Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Lee Rigby memorial vandalised

Comments

• cafckev said:

se9addick said:

Most tragic murders have a plaque in the exact spot, we all know why there isn’t one and quite frankly it’s time we took political correctness and threw it in the bin, as can you imagine the uproar if stephen Lawrence didn’t have one and this is a similar racist crime, as they were racist they butchered a person in cold blood because of there perverse interpretation of a religion.

I'd prefer to let the family of Lee Rigby decide where the memorial should be than a bunch of far right Neanderthals like the EDL and Loyalist Channel.
    But it didn't just affect the Rigby family.

When this tragic incident took place, a lot of people witnessed it, a lot of people saw the thing unfold and were deeply affected by it. I know all the Ambulance crews who were involved, I know some of the Police involved.

The public would like a public place where they can visit, where they can pay their respect too him. Yes there is a memorial to Lee in the chapel but it isn't solely for him, it is dedicated to a lot of others too. It's also situated in a closed chapel that is locked up, so are you actually able to view it? Place flowers beside it?

It seems to me that all they are asking is for a place where those people can pay their respects to a fallen hero. I can't see much wrong with that.

Some people on the far right want to use Lee Right's death for political capital - they're just as scummy as other extremists. They all deserve to be condemned.

It must take a lot of wasted energy to be so hateful.....
    As far as I’m aware the “far right” haven’t tried to behead someone in the street, so no there not as bad. I want to see a memorial in place because I think it’s right if lees family wanted it.

cafckev said:

se9addick said:

Most tragic murders have a plaque in the exact spot, we all know why there isn’t one and quite frankly it’s time we took political correctness and threw it in the bin, as can you imagine the uproar if stephen Lawrence didn’t have one and this is a similar racist crime, as they were racist they butchered a person in cold blood because of there perverse interpretation of a religion.

I'd prefer to let the family of Lee Rigby decide where the memorial should be than a bunch of far right Neanderthals like the EDL and Loyalist Channel.

When this tragic incident took place, a lot of people witnessed it, a lot of people saw the thing unfold and were deeply affected by it. I know all the Ambulance crews who were involved, I know some of the Police involved.

The public would like a public place where they can visit, where they can pay their respect too him. Yes there is a memorial to Lee in the chapel but it isn't solely for him, it is dedicated to a lot of others too. It's also situated in a closed chapel that is locked up, so are you actually able to view it? Place flowers beside it?

It seems to me that all they are asking is for a place where those people can pay their respects to a fallen hero. I can't see much wrong with that.

Some people on the far right want to use Lee Right's death for political capital - they're just as scummy as other extremists. They all deserve to be condemned.

As far as I’m aware the “far right” haven’t tried to behead someone in the street, so no there not as bad. I want to see a memorial in place because I think it’s right if lees family wanted it.
    Maybe not a beheading but have you already forgotten Jo Cox?
  • iainment said:

cafckev said:

se9addick said:

cafckev said:

se9addick said:

not forgotten but neither have i forgotten.

Manchester arena bombing.
    London bridge attack
    Westminster attack
    July 7th bombings

personally i don't think stating that the edl are far right and scumbags and waving placards around saying so stops terrorism. neither are the far right to blame for the deaths in the attacks mentioned above.
  • Bizarre that people think there's patriotism in ignoring the wishes of a murdered British soldiers family, quite the opposite in my eyes.
  • I went past the site today and there are even more flags than before. I don't think this will be going away any time soon.
  • PopIcon said:

I went past the site today and there are even more flags than before. I don't think this will be going away any time soon.

Really? When I went past on Thurs there was just one flag, with lots of floral tributes. It looked lovely
  • se9addick said:

Bizarre that people think there's patriotism in ignoring the wishes of a murdered British soldiers family, quite the opposite in my eyes.

i think what people are pissed off about is that, we all know the reason why there's not a plaque in the spot, im not going to go into it because the usual mob on here will be getting all excited and facting me out.

if lees family have specifically said we don't want our son/husband/father remembered in the spot where he was killed then there shouldn't be flags etc.

i think a plaque would be suitable with a fencing around it.
  • se9addick said:

tbh when i suggested a permanent plaque in the spot in may 2017 you liked the comment i would take that as you agreed?.
  • Forgive me, but why is it so important that a memorial be on the EXACT SPOT of a murder?

And... I must be naive in that I don’t have a clue what this unspoken *real* reason is that there isn’t a memorial on the EXACT SPOT.

Feel like an alien trying to make sense of something I’ve never seen before

• And... I must be naive in that I don’t have a clue what this unspoken *real* reason is that there isn’t a memorial on the EXACT SPOT.

Because there is a very good chance it would be defaced
  • se9addick said:

tbh when i suggested a permanent plaque in the spot in may 2017 you liked the comment i would take that as you agreed?.
    Are you referring to this comment;

"i think what is worse is that a permanent memorial hasn't been put in place as the crime was some years ago" ?
  • Sponsored links:

• se9addick said:

Bizarre that people think there's patriotism in ignoring the wishes of a murdered British soldiers family, quite the opposite in my eyes.

Something like this you mean?

• Addickted said:

se9addick said:

Something like this you mean?

exactly that, would be tasteful and somewhere for those that want to visit, the laying of flags with football colours on i don't agree with get the thought is there but i'm not a big fan of promoting clubs etc, much like the fla marches whilst i agree that they are good and a well organised march i dont get why clubs have to be such a big part of it.

england games abroad clubs on flags is fine but memerials just doesnt sit that well with me unless it was someone associated with the club, for example pc keith palmer was a charlton fan and the flag the lads involved got made was a touching tribute.
  • Forgive me, but why is it so important that a memorial be on the EXACT SPOT of a murder?

And... I must be naive in that I don’t have a clue what this unspoken *real* reason is that there isn’t a memorial on the EXACT SPOT.

Feel like an alien trying to make sense of something I’ve never seen before

would be vandalized and would cause mass offence and quite rightly so by far right british people, the stephen lawrence memorial in Eltham has been covered numerous times in paint.

• And... I must be naive in that I don’t have a clue what this unspoken *real* reason is that there isn’t a memorial on the EXACT SPOT.

Exactly like the Stephen Lawrence pavement plaque has been defaced.

It’s a sad reality of our world but there are arseholes out there who see memorials as easy targets if it suits their twisted beliefs.

Again sadly. It’s better for all if any memorial is in a place that is easier to monitor and protect.

Really? Is that how it works.

Or maybe stick a CCTV on the new memorial, if one is ever placed on the spot
  • McBobbin said:

There's another plaque for a murdered policeman called Jim Morrison near Aldwych. They aren't common but you get them. Not sure where I stand on this - I certainly don't think I'd want to see a marker where everyone gets murdered in London, it's a bit morbid. Same with roadside memorials for people killed in car accidents. Not for me to tell other people how to grieve I suppose.

I get the point that people want to use the death of Lee Rigby for their own ends, but that's going to happen anyway with such an emotive subject, particularly where people have such entrenched views. For me, the fact that Lee's family don't want a memorial on the spot, and there is a permanent memorial elsewhere is the important thing to be respected.

I think if people are killed in service, or in Lee Rigby's case, because they are in the Armed Services or Emergency Services, a memorial is a good thing. Not getting involved with where Lee Rigby's one should be, although I like the idea of one like PC Fletcher's on the spot he was killed.

I also don't go along with the logic that a memorial should not being placed somewhere just in case someone wants to vandalise it.

It’s a sad reality of our world but there are arseholes out there who see memorials as easy targets if it suits their twisted beliefs.

Again sadly. It’s better for all if any memorial is in a place that is easier to monitor and protect.

There is a cctv camera at Stephen Lawrence’s plaque. It’s been largely ineffective.

• McBobbin said:

There's another plaque for a murdered policeman called Jim Morrison near Aldwych. They aren't common but you get them. Not sure where I stand on this - I certainly don't think I'd want to see a marker where everyone gets murdered in London, it's a bit morbid. Same with roadside memorials for people killed in car accidents. Not for me to tell other people how to grieve I suppose.

I get the point that people want to use the death of Lee Rigby for their own ends, but that's going to happen anyway with such an emotive subject, particularly where people have such entrenched views. For me, the fact that Lee's family don't want a memorial on the spot, and there is a permanent memorial elsewhere is the important thing to be respected.

I think if people are killed in service, or in Lee Rigby's case, because they are in the Armed Services or Emergency Services, a memorial is a good thing. Not getting involved with where Lee Rigby's one should be, although I like the idea of one like PC Fletcher's on the spot he was killed.

I also don't go along with the logic that a memorial should not being placed somewhere just in case someone wants to vandalise it.
    Yeah, if you take the "reductio ad absurdum" approach, there wouldn't even be gravestones in churches, which is clearly nonsense.
  • The Jo Cox memorial is in parliament, nothing at the place of the murder.

I'm guessing Greenwich wish they didn't have a Stephen Lawrence plaque with the amount of grief it's given them, but imagine the uproar if they tried to take it down? Perhaps this is a reason for the Lee Rigby memorial to be where it is?

The football team flags are pretty coarse, unlike the Union and England flags. Seems to be a bit of a PR move from fans.
  • Sponsored links:

There is a cctv camera at Stephen Lawrence’s plaque. It’s been largely ineffective.

I don't think it was working when paint was thrown over it or when the time it was struck with a hammer.....however once it was fixed I don't recall to many incidents occurring.
  • Why would anybody do that?

Sometimes I despair at humanity.
  • edited January 2018
    Addickted said:

Why would anybody do that?

Sometimes I despair at humanity.

God knows why, if memory serves me right the old plaque was replaced around the late 90's.

https://uk.search.yahoo.com/search?fr=mcafee&type=A211GB691&p=stephen+lawrence+plaque+vandalised

I don't think it was working when paint was thrown over it or when the time it was struck with a hammer.....however once it was fixed I don't recall to many incidents occurring.
    That’s the whole point though isn’t it. Sums up the debate. Why would anybody see it as acceptable to either throw paint or hit it with a hammer. It’s complete and utter scum of the earth and in this country we are blessed with plenty.

It’s why sadly it’s better to keep any memorial low profile and secure. That’s often not the actual site of the tragedy.

It caught the Asian lad who weed on it.
  • edited January 2018
    iainment said:

cafckev said:

se9addick said:

cafckev said:

se9addick said:

Just to clarify a point of fact , obviously it would appear that Thomas Mair was right wing, and also mentally unstable. However, all the claims he was part of the Britain First movement are not fact. The reports that he shoute Britain First at the killing, was not what was said in court. In court it was claimed he called out.

“This is for Britain, Britain will always come first.”

Therefore attributing Jo Cox,s death to a right wing organization is unfair. It was the despicable act of a mentally unstable man. Not defending the right, just pointing out a fact.
  • iainment said:

cafckev said:

se9addick said:

cafckev said:

se9addick said:

Just to clarify a point of fact , obviously it would appear that Thomas Mair was right wing, and also mentally unstable. However, all the claims he was part of the Britain First movement are not fact. The reports that he shoute Britain First at the killing, was not what was said in court. In court it was claimed he called out.

“This is for Britain, Britain will always come first.”

Therefore attributing Jo Cox,s death to a right wing organization is unfair. It was the despicable act of a mentally unstable man. Not defending the right, just pointing out a fact.
    Pretty sure there was evidence he had followed Britain First on social media and other far right groups...... am I wrong on his does anyone know ?
  • According to his Wikipedia "Mair had links to right-wing political groups including the National Front and the English Defence League; he had attended far-right gatherings and purchased far-right publications,[1][19][20][21] to some of which he had sent letters.[22][23][1] In his home were found Nazi regalia, far-right books,[17][24][24] and information on the construction of bombs.[1][21] He had searched the internet for information about the British National Party, apartheid, the Ku Klux Klan, prominent Jewish people, matricide,[17][24] white supremacism, Nazism, Waffen SS, Israel, public shootings, serial killers, William Hague, Ian Gow (another assassinated MP),[1] and Norwegian far-right terrorist Anders Behring Breivik (about whose case he collected newspaper clippings)." But yes, he had a history of mental health problems as well
  • So worth adding that Rigby's killers and the Westminster bridge bloke had mental health problems too. Nothing excuses what they did or the ideology behind it of course