Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Lee Rigby memorial vandalised

1235»

Comments

• Options

iainment said:

cafckev said:

se9addick said:

Most tragic murders have a plaque in the exact spot, we all know why there isn’t one and quite frankly it’s time we took political correctness and threw it in the bin, as can you imagine the uproar if stephen Lawrence didn’t have one and this is a similar racist crime, as they were racist they butchered a person in cold blood because of there perverse interpretation of a religion.

I'd prefer to let the family of Lee Rigby decide where the memorial should be than a bunch of far right Neanderthals like the EDL and Loyalist Channel.
    But it didn't just affect the Rigby family.

When this tragic incident took place, a lot of people witnessed it, a lot of people saw the thing unfold and were deeply affected by it. I know all the Ambulance crews who were involved, I know some of the Police involved.

The public would like a public place where they can visit, where they can pay their respect too him. Yes there is a memorial to Lee in the chapel but it isn't solely for him, it is dedicated to a lot of others too. It's also situated in a closed chapel that is locked up, so are you actually able to view it? Place flowers beside it?

It seems to me that all they are asking is for a place where those people can pay their respects to a fallen hero. I can't see much wrong with that.

Some people on the far right want to use Lee Right's death for political capital - they're just as scummy as other extremists. They all deserve to be condemned.

It must take a lot of wasted energy to be so hateful.....
    As far as I’m aware the “far right” haven’t tried to behead someone in the street, so no there not as bad. I want to see a memorial in place because I think it’s right if lees family wanted it.

cafckev said:

se9addick said:

Most tragic murders have a plaque in the exact spot, we all know why there isn’t one and quite frankly it’s time we took political correctness and threw it in the bin, as can you imagine the uproar if stephen Lawrence didn’t have one and this is a similar racist crime, as they were racist they butchered a person in cold blood because of there perverse interpretation of a religion.

I'd prefer to let the family of Lee Rigby decide where the memorial should be than a bunch of far right Neanderthals like the EDL and Loyalist Channel.
    But it didn't just affect the Rigby family.

When this tragic incident took place, a lot of people witnessed it, a lot of people saw the thing unfold and were deeply affected by it. I know all the Ambulance crews who were involved, I know some of the Police involved.

The public would like a public place where they can visit, where they can pay their respect too him. Yes there is a memorial to Lee in the chapel but it isn't solely for him, it is dedicated to a lot of others too. It's also situated in a closed chapel that is locked up, so are you actually able to view it? Place flowers beside it?

It seems to me that all they are asking is for a place where those people can pay their respects to a fallen hero. I can't see much wrong with that.

Some people on the far right want to use Lee Right's death for political capital - they're just as scummy as other extremists. They all deserve to be condemned.

It must take a lot of wasted energy to be so hateful.....
    As far as I’m aware the “far right” haven’t tried to behead someone in the street, so no there not as bad. I want to see a memorial in place because I think it’s right if lees family wanted it.
    Maybe not a beheading but have you already forgotten Jo Cox?
    Just to clarify a point of fact , obviously it would appear that Thomas Mair was right wing, and also mentally unstable. However, all the claims he was part of the Britain First movement are not fact. The reports that he shoute Britain First at the killing, was not what was said in court. In court it was claimed he called out.

“This is for Britain, Britain will always come first.”

Therefore attributing Jo Cox,s death to a right wing organization is unfair. It was the despicable act of a mentally unstable man. Not defending the right, just pointing out a fact.
    So, pretty much like the bastards who murdered Lee Rigby then? Not actually members of Al Qaeda or ISIS... Just inspired by the ideology
  • Options
    The CCTV in Well Hall Road which is solely to monitor the Lawrence plaque, has not been at all ineffective.
    Furthermore, Greenwich Borough police also have to attend the site at least twice a day, without fail. When doing so, the Officer must be seen on camera to leave his/her vehicle and approach the plaque on foot whilst updating the CAD room via radio.
    I believe that it’s the longest running CAD in Met history, as it is updated each time Police attend.
  • Options

The CCTV in Well Hall Road which is solely to monitor the Lawrence plaque, has not been at all ineffective.
    Furthermore, Greenwich Borough police also have to attend the site at least twice a day, without fail. When doing so, the Officer must be seen on camera to leave his/her vehicle and approach the plaque on foot whilst updating the CAD room via radio.
    I believe that it’s the longest running CAD in Met history, as it is updated each time Police attend.

Then I stand corrected for suggesting it had been largely ineffective.

It does though prove a point that a simple memorial to a murdered young man needs 24 hour surveillance to stop fucktards from vandalising it. I wonder if Greenwich Borough Police could do without it.

• Options
    McBobbin said:

There's another plaque for a murdered policeman called Jim Morrison near Aldwych. They aren't common but you get them. Not sure where I stand on this - I certainly don't think I'd want to see a marker where everyone gets murdered in London, it's a bit morbid. Same with roadside memorials for people killed in car accidents. Not for me to tell other people how to grieve I suppose.

I get the point that people want to use the death of Lee Rigby for their own ends, but that's going to happen anyway with such an emotive subject, particularly where people have such entrenched views. For me, the fact that Lee's family don't want a memorial on the spot, and there is a permanent memorial elsewhere is the important thing to be respected.

James was in my class at Primary School - a nice, gentle giant. I didn't know there was a plaque for him - I'll seek it out next time I'm down
  • Options
    addickson said:

McBobbin said:

There's another plaque for a murdered policeman called Jim Morrison near Aldwych. They aren't common but you get them. Not sure where I stand on this - I certainly don't think I'd want to see a marker where everyone gets murdered in London, it's a bit morbid. Same with roadside memorials for people killed in car accidents. Not for me to tell other people how to grieve I suppose.

I get the point that people want to use the death of Lee Rigby for their own ends, but that's going to happen anyway with such an emotive subject, particularly where people have such entrenched views. For me, the fact that Lee's family don't want a memorial on the spot, and there is a permanent memorial elsewhere is the important thing to be respected.

James was in my class at Primary School - a nice, gentle giant. I didn't know there was a plaque for him - I'll seek it out next time I'm down
    It's across the road from Somerset House if I remember. I had to look him up... Seems they never caught the killer, which is tragic
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    Love is the answer. More love less hate.

We all have to live together whether we like it or not.

• Options
    So, as part of my job I sometimes have to liase with Greenwich council operatives . This morning I did and after a gossip about the footy etc the subject of the flag removal came up.
    I was told the chap who is now in a safe house with his young family while the Police investigate didn't want to remove the flags but was told `they had to do it'.

I was also told that the Stephen Lawrence plaque is going to removed and replaced with a statue. True or not I have no idea.
  • Options

I was told the chap who is now in a safe house with his young family while the Police investigate didn't want to remove the flags but was told `they had to do it'.

This is absolutely disgusting, poor man.
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    I'm told there is an EDL rally/march/protest in Woolwich tonight. I'm guessing this has something to do Lee Rigby's memorial.
  • Options
    There is a council meeting tonight to discuss the issue.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited November 2018
    I understand that a memorial to Lee was placed in Woolwich last night. Anybody see it yet ? RIP Lee.
  • Options
    RIP Lee
  • Options
    Very poignant photo that Smithyboy.
  • Options
    edited November 2018