Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Lee Bowyer

Comments

• Bowyer is unproven as a coach or assistant manager but I've got a feeling he will end up as our manager. Probably by Christmas with Roland's track record

Does he have any qualifications?
  • I'm interested to know where Steve Gallen fits into all of this. He's currently employed as our Head of Recruitment, but seems to have little or no background in scouting, compared with 20 years experience as a coach:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Gallen

He's also apparently just completed his Pro Licence:

https://www.londonnewsonline.co.uk/25898/millwall-boss-neil-harris-assistant-david-livemore-gain-uefa-pro-licences-course-liverpool-legend-charlton-recruitment-chief/

No mention of him in the Bowyer article, though, where Robinson refers to "me, Johnnie and Lee."

In many ways, Gallen looks like a better fit as an assistant manager, but I'm not sure we've had one of those for a while.
  • Chizz said:

Oh good. Another Lee Bowyer thread. Great. Can't get enough information on the horrible, nasty, spiteful, violent, thug.

The topics are clearly titled, you don't have to read it!
  • Guest on the Alan Brazil sports breakfast tomorrow morning.
  • Chizz said:

Bowyer is unproven as a coach or assistant manager but I've got a feeling he will end up as our manager. Probably by Christmas with Roland's track record

Understand he has a B licence.
  • He was very involved in Ireland. Barking instructions at the young midfielders of when to go and when to stay back. He did have a knack of being in the right place at the right time thus scoring many goals. He has played to a very high level with some extremely good footballers so I dare say he can't have got that far without picking up a few bits and bobs along the way.

Time will tell
  • Well said swisdom

Really happy with bowyer as a coach, loved him as a player although he obviously had his issues growing up

Him and JJ should get the best out of our midfielders,not a massive fan of JFC but think he will get better under those 2

• Well said swisdom

Really happy with bowyer as a coach, loved him as a player although he obviously had his issues growing up

Him and JJ should get the best out of our midfielders,not a massive fan of JFC but think he will get better under those 2

If anything, in terms of how they played the game, Bowyer and Jacko are a bit similar, both goal scoring midfielders when in their prime
  • Heard that Lee was on Talksport this morning. Anyone listen to it ?
  • Sponsored links:

• Chizz said:

Bowyer is unproven as a coach or assistant manager but I've got a feeling he will end up as our manager. Probably by Christmas with Roland's track record

More than you at a guess.
  • Heard that Lee was on Talksport this morning. Anyone listen to it ?

Link to the interview here
    .https://talksport.com/football/joe-hart-one-best-premier-league-transfer-deals-so-far-according-ex-west-ham-midfielder-lee
  • clive said:

Heard that Lee was on Talksport this morning. Anyone listen to it ?

Link to the interview here
    .https://talksport.com/football/joe-hart-one-best-premier-league-transfer-deals-so-far-according-ex-west-ham-midfielder-lee
    Thanks.
  • He is a winner no doubt about that came across well on the radio earlier, have no doubts at all that he will get our midfielders amongst the goals, shame he is a WHUFC fan though which came across time and time again.
  • Alan Brazil couldn't wait to talk about anything but Charlton.

Not a lot said by Bowyer really - just that the staff are excited to get the season underway as we look to be in good shape

Time will tell I guess
  • Well said swisdom

I really hope that he does well. I just can't imagine him communicating well
  • Swisdom said:

Alan Brazil couldn't wait to talk about anything but Charlton.

Not a lot said by Bowyer really - just that the staff are excited to get the season underway as we look to be in good shape

Time will tell I guess

I think two play-off defeats of his beloved Ipswich ensure that.
  • (From the Acrrington away post match thread)

So want to get excited about Bowyer as a manager, but we are still lacking the creativity we were last season, you can talk up players all you like but in the end they are what they are and we have Marshall playing instead of Ricky Holmes which apparently was his decision, and waiting for Fosu to come back fit - again. Then there is the substitutions or lack of which is more a concern. He talks a good game, is persuasive on signings, and seems more tactically aware than Gobbo and I guess he’s still learning too in the end.
  • "Learning too in the end" is what we should remember with Bowyer and Jackson. Hopefully they'll still be with us come the end of the season and we have had a reasonable season.

They could then build on this and hopefully be our next Curbishley and Gritt.
  • Sponsored links:

• I believe Bowyer will be the next Curbs, hopefully all the bollocks going on upstairs will end soon enough and he'll stay here, but if he does go, I've got a feeling he's going to do really well at management

"Learning too in the end" is what we should remember with Bowyer and Jackson. Hopefully they'll still be with us come the end of the season and we have had a reasonable season.

What has Bowyer actually done to suggest he is the next Curbishley?
  • Does that mean one of them will be sacked?
  • razil said:

(From the Acrrington away post match thread)

So want to get excited about Bowyer as a manager, but we are still lacking the creativity we were last season, you can talk up players all you like but in the end they are what they are and we have Marshall playing instead of Ricky Holmes which apparently was his decision, and waiting for Fosu to come back fit - again. Then there is the substitutions or lack of which is more a concern. He talks a good game, is persuasive on signings, and seems more tactically aware than Gobbo and I guess he’s still learning too in the end.

Being limited by his budget is a big factor for me. In 2011 Powell could go out and pay a fee for Dale Stephens to add creativity in the middle, and added Green as a different alternative to Wagstaff. Yann on a free made a huge difference as well, players like him won’t often come along at this level.

He was unlucky to lose JFC for the season. It seems he still wants to add a midfielder and/or winger/striker to the squad which will hopefully add more creativity to the squad. Fosu and Clarke returning will help with that as well. Then there’s players like Aribo, Morgan and Maloney he’ll be working to develop. We could do with Aribo adding more goals to his game.

With a bigger budget I think he could put together a nicely balanced squad. Unlike KR he appears to see you need a mix of creativity and physicality, and isn’t tied down to one formation.
  • maybe the players he has are just not as good as he was......he may be expecting them to pass or shoot in certain circumstances, as it would have been what he would have done. You cant polish a turd, as they say.
  • se9addick said:

I believe Bowyer will be the next Curbs, hopefully all the bollocks going on upstairs will end soon enough and he'll stay here, but if he does go, I've got a feeling he's going to do really well at management

"Learning too in the end" is what we should remember with Bowyer and Jackson. Hopefully they'll still be with us come the end of the season and we have had a reasonable season.

What has Bowyer actually done to suggest he is the next Curbishley?
    Hopefully the transformation when he took over suggests there is potential.
  • Bowyer is still the temporary replacement for a manager who left, joined another club and has left them. His temporary job bat Charlton has lasted longer than Robinson's permanent career at Oxford. Bizarre.

• Lee Bowyer's been Caretaker Manager longer than Karel Fraeye was Interim Manager.