Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Should We legalise Cannabis?

Comments

• Options
    edited May 2017
    Greenie said:

No.

We should just fix our society so people don't feel a need to get wasted on whatever their drug of choice is!

Where would you start though?
    We could start with you, Greenie<(;-)>
  • Options
    1StevieG said:

No.

We should just fix our society so people don't feel a need to get wasted on whatever their drug of choice is!

Yep, ban sugar, booze and fags.
    Not a bad place to start, 1stevieG
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    colthe3rd said:

Presumaby Sillav has never had a couple of drinks after a tough day.

I used to grow the stuff, when I was at college.

Funnily enough some coppers came round the flat once and on the way out, they noticed the plants and one said "they're lovely plants, my wife would love these, what are they"?

And all I could think of to say was, "Tomato plants", clearly they didn't know one plant from the next, luckily for me;)

I've had far too many drinks and drugs over my time and now clean and sober, 12 years last April.

While not necessarily a reformed character. I know I used drink and drugs to mask other things that I wasn't happy with, and yes, of course, that was my choice and personal to me.

But my original post was just merely saying, that our society, in many respects is broken or at least got a flat tyre and for some people who struggle with substance abuse,me, then that can be a reason to get wasted.

• Options

colthe3rd said:

Funnily enough some coppers came round the flat once and on the way out, they noticed the plants and one said "they're lovely plants, my wife would love these, what are they"?

And all I could think of to say was, "Tomato plants", clearly they didn't know one plant from the next, luckily for me;)

I've had far too many drinks and drugs over my time and now clean and sober, 12 years last April.

While not necessarily a reformed character. I know I used drink and drugs to mask other things that I wasn't happy with, and yes, of course, that was my choice and personal to me.

But my original post was just merely saying, that our society, in many respects is broken or at least got a flat tyre and for some people who struggle with substance abuse,me, then that can be a reason to get wasted.

They knew.
  • Options
    edited May 2017

Where would it be sold if it were to be legalised, serious question.

As a policy, how can a government be on the backs of fag comopanies and spend millions?? putting out anti smoking publicity and yet legalise smoking?

It would probably be largely sold on the internet. Otherwise the "out of sight" selling requirement would probably apply.

I agree that there is a risk of mixed messages in term of smoking cessation. It is already possible to buy cannabis in the form of vaping liquid, so that would be one big growth area. Also, although smoking is harmful, smoking tobacco products as they are currently made carries additional harms du to additives, though cannabis produced by existing commercial tobacco companies would probably be the same.

With regard to previous references to "gateway" drug use and mental health concerns:

The gateway drug theory has pretty much been discredited. People who go on to develop problems with their drug use tend to have underlying issues that make them vulnerable. Heroin users stick with heroin because they have found what they are looking for - they probably used cannabis at some point and may continue to do so, but cannabis doesn't lead to heroin any more than smoking cigarettes does other than the need to go to illicit sources to get it could expose you. The same applies to other drug use. Beer drinkers have found what they are looking for - they don't necessarily progress to vodka, but some do and some go on to develop problems as a result. But beer isn't a "gateway" to vodka.

There is reason to worry about the effect on young people who begin cannabis use early as it seems to affect the developing brain, and also impacts on personality development at a time when we are still beginning to find out who we are - the challenges that we need in the growing process lose significance. There's a lot to be said for finding creative ways of avoiding boredom rather than medicating for it, for instance. The jury is out on links to schizophrenia and personality disorders but there is evidence there.

Even more concerning is the emergence of synthetic cannabinoids which are far more harmful than organic cannabis. The physical and mental health harms from these compunds would make your hair stand on end. Working in the drug field I have seen "drug experienced" users collapse on the steps of the project after smoking a tiny amount of some of these, there have been a number of deaths and I have also seen people move from comparative stability to needing hospitsalisation for psychiatric reasons. Here's the important bit: THESE DRUGS WOULD NOT HAVE BEEN DEVELOPED IF CANNABIS HAD NOT BEEN TARGETED IN THE "WAR ON DRUGS" because there would not have been a market for them.

Legislation doesn't stop people using their drug of choice. Putting people in prison or fining them will not stop use. The only people who might stop using as a result are the people who don't have a problem with it. I have met a number of people who went into prison for petty offences as cannabis smokers and came out heroin addicts. We have had big legislation around these issues for years. The first drug control laws were introduced in the mid - late 1800s and they haven't worked yet.
    There is so much in that that I disagree with and that frightens me from a credibility point of view that I wouldn't know where to begin if I were to question any of it.

Let me just say that I find it worrying if someone that writes something like this actually works in the drug field - unless you are a drug dealer, of course.
    Worrying to you because?

What do you disagree with?

No I'm not a drug dealer. I do know what I am talking about. Disagree by all means even if you can't explain why. But snide comments about my credibility? Really?
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    Let's take it in small steps and decriminalise first but agree with people saying legalise and tax heavily. It's been shown to be working elsewhere... if you can cut through the American then this is pretty good video showing how backwards it is that cannabis is illegal in the first place. I think it's meant to be funny but the message is good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXPOw2unxy0
  • Options

colthe3rd said:

old time friend of mine used to grow greenhouses full of the stuff over nr Chelmsford .. he used to hang plastic tomatoes on the stems, small and green in spring and big red ones in summer .. he never got sussed .. mind you, his home grown was pretty mediocre stuff .. but then I was always more of a Hash Haze fan rather than a grazer in the green green grass
  • Options

colthe3rd said:

old time friend of mine used to grow greenhouses full of the stuff over nr Chelmsford .. he used to hang plastic tomatoes on the stems, small and green in spring and big red ones in summer .. he never got sussed .. mind you, his home grown was pretty mediocre stuff .. but then I was always more of a Hash Haze fan rather than a grazer in the green green grass
    even if i say so myself, mine was shit hot, we used to nearly burst from laughing so much!
  • Options
    Haha, those were the days, when smoking weed used to make you laugh rather than kong you out....

Mind you, do remember a friend while living in South Wales went to a friendly pharmacist who used to insist you did an eighth in a bucket bong with him before leaving....

Drive home was something else :(
  • Options

Dazzler21 said:

My Cousins both smoke weed... a lot.

They're both paranoid and bordering schizophrenic... their other brothers are pretty much fine and they both smoked at a younger age. They both managed to give it up without issue, the other two though are hooked and will never give it up.

Due to this unreliable split in outcomes. I just can't agree that it should be legalised.

This is a strong argument and i have suffered with non weed related mental health quite badly so can emphasise. I did spend a very short time in a mental health ward abour 5 years ago and met one man who was on a different planet due to acholol (lovely bloke and still shake his hand when i see him drinking on the street sadly) and another who looked like his arms had been bitten by 'sharks' due to the self harm caused by acholol. Yet achohol is legal, the fact that something can cause harm does not nesccerally mean it should not be legal. Mind you if we knew then what we know now cigerettes would never have been sold.
    I don't disagree on the dangers but cannabis being illegal doesn't seem to have had an impact in a positive sense in relation to the example you have given. Maybe legalizing it won't either, but it might! When something doesn't work, I think it is good to try something else.
    Im actually pro legalisation. Legalise it tax it plough the money into mental health. There will be people prone to mental health problems but for me this is no different to the few people that are orone to addiction witj achol.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Be very careful what you wish for people.

How long will it be before people are clamouring for the legalisation of the real problem drugs like Cake, Argue Barmies, Russle Dust, Joss Ackland's Spunky Backpack, Bromicde, Cool Thwax and Charlie, Ponce-on-the-Heath, Looney Toad Quack, Hattie Jacque's Pretentious Cheese Wog ?!?

You forgot Clarky Cats

I love Chris Morris too!
  • Options
    Definitely NO ....
  • Options
    The LibDems policy statement is a callously cynical bit of nonsense to attract any attention to their moribund campaign. They can safely spout such drivel from the absolute security of their zero chance of forming the next government. Aside from the specific problems associated with identifying which plants and cannabinoids could be reclassified, there are all the health issues linked to smoke inhalation. To be endorsing any kind of smoking is idiocy in its lowest form. Now who's turn is it to fetch the pizza and the hobnobs?
  • Options
    Sounds very similar to how it is legal in Amsterdam, apart from the fact you can take it home.

No idea how it's going to be policed with regards to selling it on to friends etc.
  • Options
    Ross said:

Sounds very similar to how it is legal in Amsterdam, apart from the fact you can take it home.

No idea how it's going to be policed with regards to selling it on to friends etc.

It probably won’t be.
  • Options
    If people want it, can they get it? If the answer is yes, then it makes sense to legalise and have more control over it! It is irrelevant what you think of it.
  • Options
    cannot stand the smell of it and saying that as a smoker of cigs actually put me off amsterdam
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    I say don’t legalise it for the simple reason that I can’t stand that sickly smell it produces. It’s bad enough having to put up tobacco smoke or horribly fruit smelling vapes but this will be much worse .

*note* didn’t see @PalaceHater post . Great minds think alike .
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Ross said:

It probably won’t be.
    It's legal to grow 4 plants and carry 30g, so far more like the American model.

There's literally zero need for reselling laws either if everyone is allowed to have it.

Regulated cannabis is a no brainer, if pubs sold alcohol by the pint.... but you didn't know if it was Stella or moonshine, you wouldn't be shocked when people had adverse effects.

• Options
    My mum mentioned this last night apparently they have legalized in Canada, she then went on to say that you can get cannabis oil which helps eczema / effectively clears it up. My mum is the most straight person , eg. doesn't really drink, would never take drugs and even she was mentioning about get someone to bring some back.

Interesting , i will need to look into it.
  • Options

My mum mentioned this last night apparently they have legalized in Canada, she then went on to say that you can get cannabis oil which helps eczema / effectively clears it up. My mum is the most straight person , eg. doesn't really drink, would never take drugs and even she was mentioning about get someone to bring some back.

Interesting , i will need to look into it.

My mum is the most strait edged person... diagnosed with cancer 2 months ago and is now looking to become a criminal to help with her pain and tumour size... which shouldn't have to be the case

Ps don't bring oil back as youl get knicked for trafficking.
  • Options
    .... also if there was no benefit to cannabis, Philip may wouldn't have shares in companies that sythetically make it.

https://www.rt.com/uk/429637-may-husband-capital-cannabis/
  • Options
    Is this what they mean by Canada plus plus plus?
  • Options

cannot stand the smell of it and saying that as a smoker of cigs actually put me off amsterdam

It's not all about you palarse.
  • Options
    Mum got stopped, but her comments that her son had been seizure free previous 300 days but as confiscated they had one.

Speaking to ITV's This Morning program on Tuesday, Charlotte Caldwell said that Billy had managed "just over 300 days, seizure-free" while taking Tilray; but had suffered his first seizure just after 1am on Tuesday after his medication was stopped at 3:30pm on Monday.

Accusing the Home Office of signing her son's death warrant by abruptly stopping access to the medication, Caldwell said: "No doctor in our country or in any country in the whole world who would do that."

The family have received support from pro-medicinal-cannabis MPs. Ronnie Cowan MP, vice-chairman of the all-party group on drug policy reform, said: "We should be asking: Is the UK government prioritizing the interests of 'big pharma' monopoly profits over the health and wellbeing of UK citizens?

Obviously i haven't really looked into it too much, but on that evidence alone surely they should allow for medical reasons.
  • Options
    Cannabis can have medical benefits but also has effects on mental health. Research suggests a link between cannabis and psychosis/schizophrenia.

If it's going to be used by people regardless of whether it's legal or not then legalising it at least allows it to be regulated and taxed.

Personally can't stand the stuff but it does seem to work for chronic pain relief.
  • Options
    you can get cannabis for the vapes i know someone that uses it for there arthritis in there knees.
  • Options

I say don’t legalise it for the simple reason that I can’t stand that sickly smell it produces. It’s bad enough having to put up tobacco smoke or horribly fruit smelling vapes but this will be much worse .

*note* didn’t see @PalaceHater post . Great minds think alike .

tbh im a smoker and think that the best thing they done was having the outside smoking rule, i never smoke indoors and even if i am somewhere where people are smoking indoors i don't like it, i even refrain from the north upper bogs.