Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Cricket - World Champions Trophy 2017

Comments

• Options

Who are we opening with if Roy was dropped? Buttler?

Bairstow - he scored 174 earlier in the month for Yorkshire against Durham opening in a 50 over game.
  • Options

Who are we opening with if Roy was dropped? Buttler?

Bairstow
  • Options
    You would like to think Bairstow would open with Hales, but for some reason I can see them moving Ali up to open and JB at 7
  • Options
    Billings should open,
  • Options

Billings should open,

Good shout, I'd forgotten about him.
  • Options

Billings should open,

If I was Bairstow, and Billings got picked instead of, i'd be pretty peed off. Bairstows rcecent batting record has been exemplary.
  • Options

Billings should open,

Good shout, I'd forgotten about him.
    It's not a good shout at all, admittedly Billings deserves a chance in the future but Bairstow is the one who should come in. Whether he or Buttler opens doesn't matter, Bairstow for Roy makes our top 5 complete.

• Options
    England looking good here
  • Options
    At times Root makes batting look rather easy.
  • Options

Don't talk him out!! :wink:
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    LenGlover said:

Don't talk him out!! :wink:
    I won't but it does look as if his ankle injury is getting the better of him.
  • Options
    Woakes injured, Root looking injured, Stokes not fully fit. Things aren't really going our way
  • Options
    I'm not sure that he's doing himself much good carrying on batting but obviously doesn't want to take the initiative away from England.
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    260-2

Root 102 no
    Morgan 58 no

The commentators say this will be the highest ever ICC run chase in history (if successful, which it will be).
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    England win by 8 wickets

Root 133 no

Morgan 75 no.
  • Options
    Absolute cakewalk. We look as though we could chase down anything. In total control today.
  • Options
    First time 300+ has been chased in the Champions Trophy.
  • Options
    That chase was a masterclass
  • Options
    It's a sign of how ODI cricket has changed in the last few years, that England chasing down 305 was so uneventful! At no stage did they ever really look like losing. Bit concerned about the bowling as we need a fit Woakes. Ball was poor, while Willey seems out of form. Perhaps we should call up Darren Stevens :smile:

Nice day at the Oval, and the Bangladeshi supporters enjoyed themselves!
  • Options
    Ball is the first bowler to go for 80+ three times in a calendar year, I can't seem him playing again this tourno.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited June 2017
    CHG said:

Ball is the first bowler to go for 80+ three times in a calendar year, I can't seem him playing again this tourno.

Surprised Dernbach didn't manage that
  • Options
    CHG said:

I hope you're right.

Aus v NZ tomorrow.
  • Options
    I think Toy has got to be dropped - can't keep having Root go in after 2 overs. Bairstow should open (if he's done it before) if not then Butler & then play Bairstow in his place.

Also think Broad should play & Ball dropped - who was it bowled at the death in the 2nd game v S Africa - Wood ? Whats happened to Dernbach ?? I thought he was a good death bowler.
  • Options

I think Toy has got to be dropped - can't keep having Root go in after 2 overs. Bairstow should open (if he's done it before) if not then Butler & then play Bairstow in his place.

Also think Broad should play & Ball dropped - who was it bowled at the death in the 2nd game v S Africa - Wood ? Whats happened to Dernbach ?? I thought he was a good death bowler.

Bairstow has been opening for Yorkshire so think he's worth a go. Buttler is a decent 20 over opener but would go with Bairstow at this point, keeping Buttler at 5.
    Dernbachs not getting a recall, neither is Broad, so would go with Woakes, Stokes, Plunkett and Wood as our 4, with 2 spinners. Think Willey is unlucky not to be in the side and would bring him in if Woakes is injured.
  • Options

We all drop our toys sometimes :) why can't root open? But Bairstow makes a world of sense I rate Roy but we can't wait for him to hit form now
    Could he play down the order?

Broad is a good shout
  • Options
    Rashid, Willey, Billings and Bairstow were the 4 in the squad who didn't play today. Would be amazed if Rashid doesn't come in for Ball for the next game.
  • Options
    And Bairstow
  • Options
    If Woakes is injured, and a doubt for the rest of the tournament, are we allowed to bring in a replacement? Otherwise, we may have to go with Rashid - we play next in Cardiff, maybe that will suit spin more as the Oval pitch didn't turn at all?

As an aside, they may be playing as batsmen, but it's a curio that we have an ODI squad that includes 3 wicket keepers, and
    not just part time ones, and that the one actually keeping wicket is probably the worst one with the gloves!
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    McBobbin said:

And Bairstow

I would bring him in for Roy, but wouldn't be surprised if they stuck with Roy, they have certainly seen him and Hales as the partnership for years to come. Maybe a shame Bairstow didn't get a game opening against South Africa
  • Options
    Roy has got just 34 runs in his last 6 innings for England. Watching him at the crease he seems totally without a game plan and if anything is guilty of "over thinking" and "over complicate" rather than playing on instinct e.g. trying to scoop a ball in the 3rd over.

He doesn't open for Surrey in the CC because his technique simply isn't up to it but he is destructive at his best in T20. The 50 over format is the "half way house" and whether he can consistently do it remains to be seen.

The way Morgan was talking pre tournament they will stick with Roy for one more match at least. And the fact that they have that first win they can probably afford to so even if Bairstow must be wondering what he has to do to get into the side.