Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The Dillon Phillips Quandary

Comments

• If Bowyer didn't rate Phillips, then he wouldn't have started Phillips yesterday at Shrewsbury.
    And once again, Phillips has done well.

Bowyer and his coaches will have seen that. No reason to pull Dillon out of a winning side.
    Dillion has got the shirt right now, and knows that if he wants to keep it, he's got to play out of his skin.

That's the competitive edge that having 2 keepers in the squad desperate to play, gives you.

Maxwell is the more experienced of the two keepers, no question. And he's played at a higher level.
    But he knows football ..... and he knows that he must work hard in training and wait his opportunity.
    Once he's got it though, he won't want to let go.

Bowyer wants promotion. And to him, that will mean playing his most effective team, with the most effective keeper.

• been a different player lately .. he's calmed down, looks more relaxed and is 100% better than at the start of the season .. terrific shot stopper but still needs to work on his timing in coming for the ball in the air .. not an easy skill to master
  • To say Maxwell is no improvement on Phillips is questionable.

Maxwell is an experienced Championship keeper. Phillips has never played at that level.

If Phillips was that good a keeper someone would have swooped and RD would have cashed in on him a long time ago. He's okay for this level but I'm not convinced he's top six material.

Being one of our own is irrelevant in the debate. He and Maxwell are both here until the end of the season and chances are neither of them will be here next season. In the meantime I'm more concerned with the progress of Charlton Athletic than the progress of Phillips or Maxwell. I just want the best keeper possible to play for us and help get us out of this flea pit of a league. Maxwell is probably the better of the two keepers but for now the shirt is Phillips to lose. However if Bowyer decides Maxwell should play I won't lose any sleep over it.

Phillips probably hasn't been in the shop window enough to be sold - yet. But some, as supporters, would expect him to stick with the Club. Pope was highly criticised by some for his mistakes and then, in equal measure when he left, told that all he would be, at best, a bench warmer for Burnley. But, within two years, played for England.

Time will tell but, what is for certain, whoever is in goal will be under close scrutiny just because of the situation they find themselves in - and of the two probably Maxwell more because Phillips hasn't done anything wrong.
    Number of games played is irrelevant IMO.

A number of top prospects have left us over the years in some cases never even kicking a ball for the first team like Defoe or Palmer. Others moved on with little experience.
    Shelvey 42 games
    Poyet 20 games
    Pope 33 games
    Gomez 21 games
    Jenkinson 8 games

We'll see where Phillips ends up next season. It may still be with us but I don't see him joining even a Championship team as things stand. Lack of experience didn't hinder moves for those 7 players either when you look at how many games they played for us.

I'm not digging Phillips out I just think if he was good enough he'd be playing at a higher level already. As it is since reclaiming the shirt it's fair to say he deserves it over Maxwell for now.
  • edited January 2019

To say Maxwell is no improvement on Phillips is questionable.

Maxwell is an experienced Championship keeper. Phillips has never played at that level.

If Phillips was that good a keeper someone would have swooped and RD would have cashed in on him a long time ago. He's okay for this level but I'm not convinced he's top six material.

Being one of our own is irrelevant in the debate. He and Maxwell are both here until the end of the season and chances are neither of them will be here next season. In the meantime I'm more concerned with the progress of Charlton Athletic than the progress of Phillips or Maxwell. I just want the best keeper possible to play for us and help get us out of this flea pit of a league. Maxwell is probably the better of the two keepers but for now the shirt is Phillips to lose. However if Bowyer decides Maxwell should play I won't lose any sleep over it.

This 100%
    If Maxwell was such a good keeper PNE wouldn't have let him out on loan with us - he may be more experienced but that doesn't make him better.
    Reading between the lines, IMO Maxwell was available because there's muddy water at Preston.
    Back in November, there was an incident during a Preston League match and Maxwell was sent off. His manager hadn't played him since.

There seems to be tension at Preston between their manager and Maxwell.
    I reckon he's here at Charlton to be away from that, and to make a fresh start.

• edited January 2019

By the same token, I can't see how you can say Maxwell is probably better than Philips. The guy has spent most of his career knocking around League One and Two before he went to Preston North End. Right now he can't get in the PNE side and is out on loan with just a year left on his contract, which is not a good look for any player.

Phillips probably hasn't been in the shop window enough to be sold - yet. But some, as supporters, would expect him to stick with the Club. Pope was highly criticised by some for his mistakes and then, in equal measure when he left, told that all he would be, at best, a bench warmer for Burnley. But, within two years, played for England.

Time will tell but, what is for certain, whoever is in goal will be under close scrutiny just because of the situation they find themselves in - and of the two probably Maxwell more because Phillips hasn't done anything wrong.

A number of top prospects have left us over the years in some cases never even kicking a ball for the first team like Defoe or Palmer. Others moved on with little experience.
    Shelvey 42 games
    Poyet 20 games
    Pope 33 games
    Gomez 21 games
    Jenkinson 8 games

We'll see where Phillips ends up next season. It may still be with us but I don't see him joining even a Championship team as things stand. Lack of experience didn't hinder moves for those 7 players either when you look at how many games they played for us.

I'm not digging Phillips out I just think if he was good enough he'd be playing at a higher level already. As it is since reclaiming the shirt it's fair to say he deserves it over Maxwell for now.
    Pope had played over a hundred games in total for us and other clubs before he left us. Phillips has had only 17 games for us and 37 for Cheltenham back in 2015/16 - when they romped the National League with 101 points and Phillips let in just 21 goals.

Keepers are a different breed when it comes to being picked up by top clubs. Every single one of our last 8 England keepers (Pope, Hart, McCarthy, Pickford, Heaton, Forster, Ruddy and Butland) cut their teeth at lower League Clubs. In the case of the current England number one, Pickford, he went on loan to the likes of Alfreton and Darlington. Equally, Heaton was at Man Utd as a trainee until he was 24 but never actually played a game for them.

So you don't know how good a keeper is until he actually gets to play at that level. You can, however, see when they aren't good enough be it because of their shot stopping ability, positioning, commanding of the box, distribution, handling etc etc are suspect. Phillips has done nothing to suggest the latter and he has had to wait long enough for this opportunity.

Shelvey 42 games
    Poyet 20 games
    Pope 33 games
    Gomez 21 games
    Jenkinson 8 games

Pope had played over a hundred games in total for us and other clubs before he left us. Phillips has had only 17 games for us and 37 for Cheltenham back in 2015/16 - when they romped the National League with 101 points and Phillips let in just 21 goals.

Keepers are a different breed when it comes to being picked up by top clubs. Every single one of our last 8 England keepers (Pope, Hart, McCarthy, Pickford, Heaton, Forster, Ruddy and Butland) cut their teeth at lower League Clubs. In the case of the current England number one, Pickford, he went on loan to the likes of Alfreton and Darlington. Equally, Heaton was at Man Utd as a trainee until he was 24 but never actually played a game for them.

So you don't know how good a keeper is until he actually gets to play at that level. You can, however, see when they aren't good enough be it because of their shot stopping ability, positioning, commanding of the box, distribution, handling etc etc are suspect. Phillips has done nothing to suggest the latter and he has had to wait long enough for this opportunity.

Let's not make out that Phillips is the next Buffon though. He is still young and although I am not a massive fan, I do agree he deserves a chance. I wouldn't drop him and hope he gets a decent run in the side.

But I haven't been massively impressed. I think he should have saved a few goals at the start of the season. Still believe he is being slightly over-hyped because he is an academy graduate.
  • Got all their albums now , after being re-released on vinyl !
  • edited January 2019

Shelvey 42 games
    Poyet 20 games
    Pope 33 games
    Gomez 21 games
    Jenkinson 8 games

Let's not make out that Phillips is the next Buffon though. He is still young and although I am not a massive fan, I do agree he deserves a chance. I wouldn't drop him and hope he gets a decent run in the side.

But I haven't been massively impressed. I think he should have saved a few goals at the start of the season. Still believe he is being slightly over-hyped because he is an academy graduate.
    Old cliche in football:
    "A player is only as good as his last game"

Bowyer has already said that Phillips' game has improved significantly since the beginning of the season. Bowyer has the experienced Maxwell on board now, but started Phillips again at Shrewsbury, where he played well.

On the basis of, ""A player is only as good as his last game", then Phillips will probably start again next match. And so he should.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited January 2019

Shelvey 42 games
    Poyet 20 games
    Pope 33 games
    Gomez 21 games
    Jenkinson 8 games

I'm certainly not suggesting Phillips is the next Buffon! As I say, though, many were only too keen to jump on Pope when he made those mistakes - that is part and parcel of being a keeper and there is far more forgiveness for the striker that misses the sitter but then scores the winner than the keeper that makes the blunder that costs two points but then makes the wonder save that gains a point. The former is remembered for the goal that won the game but the latter is for the goal that cost two points.
  • Oggy Red said:

Shelvey 42 games
    Poyet 20 games
    Pope 33 games
    Gomez 21 games
    Jenkinson 8 games

Old cliche in football:

Bowyer has already said that Phillips' game has improved significantly since the beginning of the season. Bowyer has the experienced Maxwell on board now, but started Phillips again at Shrewsbury, where he played well.

On the basis of, ""A player is only as good as his last game", then Phillips will probably start again next match. And so he should.
    He absolutely should. And if he carries on playing well then he should never be dropped, even if it pisses Preston off.
    I don't think Preston will care. Fairly sure they wanted him out. Doubtful he will play for them again unless the manager goes.
  • Oggy Red said:

Shelvey 42 games
    Poyet 20 games
    Pope 33 games
    Gomez 21 games
    Jenkinson 8 games

Old cliche in football:

He absolutely should. And if he carries on playing well then he should never be dropped, even if it pisses Preston off.
    I don't think Preston will care. Fairly sure they wanted him out. Doubtful he will play for them again unless the manager goes.
    Exactly what I tried to say in my earlier post.

Maxwell's not a young keeper who needs games to boost his development.
    There's a problem between him and his Preston manager - and he's here for a fresh start.

Maybe to even play for a contract.

• Oggy Red said:

Oggy Red said:

Shelvey 42 games
    Poyet 20 games
    Pope 33 games
    Gomez 21 games
    Jenkinson 8 games

Old cliche in football:

Exactly what I tried to say in my earlier post.

Maxwell's not a young keeper who needs games to boost his development.
    There's a problem between him and his Preston manager - and he's here for a fresh start.

Maybe to even play for a contract.

Last season he had a spat with the goalkeeper coach and was sent home from training. In November he was sent off at Ipswich for two yellow cards and the manager immediately told him he was not first choice any longer. It festered from there.
  • Don't believe I've posted previously on this thread but as far as I'm concerned, Dillon has the shirt and should keep the shirt until such time as he's injured ( hopefully not) or makes significant errors in a game to have his confidence /skill seriously questioned.

For me, he's done everything asked of him of late and yesterday definitely kept us in the game a couple of times.

Why change the 'keeper of a winning team who has kept another clean sheet ?
  • 100 %. Just don’t sell him.....great game yesterday. We now have decent cover for Dillon.
  • 2 consecutive clean sheets and counting, 2 goals conceded by the team in the 4 game run since Dhillon took over. I thought it might still have been a little too soon for him when Steer left but what do I know...
  • I hope we sort out a contract for him - would be a waste to let him go. I do think he has the makings of a good keeper.
  • Sponsored links:

• Keep proving me wrong Phillips, I love a bit of humble pie!

Top work!
  • 2 fantastic saves yesterday + caught everything else.
    His distribution gets criticised, but I thought it was excellent in this game. He looked comfortable passing it around with the defenders and hit some good long balls too.
  • I hope we sort out a contract for him - would be a waste to let him go. I do think he has the makings of a good keeper.

I would not be surprised if he leaves just because of how he was jerked around.

I would not be surprised if he leaves just because of how he was jerked around.
    Was she fit at least
  • edited January 2019
    Been very impressed with him since he’s come back into the side. Personally I think playing second fiddle to Steer has made him knuckle down and really work on his game. 1) that’s exactly the reaction you’d hope for and 2) I think it’s really paid dividends because he looks like he’s improved to me, and I think the back 4 look more confident in him too. He’s been drawing praise from Bowyer too so I think we can put to bed the notion that Bows doesn’t rate him.

Absolutely his place to lose at the moment, and very luxurious for a League 1 team to have two keepers of the quality of Dills and Maxwell (sounds like pair of local radio breakfast djs).
  • Since Phillips came back into the side on New Years Day, we have conceded 5 goals in 9 matches. The last time a keeper did that was back in 2011-12 when Hamer was in goal. And we all know what happened that season.

Let's hope history repeats itself and we are promoted again - albeit that we will have to do it via the play offs and as a result of our sound defending rather than an ability to score an abundance of goals.

• he's doing really well. got say I think he's better than steer
  • Phillips has improved and is doing really well. He deserves to keep his place.
    However, the 5 goals conceded in 9 games, is as much if not more to do with the defending, having a proper left back playing and Sarr's improved form.

Phillips is not the main reason, in exactly the same way as he wasn't mainly to blame, when he conceded a lot more at the start of the season.
  • Phillips has improved and is doing really well. He deserves to keep his place.
    However, the 5 goals conceded in 9 games, is as much if not more to do with the defending, having a proper left back playing and Sarr's improved form.

Phillips is not the main reason, in exactly the same way as he wasn't mainly to blame, when he conceded a lot more at the start of the season.
    When was he conceding a lot more? As far as I remember Steer was in goal when we shipped 5 against Scunthorpe.
  • So far as I recall; Dillon hasn't conceded more than one goal a game all season