Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Home arcade machine/cabinate

Does anyone have one of these? I'm thinking about getting one but building one with, what looks like, a simple kit seems to be a fraction of the price of buying a pre built one.

That could be because they are much harder to make than it seems or that if they take three hours plus (even if it's not too complicated) the price for that runs into the hundereds.

Has anyone built one of these? And do then end taking longer to dust each week than to play?

Comments

• Options
    A guy I used to work with makes them

What I will say is they seem like a good idea but in my honestly harsh opinion they look very second rate. And he makes lots of them. I know they are a lot cheaper to make yourself but unless you are a of a skill level to get all the finishing touches spot on I'd buy a decent one.

All that said, I have no idea if they come in a kit form that would ensure straight, nicely finished edges and symmetrical sides and legs. If they do then maybe worth a go

• Options
    The home made pinball tables using LED screens look impressive. I'd love to have the time to work on a project like that.
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    I've got a four-player NBA Jam machine in the garage. It's been there for... 15 years I think now. Love it, but it needs a bit of work to get it into shape. Only reason I haven't bothered is because it takes up so much space and I've not had the room for it.

I did mean to look into finding more games to plug into it. I gather it's just a case of plugging in a new circuit board.

• Options
    JiMMy 85 said:

I've got a four-player NBA Jam machine in the garage. It's been there for... 15 years I think now. Love it, but it needs a bit of work to get it into shape. Only reason I haven't bothered is because it takes up so much space and I've not had the room for it.

I did mean to look into finding more games to plug into it. I gather it's just a case of plugging in a new circuit board.

I think so. There is a, kind of, universal connection called Jamma and that can be attached to several different types of 'circuit board', some of which come in a plastic case, which have between 19 and over 1,000 different games on them.

That NBA Jam game does look very bug the one I'm zoning in on is much smaller and comes flat packed but pre-drilled and painted black or dark grey.

I think, however, that Carter's comments might have put me off a little. It never occurred to me that it would just be a cheap piece of crap that I would want to get rid of as soon as I've finished it. My DIY stills are poor at best.
  • Options
    I hasten to add, when I shared a house with friends, we had plenty of space so NBA and the fruity were next to each other at the back of the living room with bar stools and a pool table And it was cool as fuck.