Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Should We legalise Cannabis?

Comments

• Options
    My Cousins both smoke weed... a lot.

They're both paranoid and bordering schizophrenic... their other brothers are pretty much fine and they both smoked at a younger age. They both managed to give it up without issue, the other two though are hooked and will never give it up.

Due to this unreliable split in outcomes. I just can't agree that it should be legalised.
  • Options

Would imagine the makers of Chocolate Hob Nobs will be right behind the drive to legalise it.

Dorito's, Pringles, Sausage rolls... Pretty much all junk foods will fly off the shelves.
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    SDAddick said:

On a serious note, it is now legal in Oregon, where I live. California just voted to legalize it back in November (not sure when that takes effect). It's also legal in Washington state and Colorado, and I think there might have been a couple other states who legalized it back in November.

So full disclosure, despite growing up in Los Angeles, going to Berkeley, and now living in Oregon, I've never smoked pot, just not for me. But I am very much in favor of legalization, in large part because we have so many people in jail for low level drug offenses, and they are incredibly disproportionately people of color. This is the stuff people write books about, and given I don't know how applicable it is for the UK I'll lay off that.

So, as for what it's doing here, last year in Colorado, it seems the projections are for around $1billion in revenue, with around $200m in taxes accrued. That's pretty massive for the 21st largest state with a population of 5.5m. Washington state seems to be seeing roughly the same numbers, although it's a far smaller portion of their state's budget (keep in mind Washington state is home to Microsoft and Amazon, and Seattle is I think the fastest growing city in the country).

Now would be a good time for me to take the population of those states, compare them to the UK, and explain how much revenue you'd be likely to see......but I'm pretty lazy.

It's a lot of money that the states are bringing in, and this doesn't include savings on policing, judicial, and penitentiary costs associated with decriminalized drugs.

The big concern for me is the lack of long-term research on Marijuana and potential side/long-term effects. Because of silly drug laws over the past 50+ years, we don't have studies or scientific information that we really should. There are some studies that link marijuana and mental health issues. There seems to be some correlation (Harvard study below) between teens who smoke marijuana and the onset of Schizophrenia later in life. That said, it's unclear how much of that is the drug and how much could be pre-existing dormant or un-diagnosed conditions (NIH). There is also the possibility that marijuana is a form of self-medicating for those who suffer from such illnesses, further confusing cause and effect.

https://www.drugabuse.gov/publications/marijuana/there-link-between-marijuana-use-psychiatric-disorders

http://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/teens-who-smoke-pot-at-risk-for-later-schizophrenia-psychosis-201103071676

My personal feeling, for whatever it's worth, is to legalize, but also to regulate, monitor, study, and educate people. Decriminalizing something that has been illegal and a taboo for so long should be the beginning of the process, not the end of it.

Head of DOJ Jeff Sessions is keen to penalize marijuana smokers with the maximum sentences. I read that some states are setting up safe zones for heroin addicts to get their fix and use Marijuana as an exit drug to get addicts off the stuff. I wouldn't be surprised if Sessions has private prison money lining his pockets. I also know someone who smoked the stupid chemically infused stuff which eventually saw him take his own life because of mental health issues that were were probably made worse by the marijuana.
  • Options
    Chizz said:

I think there probably was a good reason to bring in a law criminalising the sale and use of cannabis.

I've never heard one.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

They're both paranoid and bordering schizophrenic... their other brothers are pretty much fine and they both smoked at a younger age. They both managed to give it up without issue, the other two though are hooked and will never give it up.

Due to this unreliable split in outcomes. I just can't agree that it should be legalised.

On the flipside, who knows what the hell they are smoking. A legal version in theory could be much better controlled and quality standards could be kept. Fairly sure a dealer doesn't give a fuck what strain it is, where it has come from or what other sort of chemicals it has been sprayed with.
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    Addicted said:

Dazzler21 said:

Surely the point to take from that story is that, as everyone seems capable of getting hold of it in seemly unlimited supply, would it not be better for the money to go to the public purse and not to criminals/gangs? At least then the funding may be there to help the two that cant stop?
    Ye but then a lot more people would smoke it... Rather than always thinking of money it would be good to consider the lives it ruins, relationships and pain it can cause to families. Why increase the amount of people open to this risk. Why is it always about money.
  • Options
    I've smoked skunk and agree it's a pretty devastating effect on mental health, it's like being clubbed round the head when you've smoked it. Then there's the nagging paranoia that you're dying of something and feel sick.

Which is why I'd support regulation. Some times I got lucky and got a dealer who also hated skunk and grew his own more mellow stuff which was lovely. But the stronger stuff gives the rest a bad name.

But, again, it's like saying we should criminalise alcohol because alcoholics are getting smashed on vodka every day and destroying their health.
  • Options
    dizzee said:

Addicted said:

Dazzler21 said:

Surely the point to take from that story is that, as everyone seems capable of getting hold of it in seemly unlimited supply, would it not be better for the money to go to the public purse and not to criminals/gangs? At least then the funding may be there to help the two that cant stop?
    Ye but then a lot more people would smoke it... Rather than always thinking of money it would be good to consider the lives it ruins, relationships and pain it can cause to families. Why increase the amount of people open to this risk. Why is it always about money.
    Would they ? I don't smoke it, none of my mates do and I don't think any of us would suddenly take it up just because it's become legal.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    dizzee said:

Addicted said:

Dazzler21 said:

It is currently about money. Money criminals make! If it was legalised it would be less attractive to some potentially new users! It is easy to get hold of so legalising it will remove teh market and give control. I would restrict those who can sell it to those the government deems to be responsible. People that use it will still use it whatever.
  • Options
    dizzee said:

Addicted said:

Dazzler21 said:

I'm not sure I'd agree that "a lot more" people would smoke it though. It's so readily available anyway, who currently would smoke or try but doesnt?

And it may ruin the odd relationship or family, but only when used in excess. Perhaps the additional funding would provide for enough education that the percentage users that would take it too far reduces? Difficult to predict.

I'm also not sure that you can class all cannabis as having the same impact. If we legalised certain strains for example, avoiding the heavier skunk in favor of thai or pollen. They are almost like separate drugs.
  • Options
    Could make watching Charlton a whole lot more relaxed and pleasurable
  • Options

Could make watching Charlton a whole lot more relaxed and pleasurable

......what? If the opposition smoke it maybe?!?
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

This is a strong argument and i have suffered with non weed related mental health quite badly so can emphasise. I did spend a very short time in a mental health ward abour 5 years ago and met one man who was on a different planet due to acholol (lovely bloke and still shake his hand when i see him drinking on the street sadly) and another who looked like his arms had been bitten by 'sharks' due to the self harm caused by acholol. Yet achohol is legal, the fact that something can cause harm does not nesccerally mean it should not be legal. Mind you if we knew then what we know now cigerettes would never have been sold.
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    I don't entirely disagree...
    I like a cheeky Mojito or a glass of wine, just like many others, would I be willing to have that made illegal purely because human's can't be trusted on it?

Yes. It causes injury and death to not only the irresponsible drinkers but also the people they come into contact with, whether it be fighting, raping, drink driving or whatever else...

Put the pitch forks down... I don't want it banned and it never would be.

Alcohol should be seen as a major advert as to why many people can't be trusted with other mind altering substances...

We can however limit these substances that cause people to act out of character or that make them act irresponsibly by not allowing more 'stuff' onto the streets legally.
  • Options
    Legalise it, tax the shit out of it and let me grow 1 plant. The only reason it's a gateway drug is because you come into contact with drug dealers (funny enough)
  • Options
    dizzee said:

Addicted said:

Dazzler21 said:

That's exactly why it should be properly regulated, sold by chemists and sold with a rundown on the associated risks and support services.

Right now, we leave it in the control of drug dealers.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Can see the argument - people will smoke it regardless of whether it's legal or not.
  • Options
    cabbles said:

IA said:

I believe all drugs should be legalised, regulated and sold in chemists. If you don't have a prescription you have to pay for it. Chemists should sit the customer down and explain the risks and advise on usage. Studies should be done to investigate effects and improve regulation.

If people don't want to become Amsterdam with drug tourism, there could be a requirement that a customer proves residence in the UK.

I'm a bit late to this one but they'll never legalise cocaine. Be handing massive power and money to those South American governments then. Be like the new gold rush/oil in the Middle East

The 2042 World Cup will be in Bolivia. You heard it here first.
  • Options
    IA said:

cabbles said:

IA said:

I believe all drugs should be legalised, regulated and sold in chemists. If you don't have a prescription you have to pay for it. Chemists should sit the customer down and explain the risks and advise on usage. Studies should be done to investigate effects and improve regulation.

If people don't want to become Amsterdam with drug tourism, there could be a requirement that a customer proves residence in the UK.

I'm a bit late to this one but they'll never legalise cocaine. Be handing massive power and money to those South American governments then. Be like the new gold rush/oil in the Middle East

Does cocaine counteract the effects of rarefied air?
  • Options
    Leuth said:

IA said:

cabbles said:

IA said:

Does cocaine counteract the effects of rarefied air?
    Well they offer you coca tea there to help with the altitude if that helps!
  • Options
    half the kick of smoking bob hope in my misspent youth was the fact that I was breaking the law .. skinning up whilst sitting on the back seats of the bus (In far off days when smoking on the top deck was OK) whilst your 'partners in crime' kept watch was a right laugh .. young man's rebellion .. a few of my old buddies did time for 'cannabis offences', blokes who really would not hurt fly .. ridiculous really but there you go.

IF cannabis was legalised, presumably it would be a govt. monopoly and all the dirty dealer tricks, spraying the bush with harmful chemicals etc. would be a thing of the past .. provided of course that the price was right .. trouble is that rebellious youth then might consider puff too tame and turn to coke, smack and other dangerous commodities which were still illegal
  • Options
    See no reason why we shouldn't legalise, regulate and tax cannabis. woild hopefully allow people to buy cannabis that is not grown too quickly with the help o chemical additives that screw people up.

As to cocaine, Bolivians and Peruvians indigenous peoples call it 'white man's ruin' and wouldn't touch the stuff. They do however chew the coca leaf, often with ash or other alkaline substrate which has a much milder effect.

It does increase the heart rate and blood flow which has a beneficial effect at altitude. It also decreases the need for food and sleep.

Coca tea also helps.
  • Options

half the kick of smoking bob hope in my misspent youth was the fact that I was breaking the law .. skinning up whilst sitting on the back seats of the bus (In far off days when smoking on the top deck was OK) whilst your 'partners in crime' kept watch was a right laugh .. young man's rebellion .. a few of my old buddies did time for 'cannabis offences', blokes who really would not hurt fly .. ridiculous really but there you go.

IF cannabis was legalised, presumably it would be a govt. monopoly and all the dirty dealer tricks, spraying the bush with harmful chemicals etc. would be a thing of the past .. provided of course that the price was right .. trouble is that rebellious youth then might consider puff too tame and turn to coke, smack and other dangerous commodities which were still illegal

I think there is a lot of truth in that. Legalising cannabis might actually lead to a reduction in use. Kids are also snubbing alcohol. They are all hooked on their phones and social media
  • Options
    It has to be pointed out that cannabis use is often a victimless crime. Hydroponic kits are so easy to buy and set up that often you'll find someone will take the risk at a small set up and then just sell the resulting crop to his mates. I know when I was smoking I knew at least two people who operated like this. As long as the grower isn't nicking electric then where really is the harm in that?
  • Options

Can see the argument - people will smoke it regardless of whether it's legal or not.

My point is this - put a proper sentence on cannabis possession, let's say a year in prison and £2,000 fine and people will think twice about doing it.

At the moment, you can walk around the street smoking a joint, stinking of cannabis and nobody bats an eyelid. You can get caught with cannabis and the police give you a 'cannabis warning' which aren't recorded on any central system and so are totally ineffective at deterring drug possession!

Put a proper sentence on it and actually convict people - then offenders will think twice!
    Prison service is too overcrowded for us to start throwing cannabis users in there. Fine is a good idea

Read a column by a chap who lost his son to cannabis in the standard about a week ago. This only happened recently but the chap echoed a lot of what is on here re: strength/strain of the drug

Increased psychosis etc and took his own life in the end