Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Cricket - World Champions Trophy 2017

Comments

• Options
    Roy can win you a game - as can Bairstow.
  • Options

If Woakes is injured, and a doubt for the rest of the tournament, are we allowed to bring in a replacement? Otherwise, we may have to go with Rashid - we play next in Cardiff, maybe that will suit spin more as the Oval pitch didn't turn at all?

As an aside, they may be playing as batsmen, but it's a curio that we have an ODI squad that includes 3 wicket keepers, and
    not just part time ones, and that the one actually keeping wicket is probably the worst one with the gloves!

Yes we are.
  • Options
    As you all know I am one of Roy's biggest fans. I do think he will open for us in limited overs cricket for a good number of years to come. He's a very good player and got in the team of the tournament at the T20 world cup.

However that stint of not playing at the IPL seems to have ruined his form and confidence. So much so that even I think that for now it's probably best to drop him. Billings would be the like for like replacement but I would go Bairstow as you just have to for him in somewhere. I'd be tempted to open with Buttler or maybe Willey and have Bairstow at 5.
  • Options
    Woakes has been ruled out of the tournament. I was reading Mike Selvey's tweets this morning and he suggested that Broad is worth a call up?
  • Options
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/40130286

A hard player to replace. Someone like Finn doesn't bat as well, and isn't in the best of bowling form anyway. Woakes is a genuine all rounder
  • Options
    McBobbin said:

CHG said:

Ball is the first bowler to go for 80+ three times in a calendar year, I can't seem him playing again this tourno.

Surprised Dernbach didn't manage that
    Wot, no Jordan ?
  • Options
    edited June 2017
  • Options
    I'm all for keeping a settled side but you cant keep opening with Roy & seeing him gone by the 2nd over and expecting the number 3 to keep shoring up the side.

Btw, I don't rate Billings & as said earlier I think Bairstow should be playing, either as opener or further down & promote Buttler or even Ali. (I'm not a selector & don't see them everyday in training so there may be a better option)

Also, we now know that Woakes is out for the tournament so a new bowler is needed - not necessarily an all roader but Broad can bat a bit and we do have plenty of batting options - its our bowling that needs boosting a bit.
  • Options
    Bairstow is a far better player than Billings.
  • Options
    The rain has badly affected the N Zealand Australia match, they might struggle to complete it
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited June 2017

The rain has badly affected the N Zealand Australia match, they might struggle to complete it

They didn't - match abandoned. 1 point each.
  • Options
    will that help us or would it have ben better one team losing & being on 0 points along with Bangladesh, rather than having both with a point each ?
  • Options
    We beat NZ we are through.
  • Options
    Deffo helps us. Win one more and we're through. That wasn't the case this morning
  • Options
    The game was building up quite nicely, Australia had a challenging DLM target but gettable as long as they didn't lose any more wickets
  • Options
    Oz got out of jail in that .
    Their rate was already over 8 an over.
  • Options
    Today is South Africa v Sri Lanka at The Oval
  • Options

Today is South Africa v Sri Lanka at The Oval

I'll be there but looking at the south London sky from the conservatory this morning I'm not convinced with the 'dry' weather that is being forecast on my phone app.
  • Options
    I wouldn't want to be Sri Lanka if they get put in first then. SA will do to them what they did to us
  • Options
    SA 51-1 14 overs.

SL have bowled very well.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    156 for 1 in the 29th over.
    I reckon they will get close to 350 here
  • Options
    299 for 6 total.
    Great bowling by Sri Lanka
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    Yep. I thought SL bowled really well and on that basis I give SL a decent chance to win.

Possibly depends how many wickets Rabada takes.
  • Options
    Tharanga dropped by Rabada. An easy c&b.
  • Options
    didn't matter in the end - SL collapse to 203 all out in 40 overs, after being 80 something for 1 after 10 overs, They scored around 110 in 30 overs - shocking.

I reckon the semi finals will be between England, Oz, S Africa & India.
  • Options
    What happens if side finishes with same points - possible for NZ and OZ.
    is it NRR?
  • Options

Well there's a novelty a Surrey man picking a Yorkshireman over a Kent man
  • Options
    Looks like the nz match may be rained off.
  • Options

Well there's a novelty a Surrey man picking a Yorkshireman over a Kent man
    TBH, anyone who thinks Billings is better than Bairstow has clearly had too many Spitfire beers.
  • Options

Looks like the nz match may be rained off.

New Zealand? It's India v Pakistan today