Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Advice re elderly care at home

Somewhat topically our Mum (90 in a couple of weeks) now needs continuous home care visits, following a short hospital stay. Initially this was provided by Greenwich Council, and I have to say we were all pleasantly surprised by how quickly they sprang into action and the consistency and pleasant professionalism of their support. However, as is apparently the practice they have now handed us over to a private sub-contractor, and the early indications are that they are not anywhere near as reliable.

Can anyone advise on our options here? How can we get the agency to improve (e.g. not forget to turn up) ? via Greenwich Council? Alternatively would it be better to seek out more reliable private provision? If so, any recommendations? She lives in Eltham.

Thanks all

Comments

• Options
    Hi Prague,

I cannot offer advice re the agency under performing however we have just placed my wife's elderly aunt (93) in a care home base in Hythe on the South coast and it is a minefield selecting the right home.

We viewed in excess of 15 homes and the difference in decor, staff attitude and cost was frightening.

It was a long haul but worth it as the end result has been good and she is happy. Be prepared for some eye watering monthly bills.

Good luck, I hope you find Mum a good one.
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    Can't help with daily visits but if it gets to the point where you need a live in carer, we used Choice Homecare in Lee for my gran and were happy with how things went (though I realise it depends on the carer you get, but the manager there is very helpful too).

Also my great aunt is currently in Fairmount care home in Mottingham, she's happy there and we couldn't be happier with how things are going. Used to be the cricketer WG Grace's house.
  • Options
    Richard, if you need any help drop me an email or give me a call, my father was in Eltham and we went through about 3 companies before we found a good one. None are perfect but I think over the 2-3 years I used them only once did someone not come (and they gave me a little notice), my father in the end had 3 visits a day.

http://www.crossroadscaresoutheastlondon.org.uk

Greenwich Council have about 6 staff, they will only provide for a short period after a hospital stay to get you home, believe they are all Nurses.
  • Options
    Going through he same thing with my 88 yr old mother. Quality of care seems very random and they dont always stick to the amount of time being paid for. You can change care agencies via social services if needed but no guarantee it will be better.
    We have considered private care through bluebird and/or evergreen. However, private is expensive and not guaranteed to be better.

Good luck.
  • Options
    I suspect that you will always have to be constantly vigilant and nagging with the council provider... that was the case with my (late) uncle in Islington. My own folks' experience with a private care firm was more positive so I guess you could conclude that you get what you pay (shed loads) for. I'd be inclined to try the nagging route to start with, if the care itself is good.
  • Options
    Hi Richard

If you have the time why not go direct to a support assistant/personal assistant?

You can employ them directly and pay them a better rate than they would get if they were employed by an agency and you don't have to pay the agencies fees. This will not only save you money but will probably get you more reliability and better outcomes for your mum.

Will your mum be getting a direct payment (DP)? If not she should be able to ask for this, it will give her the freedom to spend her money as she sees fit, otherwise there can be restraints on how much she can spend or what she spends it on. Of course if your mum is paying out of her own money she can do this anyway.

You might also want to get an independent broker in who can come in and work out a plan that is best for your mum. They will save your money if you are a private payer or make your money go further if you have a DP.

PM me if you want more info as this is something I am doing a lot of work on at the moment.

CA
  • Options
    We're in an almost identical situation, but we look after ma-in-law ourselves, by family rota.

If & when we can no longer cope we were going to use bluebird, as we'd heard good things about them.

http://www.bluebirdcare.co.uk/about-us/our-offices?page=1
  • Options
    Meanwhile, out in the depths of Kent, I have failed to get any care provider to venture to Hextable for my mum.
  • Options
    Hex said:

Meanwhile, out in the depths of Kent, I have failed to get any care provider to venture to Hextable for my mum.

It is a big problem with the current system Hex. Low pay rates make it really hard to recruit in remote or relatively wealthy areas, and people just don't want to make the journey from elsewhere.
  • Options

We're in an almost identical situation, but we look after ma-in-law ourselves, by family rota.

If & when we can no longer cope we were going to use bluebird, as we'd heard good things about them.

See my advice to PA before you consider an agency @Covered End .
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    As CA says your mum may be entitled to Attendance Allowance, which is something like £320, 4 weekly.
  • Options
    KCC 'failed' to find a provider that would take on my mum's package so handed me a list of 15 to 20 providers. Of those, only 8 had good or nearly good inspection reports from CQC. It was worrying how many had 3+ out of 5 aspects needing improvement.
  • Options
    Age UK offers good advice on Attendance Allowance http://www.ageuk.org.uk/money-matters/claiming-benefits/attendance-allowance/ and it is not means tested.
  • Options

Age UK offers good advice on Attendance Allowance http://www.ageuk.org.uk/money-matters/claiming-benefits/attendance-allowance/ and it is not means tested.

Correct, two different levels dependent on the care required, even in a care home you can still get this.
  • Options
    had experience of Greenwich councils care, where majority of it is subbed out they have little control forgot to turn up etc, my great aunt we ended up moving to a full time care home in sandwich in kent.
  • Options

had experience of Greenwich councils care, where majority of it is subbed out they have little control forgot to turn up etc, my great aunt we ended up moving to a full time care home in sandwich in kent.

We did the same, my mum is now in a home.
    When she was at home the carers ranged from excellent to indifferent. Their job was to give her a meal, a wash and any toileting needs. For this they were allocated 15 minutes and paid something like £3.50.

The home she is in now, while having some faults has been the much better option.
  • Options
    My mum had a flat in kidbrooke village. We went through a couple of agencies.

Know what the carer is employed to do. They can be variable as the work is very badly paid and conditions can be poor so motivation at times is low.

Get a good carer and stick with them but be prepared to change the individual or agency of they aren't doing what your mum needs.

If you need to investigate a home, even for day care then have a quiet work with someone who works for a local General Practice, they know or can find out the best ones. They vary enormously.

Good luck @Prague your mum is lucky to have a number of caring family members looking out for her, and of course the whole of CL.
  • Options

Use Bluebirdcare for my Mum in Greenwich at present. after a settling in period it works fine. they come in each day and have been generally reliable. They are more of a home help service, not medical. If you need someone to make sure you get up alright, make you basic breakfast and overseeing getting washed they are fine. Would not use them for more than this.
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    My mother pays for private care and there are some terrific carers who have become friends, but the service is unreliable. I have had to be called a few times because they (the company) have let her down - what if she couldn't get hold of me? - the alternative would be her losing her self respect and dignity - I won't go further but even when they cock up, they lie and don't give her any notice to sort out an alternative - it often has me making a race against time to get to her. I think the company is all about money and zero about care and we have reported them a few times. The last occasion she was let down was only two weeks ago on Saturday. At least my mum has me and my brother, but some people don't.

A lot of people don't know how bad things are! I suppose you can't blame them if they don't experience it, but it shames us. Having said that, I can only really speak for Hertfordshire - it may be better elsewhere!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

My mother pays for private care and there are some terrific carers who have become friends, but the service is unreliable. I have had to be called a few times because they (the company) have let her down - what if she couldn't get hold of me? - the alternative would be her losing her self respect and dignity - I won't go further but even when they cock up, they lie and don't give her any notice to sort out an alternative - it often has me making a race against time to get to her. I think the company is all about money and zero about care and we have reported them a few times. The last occasion she was let down was only two weeks ago on Saturday. At least my mum has me and my brother, but some people don't.

A lot of people don't know how bad things are! I suppose you can't blame them if they don't experience it, but it shames us. Having said that, I can only really speak for Hertfordshire - it may be better elsewhere!

That is the experience of a lot (possibly most) people @MuttleyCAFC. Also elderly and isolated people feel that they can't complain because they are worried that what little they have will be taken away.

When an individual finds their own support the satisfaction (of the customer with the carer) is massively increased, but this is not always easy to do and it is quite difficult for a carer to go it alone.

The money we spend on agencies is a national disgrace. Depending on where you live you are likely to spend at least 17 pounds an hour of which the carer can get as low as 7 (more in London for both). I am working on a system that eliminates the agency and puts the emphasis on customer and carer relationship.