very very frightening
    Me
  • Options
    This storm has wandered across London in a WSW direction and is currently over LHR with another bit over NW London. Its gone quite dark here in NW Kent but so far there are no rain echoes. Temperature is 23C.
  • Options
    Thunder here in Westcombe Park, starting to rain. Lots of blue sky.