Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Lee Bowyer

Comments

• Options
    JiMMy 85 said:

Chizz said:

Chizz said:

Oh good. Another Lee Bowyer thread. Great. Can't get enough information on the horrible, nasty, spiteful, violent, thug.

Hope you have never made any mistakes in life mate!
    I've never made "mistakes" on that violent, reprehensible scale.
    You've obviously never had to wait ten minutes for an apple pie.
    I know the feeling!:-)
  • Options
    Is he a reformed character? Or does nobody care?
  • Options
    Bowyer was certainly an excellent player, with decent CL experience, so IF he can actually coach and pass on some of knowledge he'd be an asset on that front.

It's a bit random as he's largely been out of the game for a few years, but has shown interest in coaching and seems to want to get his hands dirty
  • Options

Chizz said:

Oh good. Another Lee Bowyer thread. Great. Can't get enough information on the horrible, nasty, spiteful, violent, thug.

Man will always condemn in others that which he most fears in himself.
    I guess man will always flag a post he doesn't agree with. Right?
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:

Is he a reformed character? Or does nobody care?

I am more worried about what criteria he has as a coach to be considered for this role? or is it just so Robinson can look good to the kids who will in the side next season? Even if Bowyer is a born-again good bloke, I am unclear why he is suddenly the best No.2 coach we can get. I do hope this doesn't mean we lose the unmatched Congo Chris ...
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    Chizz said:

Chizz said:

I believe it's only the second flag I've given in 9 years, despite having read thousands of posts on CL that (in varying degrees) I disagree with.......you're really acting like a self righteous, judgemental knob if I may say so.
    I've met Lee on a number of occasions and certainly nowadays, he's nothing remotely like the person you are trying to portray.
    If he was, do you seriously think for one second that Charlton....(or any other club come to that), would countenance giving him a post of any description, let alone assistant manager.....of course not.
  • Options
    Chizz said:

The topics are clearly titled, you don't have to read it!
  • Options
    Strange but we started winning games when he got to sit in the dug out.
  • Options

Chizz said:

Chizz said:

I believe it's only the second flag I've given in 9 years, despite having read thousands of posts on CL that (in varying degrees) I disagree with.......you're really acting like a self righteous, judgemental knob if I may say so.
    I've met Lee on a number of occasions and certainly nowadays, he's nothing remotely like the person you are trying to portray.
    If he was, do you seriously think for one second that Charlton....(or any other club come to that), would countenance giving him a post of any description, let alone assistant manager.....of course not.
    Hahaha Charlton would put Herod in charge of the under 10s if it would save a couple of bob
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Bowyer scored hat trick in best charlton game I ever seen(5-4 away to wimbledon),will always be a charlton hero to me
  • Options

Bowyer scored hat trick in best charlton game I ever seen(5-4 away to wimbledon),will always be a charlton hero to me

Rob lee aside he's the best teenager I've ever seen in a Charlton shirt.
    Will always be a hero to me as well
  • Options

Chizz said:

Chizz said:

Hahaha Charlton would put Herod in charge of the under 10s if it would save a couple of bob
    Herod is dead and I doubt they will be able to find the body / ashes
  • Options

Funnily enough I'd say Mark Stuart was, but he did not kick on due to lifestyle issue.

For those of a younger disposition Mark Stuart scored our winning goal at Old Trafford.
  • Options

Chizz said:

Chizz said:

He was highly paid by Leeds during some very shady times. Charlton, when ran by people we respected way more than his current employers, avoided sacking him despite him smoking weed and smashing up McD's. The claim that the club wouldn't dare employ him if he was still an asshole is laughable to me.

That's not to say he hasn't changed - I wouldn't know either way. But nobody I know/ respect has convinced me that he has.
  • Options
    Kap10 said:

Funnily enough I'd say Mark Stuart was, but he did not kick on due to lifestyle issue.

For those of a younger disposition Mark Stuart scored our winning goal at Old Trafford.
    The Charlton manager at the time said of Mark Stuart that depending what path he chose to go he could end up at Barcelona or Bromley.
    Unfortunately he did I believe play for Bromley at some point.
    A total waste of his talent. Although not as good as Mark Stuart I can see similarities with Tony watt
  • Options
    I met Mark Stuart in the pub next door to Rochdale's ground, in our promotion season.

Really nice bloke. He's a fireman now (or was then).
  • Options
    I went to an away game @ Huddersfield Town in 1997 which we won 3-0 and Lee Bowyer with a Leeds team mate was sat in front of me,some Charlton fans got him to sign programmes which he was happy to do,he was rooting for a Charlton win and was well pleased when Johnny Robbo scored. Just saying.
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    JiMMy 85 said:

Chizz said:

Chizz said:

He was highly paid by Leeds during some very shady times. Charlton, when ran by people we respected way more than his current employers, avoided sacking him despite him smoking weed and smashing up McD's. The claim that the club wouldn't dare employ him if he was still an asshole is laughable to me.

That's not to say he hasn't changed - I wouldn't know either way. But nobody I know/ respect has convinced me that he has.
    Oh really.......and just what crime or misdemeanour has he committed in the last 21 years, just how much more time does he have to go on staying out of trouble to satisfy you and a few others around here?
    I'd say he's changed alright or are you dishing out life sentences nowadays for having a punch up in McDonalds 21 years ago, whist being a stupid thoughtless pissed up youth.
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    Since you are asking what crime or misdemeanour has he committed in the last 21 years -

Following an incident near a Leeds nightclub in January 2000, in which an Asian student suffered severe injuries, Bowyer and teammate Jonathan Woodgate were charged with causing grievous bodily harm with intent and affray.[11] An initial trial collapsed in April 2001 after an article in a Sunday newspaper,[12] and following a second trial, which ended in December 2001, Bowyer was cleared of both charges while Woodgate was convicted of affray and sentenced to community service.[13] Bowyer was generally recognised as playing some of the finest football of his career during this period[14] and would often go straight from court to play for Leeds.[15] In 2005, the player agreed a £170,000 out-of-court settlement of a civil action for damages brought by the victim and his brother, who had been less seriously hurt in the assault.[16]

In April 2005, Bowyer was in the media spotlight again after an on-pitch brawl with teammate Kieron Dyer in Newcastle United's Premiership match with Aston Villa. This resulted in a red card, plus an automatic three-game ban, for each player. The Football Association fined Bowyer £30,000 and imposed an additional three-game ban, and the club fined him six weeks' wages; Dyer was not fined as Bowyer was perceived to have thrown the first punch. In addition, Bowyer was charged by Northumbria Police in connection with the brawl with offences under section four of the Public Order Act. He pleaded guilty to the lesser charge of using threatening behaviour and was fined £600 and ordered to pay £1000 costs.[26]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lee_Bowyer

Personally, I'm neutral on Bowyer's appointment for the obvious conflicting reasons.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Since you are asking -

Following an incident near a Leeds nightclub in January 2000, in which an Asian student suffered severe injuries, Bowyer and teammate Jonathan Woodgate were charged with causing grievous bodily harm with intent and affray.[11] An initial trial collapsed in April 2001 after an article in a Sunday newspaper,[12] and following a second trial, which ended in December 2001, Bowyer was cleared of both charges while Woodgate was convicted of affray and sentenced to community service.[13] Bowyer was generally recognised as playing some of the finest football of his career during this period[14] and would often go straight from court to play for Leeds.[15] In 2005, the player agreed a £170,000 out-of-court settlement of a civil action for damages brought by the victim and his brother, who had been less seriously hurt in the assault.[16]

In April 2005, Bowyer was in the media spotlight again after an on-pitch brawl with teammate Kieron Dyer in Newcastle United's Premiership match with Aston Villa. This resulted in a red card, plus an automatic three-game ban, for each player. The Football Association fined Bowyer £30,000 and imposed an additional three-game ban, and the club fined him six weeks' wages; Dyer was not fined as Bowyer was perceived to have thrown the first punch. In addition, Bowyer was charged by Northumbria Police in connection with the brawl with offences under section four of the Public Order Act. He pleaded guilty to the lesser charge of using threatening behaviour and was fined £600 and ordered to pay £1000 costs.[26]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lee_Bowyer

2000, while unpleasant was 17 years ago

As for the 2005 incident, well the two legends in my user name did the same thing. That must make Bowyer proper Charlton I guess...
  • Options
    Personally I don't have an issue with the stuff that's gone on in the past, it was a long time ago and often people who have learnt from this kind of thing are much better role models. It's the same as schools paying tens of thousands for ex criminals to talk about the slippery slope into crime. We had a former drug dealer/gang crime guy who had done jail time for violent crimes and we had someone who killed someone whilst drink driving come in and talk to us. Kids relate to people who have had experiences and learnt from them. Bowyer can tell these kids about being a young footballer, suddenly getting loads of money and how to (or not to) deal with it.

Anyway. My actual point is I worry about the lack of experience on the coaching team. Karl has been coaching for a while but is still a pretty inexperienced manager. We have lost Barker and Nugent both had many years in the game and had managed clubs so wouldn't be afraid to challenge Karl. Also Clark who had worked his way up to the top level and had many years experience of coaching.

I love Jacko and I can see the benefits of having Lee on the staff. I just worry about the lack of experience (about 3 months between them). Does Lee have his badges yet? If they were sharing the role of first team coach whilst Jacko continues to play and Lee gets his badges, with a more experienced assistant alongside. That would make me feel more confident. I worry if either of then will be able to challenge Karl.
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    Chizz said:

Chizz said:

Didn't you once post you had forgiven or was going to forgive the person that killed your wife?

Or did I actually dream that?

If that was true are you still ready to write off Bowyer for misdemeanours in his past?

• Options
    If he is no good for chizz he can only be right for me
  • Options
    edited June 2017

Kap10 said:

The Charlton manager at the time said of Mark Stuart that depending what path he chose to go he could end up at Barcelona or Bromley.
    Unfortunately he did I believe play for Bromley at some point.
    A total waste of his talent. Although not as good as Mark Stuart I can see similarities with Tony watt
    I thought Stuart was a great player. I started going properly the year we left The Valley and IMO he was a different class. He also did well in the first division when we went up including, if I recall correctly, a decent performance in a 2 - 2 at Highbury. the night of Stamford bridge was the player of the year at The Valley Club I think, and had a drink with him. Asked him who he supported and he said "I'm not telling you or you'll beat me up". Given that I couldn't fight a wet fart I thought that was brilliant. The answer was QPR. Was gutted when we sold him even by that point he had demonstrated that he could blow very hot and cold.
  • Options
    Curb_It said:

Chizz said:

Chizz said:

Didn't you once post you had forgiven or was going to forgive the person that killed your wife?

Or did I actually dream that?

If that was true are you still ready to write off Bowyer for misdemeanours in his past?

I don't think there's much of a parallel.

Bowyer has demonstrated, several times, that he's a poor choice to influence impressionable footballers. I don't like him and I don't like some of the stupid decisions he's made. Does he need my forgiveness? Of course not. Is my opinion relevant? Not really. I'm just a Charlton fan who wants the best players, best coaches, best influencers and best owners possible. Hiring Bowyer makes that much less likely.

No, you didn't dream that.
  • Options
    Bowyer is unproven as a coach or assistant manager but I've got a feeling he will end up as our manager. Probably by Christmas with Roland's track record
  • Options
    Well if this should happen, to use that hackneyed phrase, at least he would be 'one of our own', like it or not.
  • Options
    Needs to be appointed as coach first of course.