Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Cricket - World Champions Trophy 2017

Comments

• At a major tournament like this, the icc should have the power to move the start time at 24 hours notice. I know it's a ball ache for spectators who are expecting a 1.30 start, but everyone knew the forecast & a 10.30 am start would've meant a full game, which is surely better for the tournament!

Sorry, but you can't bring the start time forward 3 hrs, with just 24 hrs notice.
  • What i dont understand is that the commentators were saying that if its rained off then Bangladesh are out. But surely, if Bangla beat NZ and Eng beat NZ and Oz then NZ will have 1 point and Bangla will have 4 points and OZ having 2 points ?

Any ideas anyone?
  • What i dont understand is that the commentators were saying that if its rained off then Bangladesh are out. But surely, if Bangla beat NZ and Eng beat NZ and Oz then NZ will have 1 point and Bangla will have 4 points and OZ having 2 points ?

Any ideas anyone?
    The commentators are wrong and you are right. The reason I know this to be the case is not just because your logic is correct but that on Betfair you can lay Bangladesh at 240 - whereas if they were out you wouldn't be able to lay them at any price and more likely they wouldn't even be in the market.
  • And mathematics makes you right. So basically England have to win one out of their next two games. But if tomorrowis rained off and we lose to Australia and NZ beat Bangladesh we would be out! But if we beat NZ, we will definitely top the group so tomorrow is a massive game.
  • And mathematics makes you right. So basically England have to win one out of their next two games. But if tomorrowis rained off and we lose to Australia and NZ beat Bangladesh we would be out! But if we beat NZ, we will definitely top the group so tomorrow is a massive game.

Tomorrow's forecast is showers throughout, so I'm hoping if they're light and they have decent covers, we'll get a result.

I think I'd bat second, so you have more idea what the target will be.

Any ideas anyone?
    The commentators are wrong and you are right. The reason I know this to be the case is not just because your logic is correct but that on Betfair you can lay Bangladesh at 240 - whereas if they were out you wouldn't be able to lay them at any price and more likely they wouldn't even be in the market.
    not quite true, occasionally on the exchanges like Betfair you can still get a price when it's "impossible" for something to happen as the market does not always update straight away.

However, President is right and Bangladesh are not out yet. The two rained off games puts us in a strong position, even if we don't get enough play tomorrow.

Any ideas anyone?
    not quite true, occasionally on the exchanges like Betfair you can still get a price when it's "impossible" for something to happen as the market does not always update straight away.

However, President is right and Bangladesh are not out yet. The two rained off games puts us in a strong position, even if we don't get enough play tomorrow.
    I'm sorry it is true in 99.9999% of the time on Betfair - especially so long after a match such as this.

The only time it does happen is when small punters want to free up their stake so they can bet on the next event. But we weren't talking pennies in this instance - there was hundreds of pounds up there. Equally, sometimes Betfair are slow in removing the selection from the market but, as I say, ordinarily they would have done.

I should know - I worked for Betfair for more than a decade ;-)
  • The forecast for Cardiff looks bad from 1pm onwards. I think this will be another abandoned game
  • Dreadful English weather...
  • Hmmm. Turned into a bit of a damp squib so far this tournament
  • Sponsored links:

• Hmmm. Turned into a bit of a damp squib so far this tournament

Yes, 2 games with no result, and 2 where the chasing team collapsed badly. The tournament badly needs an exciting finish
  • The weather forecast for Cardiff today....never mind the rain, look at the wind!

Any ideas anyone?

I'm sorry it is true in 99.9999% of the time on Betfair - especially so long after a match such as this.

The only time it does happen is when small punters want to free up their stake so they can bet on the next event. But we weren't talking pennies in this instance - there was hundreds of pounds up there. Equally, sometimes Betfair are slow in removing the selection from the market but, as I say, ordinarily they would have done.

I should know - I worked for Betfair for more than a decade ;-)
    And I have done a large amount of matched betting where I use the exchanges a lot.

I do agree that its true most of the time, just not always. And yes its now a good amount of time, but last night when the figures were posted the match had not long been finished.

I have seen it a lot in the tennis when a player gets knocked out, their odds can still be something like 500-1, perhaps people laying £10000 for an easy £20.

It's perhaps more often seen on Smarkets than Betfair as they are a smaller and quite frankly worse site.
  • England have stuck with Roy which is no real shock, although I am surprised they stuck with Ball. I don't doubt Rashid would have replaced him if Woakes were fit, still surprised he is playing, I thought Willey might have got a game.
  • Willey was poor against S Africa. Not that it matters, as there's very little chance that England will get to bowl anyway!
  • Willey was poor against S Africa. Not that it matters, as there's very little chance that England will get to bowl anyway!

Yes but he's been a part of this team that has done so well and Ball was awful against Bangladesh who are not a patch on South Africa
  • Roy out and surely out of the tournament.
  • Roy has got just 34 runs in his last 6 innings for England. Watching him at the crease he seems totally without a game plan and if anything is guilty of "over thinking" and "over complicate" rather than playing on instinct e.g. trying to scoop a ball in the 3rd over.

He doesn't open for Surrey in the CC because his technique simply isn't up to it but he is destructive at his best in T20. The 50 over format is the "half way house" and whether he can consistently do it remains to be seen.

The way Morgan was talking pre tournament they will stick with Roy for one more match at least. And the fact that they have that first win they can probably afford to so even if Bairstow must be wondering what he has to do to get into the side.

Gone again relatively cheaply - moving across his stumps and leaving his leg peg exposed to NZ's fastest bowler. 47 runs now in his last 7 innings for England..
  • Roy has got just 34 runs in his last 6 innings for England. Watching him at the crease he seems totally without a game plan and if anything is guilty of "over thinking" and "over complicate" rather than playing on instinct e.g. trying to scoop a ball in the 3rd over.

He doesn't open for Surrey in the CC because his technique simply isn't up to it but he is destructive at his best in T20. The 50 over format is the "half way house" and whether he can consistently do it remains to be seen.

The way Morgan was talking pre tournament they will stick with Roy for one more match at least. And the fact that they have that first win they can probably afford to so even if Bairstow must be wondering what he has to do to get into the side.

Gone again relatively cheaply - moving across his stumps and leaving his leg peg exposed to NZ's fastest bowler. 47 runs now in his last 7 innings for England..
    13 runs in 23 balls today, so a poor strike rate as well
  • Not looking good for Roy - needs to go back to Surrey and get some confidence back.
  • Sponsored links:

• I'm assuming NZ won toss ? If so, isn't that the 5th in a row we have lost ?
  • Just found out on Cricinfo the rationale for teams on equal points...

wins, then NRR, then head-to-head,then seeding
  • I think they'll stick with Roy, but I agree the rest of the team can't keep carrying him
  • Roy has scored 47 runs in last 7 innings at average of 6.71.
    Cant keep him in the side on those figures - he's become a liability.
  • Roy has scored 47 runs in last 7 innings at average of 6.71.

I have to agree with you, starting to eat up balls as well.
  • hundred up for England in the 20th over
    103-1
  • CHG said:

Roy has scored 47 runs in last 7 innings at average of 6.71.

I have to agree with you, starting to eat up balls as well.
    Bl00dy hell - maybe that's his problem - he's not eating enough.
  • 118-2 Hales out Bowled Milne the ball after he hit him for 6
  • Hales bowled by a slower ball for 56, 118-2
  • Looking forward to seeing Milne at Kent ;-)

118-2 off 21

Hales out for 56 (62)

Root 46* (41)