Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The Dillon Phillips Quandary

Comments

• Is there some kind of clause that says Steer has to play? Surprised he played today after midweek, and if he plays against Barnsley then Phillips might as well start looking for a new club.
  • Is there some kind of clause that says Steer has to play? Surprised he played today after midweek, and if he plays against Barnsley then Phillips might as well start looking for a new club.

Exactly what I’m thinking. Desperate for a goalie, and the only way Villa would loan him to us was if he plays.
  • Ross said:

Is there some kind of clause that says Steer has to play? Surprised he played today after midweek, and if he plays against Barnsley then Phillips might as well start looking for a new club.

Exactly what I’m thinking. Desperate for a goalie, and the only way Villa would loan him to us was if he plays.
    Terminate the loan then. This is costing us points now and Phillips has to return.
  • So you’ve all found your new scapegoat I see.
  • Steer was pretty cack today - can't take a proper goal kick and I felt was lucky to be awarded a foul when he seemed to spill a shot in the first half. His distribution was poor.

Obviously he'll stay as our No1 as Bowyer knows it's important to back your loan keeper.
  • the quandary is that our two first choice keepers right now are both dodgy

Isnt a scapegoat its the inability to understand why Steer is being picked over Phillips when the stats speak for themselves, seeing that both players have now played the exact same amount of games

Phillips: 2 | 1 | 1 | 1 | 0 | 1 - 6 goals conceded
    Steer: 2 | 0 | 1 | 2 | 5 | 2 - 12 goals conceded
    Because everyone knows that every goal ever scored is exclusively on the keeper. Give over.

Isnt a scapegoat its the inability to understand why Steer is being picked over Phillips when the stats speak for themselves, seeing that both players have now played the exact same amount of games

Because everyone knows that every goal ever scored is exclusively on the keeper. Give over.
    Have u watched Steer.

He doesnt come off his line
    He struggles to pass the ball to the defence

I would be surprised if he has even made a save this season, nothing that stands out anyway
  • Sponsored links:

So why was Phillips dropped then? - He made two errors in those six games yet Steer has made just as many himself

It wont help either if the Defence dont have any faith in the man in goal either
  • Steer is shit we have been given a bum steer.
  • edited October 2018

So you’ve all found your new scapegoat I see.

Pearce took him to one side after one of their corners and had a word with him. Probably trying to get him to leave his line. Not a good sign in my opinion.
  • I reckon Pearce should be more concerned about giving away back to back open crosses in the last 5 minutes. Nitpicking over passes Coventry let us have all game is very desperate.
  • Some of our fans have it in for Phillips and keen to exaggerate his faults. I see nothing in Steer that is better - could someone enlighten me why he's playing? It has to be down to the terms of the loan deal.

• edited October 2018
    Will have to watch it again, but don’t think Steer can be blamed for either goal today. Thought he had a fairly solid game.

Neither of them are worldies, but people forget it took Amos a month or so of regular football last season before he started to show real form
  • Will have to watch it again, but don’t think Steer can be blamed for either goal today. Thought he had a fairly solid game.

Neither of them are worldies, but people forget it took Amos a month or so of regular football last season before he started to show real form

Can't blame Steer for the goals today but felt his distribution was poor(supposedly his strong point) and he doesn't seem confident. He spilled the ball in the first half and I felt he was lucky to be awarded a foul.

Not seeing much improvement so far whereas Amos after a couple of shaky opening games really came to the fore.

Hopefully things will improve...
  • Sponsored links:

• edited October 2018
    It's not just about the goals Steer has conceded though, it's about the understanding he has with those around him and whether he commands his box. For me he hasn't impressed on either front as he appears to very much be a stay at home keeper.
  • People are taking their frustration of Phillips not playing out on Steer IMO.

Completely agree that Phillips should be playing, instead of getting in a loan every year. Rudd, Amos and now Steer.

Would much rather one of our boys was playing, however I really don't think Steer has been terrible.

So I half agree with the consensus. Phillips should be in goal, but not because Steer is poor. More because it's time for Phillips to step up and make the shirt his own for the next few years.

I don't think Charlton see Dillon as a future keeper and imagine he'll leave at the end of the season. It looks like Steer will remain in goal barring injury.

Completely agree that Phillips should be playing, instead of getting in a loan every year. Rudd, Amos and now Steer.

Would much rather one of our boys was playing, however I really don't think Steer has been terrible.

So I half agree with the consensus. Phillips should be in goal, but not because Steer is poor. More because it's time for Phillips to step up and make the shirt his own for the next few years.

Agree pretty much entirely with this, people are picking every possible fault of Steer’s in an attempt to get Phillips back in. No doubt the other side of the camp will start on Phillips when the change is made.

On Steers distribution, yes he could be more accurate but I rather him putting his foot through every dodgy back pass and actually getting it past the halfway line rather than straight to an opposition player or out of play.

Agree pretty much entirely with this, people are picking every possible fault of Steer’s in an attempt to get Phillips back in. No doubt the other side of the camp will start on Phillips when the change is made.

On Steers distribution, yes he could be more accurate but I rather him putting his foot through every dodgy back pass and actually getting it past the halfway line rather than straight to an opposition player or out of play.
    If Steer was a big improvement on Phillips there wouldn't be an argument but it seems a bit daft to play a loan keeper if he isn't. The main argument I've heard in Steer's favour is his distribution but I didn't really see much of that today.

I imagine Phillips will be off at the end of the season.
  • Will have to watch it again, but don’t think Steer can be blamed for either goal today. Thought he had a fairly solid game.

I think he can be, if he wasnt glued to his line he could have come out and caught the ball
  • Steer looks distinctively average so far. Don't think you can say he's cost us a goal but watching the winner its straight down the centre of the goal I'd expect most keepers to save it.
  • When a keeper lets in 7 goals in 2 games and hardly makes a save in said games, it's not good. Positionly he is not good and not good in the air gives me no confidence.

But it isn’t just who is good or not, a responsibility of a goalkeeper is to give the defenders who play in-front of him confidence - we looked like a more confident defence when Phillips was in goal.