Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Should We legalise Cannabis?

Comments

• Options
    PopIcon said:

Carter said:

Yes. I don't use the stuff but I don't understand how something that grows naturally can be illegal.

Drugs will be legalised in my lifetime I am confident of that.

Cocaine on the other hand should remain off limits, turns all users into chatterbox arseholes

Cocaine grows naturally, as does opium and a whole heap of other drugs.

A very good friend of mine works in a mental heath unit. She said by far the biggest cause of onset was cannabis, particularly stronger strains such as skunk. For that reason I'd say no.
    Slighlty different in that cocaine and heroin are processed. But certainly, cannabis isn't good for you. It can certainly be legalised and discouraged at the same time without it being a mixed message
  • Options
    edited May 2017

dizzee said:

dizzee said:

High taxes = dealers will still exist to undercut

Mental health = does no favours

Dealers = will look to push harder drugs to sell

Other issues = kids always look to the next thing to be a bit rebellious so we'll then have every 14 year old in the country sniffing coke instead of smoking weed and will lead to many addictions.

Some of that is exposure though. If the kids never meet the dealers then how do they push the harder stuff.

The Netherlands has bucked the trend in western countries in heroin use. It has mainly been attributed to the 'soft drugs' and 'hard drugs' policy.
    Well how do kids meet the dealers nowadays for cannabis. It'll be the same as now but for harder drugs.
    I'm glad you accept that there will always be a level of drug use. The evidence is that kids don't just start trying crack or heroin, they start with gate way drugs like cannabis. So why not try to separate them from the very people that also sell the harder stuff. Why not offer them a safe product and use the revenues for treatment, education and to go after the harder stuff? Instead we currently use funds from the public purse to ineffectively fight increasingly wealthy criminals.

This argument has already happened in prohibition America.
    Can I just check something? Are we saying we want cannabis legalised and sold over the counter to children?

I only ask as that is how your post reads and, despite not being all that bothered in what they do, I would have to say no to selling drugs to children.
  • Options
    McBobbin said:

PopIcon said:

Carter said:

Yes. I don't use the stuff but I don't understand how something that grows naturally can be illegal.

Cocaine on the other hand should remain off limits, turns all users into chatterbox arseholes

A very good friend of mine works in a mental heath unit. She said by far the biggest cause of onset was cannabis, particularly stronger strains such as skunk. For that reason I'd say no.
    Slighlty different in that cocaine and heroin are processed. But certainly, cannabis isn't good for you. It can certainly be legalised and discouraged at the same time without it being a mixed message
    Not true, one of the two best pain receptors in the body. Used in treatment for MS and to control Parkinson's. Just like poppy plant is quite useful when it comes to human physiology.
  • Options
    edited May 2017

dizzee said:

dizzee said:

High taxes = dealers will still exist to undercut

Mental health = does no favours

Dealers = will look to push harder drugs to sell

Other issues = kids always look to the next thing to be a bit rebellious so we'll then have every 14 year old in the country sniffing coke instead of smoking weed and will lead to many addictions.

Some of that is exposure though. If the kids never meet the dealers then how do they push the harder stuff.

The Netherlands has bucked the trend in western countries in heroin use. It has mainly been attributed to the 'soft drugs' and 'hard drugs' policy.
    Well how do kids meet the dealers nowadays for cannabis. It'll be the same as now but for harder drugs.
    I'm glad you accept that there will always be a level of drug use. The evidence is that kids don't just start trying crack or heroin, they start with gate way drugs like cannabis. So why not try to separate them from the very people that also sell the harder stuff. Why not offer them a safe product and use the revenues for treatment, education and to go after the harder stuff? Instead we currently use funds from the public purse to ineffectively fight increasingly wealthy criminals.

This argument has already happened in prohibition America.
    Can I just check something? Are we saying we want cannabis legalised and sold over the counter to children?

I only ask as that is how your post reads.
    Certainly not mate, my grammar is awful. Equally, as I get older 'kids' becomes an increasingly encompasing term. I meant drug users. I think it is going to happen either way legal or not.
  • Options
    PopIcon said:

Carter said:

Then outlaw skunk and the stronger strands through regulation?

All the arguments to keep cannabis illegal are the exact same arguements to make alcohol illegal - which would be complete nonsense.

If you still buy cannabis from a dealer when you can buy it in a shop you're an idiot. Much like if you bought beer from a dealer. They'd probably sell it to you, but it would be at a mark up that they'd get from a shop anyway
  • Options

Nobody is prosecuted for possession anyway so it is basically legal.

Lot's of people are prosecuted for possession. Most are either 'with intent' or as a secondary prosecution to back up the case for a more serious offence. You're right that there are comparatively few cases just of possession purely for personal use. Perhaps this seeming lack of interest by police/CPS should tell us something?

I think we should go the other way and properly enforce our drug laws. Prevention (by deterrent) is better than the cure.

But we aren't preventing. We can't even prevent drug use in gaols. If we don't have the resources to control the drug consumption of 85,000 inmates all locked up in convenient out of the way places how can we possibly hope to control the consumption of a population of 65,000,000, the vast majority of whom are completely at liberty to go wherever they choose. You'd need a North Korean style crack down on movement to have the slightest hope - then imagine the complaints about people's liberties you'd get. Harbouring any hope of controlling drugs through prevention really is just pissing in the wind.

I also don't think the effects of cannabis are really known. I know this is tangible but whenever gun crimes happen in America, or terrorists attack people, we're always told that they were habitual users of cannabis.

I think more is known than we probably think. The confused and mixed opinions held by the public don't necessarily compare to what is known by experts. Where there is stuff that isn't known, how better to find out? By legalising it so that proper controlled studies can take place or continuing to outlaw it, so that the only source material is clandestine. If you really want to know more about something, then enabling the conditions where the subject matter is completely open is a no brainer.
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    How many people are arrested for using it? Anybody can get hold of it if they really want to. Makes sense to legalise it, and maybe some of the money made on it could be spent on drug awareness! I have never taken it and hope my son never does, but it being illegal can be an attraction for some! I think it is best if fewer people use it, but I don't think making it legal will do anything other than take money from criminals!
  • Options

McBobbin said:

PopIcon said:

Carter said:

Not true, one of the two best pain receptors in the body. Used in treatment for MS and to control Parkinson's. Just like poppy plant is quite useful when it comes to human physiology.
    Ok, diamorphine is very useful as an anaesthetic, amphetamines can be used to treat ADHD... I'm not saying there aren't certain clinical uses of cannabis, but I what meant to say is that recreational use of cannabis probably doesn't do the average person any good, and is probably harmful to a degree. Same with recreational use of heroin and speed.
  • Options
    McBobbin said:

McBobbin said:

PopIcon said:

Carter said:

Ok, diamorphine is very useful as an anaesthetic, amphetamines can be used to treat ADHD... I'm not saying there aren't certain clinical uses of cannabis, but I what meant to say is that recreational use of cannabis probably doesn't do the average person any good, and is probably harmful to a degree. Same with recreational use of heroin and speed.
    Lol heroin and speed are far worse for you.

I'd say similar to alcohol, if you're getting pissed every day it won't do your body any good, ditto getting stoned.
  • Options

McBobbin said:

McBobbin said:

PopIcon said:

Carter said:

Lol heroin and speed are far worse for you.

I'd say similar to alcohol, if you're getting pissed every day it won't do your body any good, ditto getting stoned.
    That's perfectly true. It's a question of degree.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    I wonder where cream cakes are on that chart? They can cause terrible harm to a small proportion of people who can't control their habit, yet they are completely fetishised by the media.
  • Options
    Stig said:

I wonder where cream cakes are on that chart? They can cause terrible harm to a small proportion of people who can't control their habit, yet they are completely fetishised by the media.

Stoners are in double trouble then.....
  • Options
    since the taxes on cigarettes have gone sky high, i haven't bought a packet of uk cigarettes since the start of the year fortunately i've managed to get people going abroad to bring me some back, if the price difference wasn't so high i wouldn't bother but for example i got 800 cigarettes at £2.17 per 20 current cost on the high steet £10.15. just over £300 in saving, the same thing would happen with weed the government would go ridiculously expensive and as a natural product dealers would just sell the strong stuff still or sell it cheaper.
  • Options
    McBobbin, my Cream Cake comment was largely tongue in cheek (though it is a huge problem for a small minority). I'm with you on probably bad/legalize.
  • Options
    I imagine that age will finally bring about a change.

Already many of our leaders and decision makers come from a generation where cannabis use was common albeit not as universal as some people would like to think.

But at present there are still many older voters who were never part of the swinging sixties etc and never used or approved of illegal drugs. And as we know this age group votes in higher numbers than younger voters. Maybe because the kids are stoned out of their minds ; - 0

When the "pot" smokers are in their dotage maybe things will change. It's not clear yet if it's a big vote winner but would be a vote loser among older and more conservative with a small c voters.

I think we have seen that change already with the votes in the US. There is a big enough pro vote to swing it their way in the state by state votes

The States is, as ever, not the same as the UK, but we often look to changes there and accept them more willingly than changes in Holland or Portugal.

The states locks up hundreds of thousands of people for minor drug dealing and possession which costs them a fortune but also feeds into their law and order agenda. They also have a much bigger and louder christian voter block. But those states voted to de-criminalise and control and are reaping low crime costs and higher income.

What we don't know yet is if there are other impacts on mental and physical health, social behaviour, anti-social behaviour, use of other drugs, etc

My issue is that legalising cannabis in the UK doesn't prevent the issue of people over using the drug and would lead to people smoking it even more openly. OK, the same can be said for drink and fags but does that make it right or desirable? All the proper control, proper quality, reduction in petty crime, redirection of police resources arguments make sense to me.

I'd much rather it was overground and controlled and taxed rather than underground and run by crooks but should the state just say "people do it so let's make it legal?" Should we then legalise prostitution as people do that? Legalise hard drugs as people use them?

I really don't know how I would vote if there was a referendum tomorrow.

As ever never simple or easy as lots of known and unforeseen consequences IMO.

• Options

Nobody is prosecuted for possession anyway so it is basically legal.

I think we should go the other way and properly enforce our drug laws. Prevention (by deterrent) is better than the cure.

I also don't think the effects of cannabis are really known. I know this is tangible but whenever gun crimes happen in America, or terrorists attack people, we're always told that they were habitual users of cannabis.

It's a no from me, as the disadvantages heavily outweigh the advantages.

That's just not accurate. There are countless studies that show deterrence doesn't fulfill its purpose in punishment, whereas rehabilitation programmes reduce recidivism. They don't hit the populist buttons that being seen to be tough on crime do and people often get upset at the idea of a criminal being given support but they are far less likely to re-offend
  • Options
    McBobbin said:

McBobbin said:

PopIcon said:

Carter said:

You forgot alcohol and tobacco.

• Options
    edited May 2017

Already many of our leaders and decision makers come from a generation where cannabis use was common albeit not as universal as some people would like to think.

But at present there are still many older voters who were never part of the swinging sixties etc and never used or approved of illegal drugs. And as we know this age group votes in higher numbers than younger voters. Maybe because the kids are stoned out of their minds ; - 0

When the "pot" smokers are in their dotage maybe things will change. It's not clear yet if it's a big vote winner but would be a vote loser among older and more conservative with a small c voters.

I think we have seen that change already with the votes in the US. There is a big enough pro vote to swing it their way in the state by state votes

The States is, as ever, not the same as the UK, but we often look to changes there and accept them more willingly than changes in Holland or Portugal.

The states locks up hundreds of thousands of people for minor drug dealing and possession which costs them a fortune but also feeds into their law and order agenda. They also have a much bigger and louder christian voter block. But those states voted to de-criminalise and control and are reaping low crime costs and higher income.

What we don't know yet is if there are other impacts on mental and physical health, social behaviour, anti-social behaviour, use of other drugs, etc

My issue is that legalising cannabis in the UK doesn't prevent the issue of people over using the drug and would lead to people smoking it even more openly. OK, the same can be said for drink and fags but does that make it right or desirable? All the proper control, proper quality, reduction in petty crime, redirection of police resources arguments make sense to me.

I'd much rather it was overground and controlled and taxed rather than underground and run by crooks but should the state just say "people do it so let's make it legal?" Should we then legalise prostitution as people do that? Legalise hard drugs as people use them?

Remain Henners. ;0)

• Options
    I've got a rule I apply whenever I am thinking about whether a law should be changed. I apply two tests. First, I ask myself "was the law brought in for good reason?" and second "are there compelling reasons to change the law?"

I think there probably was a good reason to bring in a law criminalising the sale and use of cannabis. However, I think there is also a compelling reason for ending the ban in an appropriate way, ie raising significant amount of revenue for the Treasury.

So I would be for an ending to the ban; and, as long as the proposal would be to tax sales, enforce quality control and limit the extent or range of drugs legalised, I would be all for it.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

McBobbin said:

McBobbin said:

PopIcon said:

Carter said:

You forgot alcohol and tobacco.

Ffs... Nicotine may potentially have some clinical use as treatment for Alzheimer's, and ethanol can be used as an anaesthetic or to treat methanol poisoning
  • Options

Part of the problem is that most people combine it with tobacco and introduce loads of carcinogens. Times have moved on Henners, you need to get yourself a vaporiser.
  • Options

Part of the problem is that most people combine it with tobacco and introduce loads of carcinogens. Times have moved on Henners, you need to get yourself a vaporiser.
    Err? I don't use it.
  • Options
    well it might as well be legal ..if you want cannabis you can get it

probably like anything thats habit forming ..good in small doses but very bad in big ones

id certainly legalise it as it can have so many medicinal properties ..as people have said it might create more income for the exchequer
  • Options

Err? I don't use it.
    Sorry, still haven't worked out how to do a smiley face. It was your use of "pot" smokers, I couldn't resist.
  • Options

Slippery slope? We're already well down that when the two most harmful recreational drugs in our society are both legal. Sell it. Tax it. Invest in treatment and stop this ridiculous failed "war on drugs".

This. There will be people prone to mental illness just like there are people prone to cancer from cigerettes. If it was legalised it couls be controlled and we would not have the supersteong versions or dealers poushing people onto stronger drugs. Some american states have made a fortune in tax revenue id rather the state take the money then a shady or not so shady dealer
  • Options
    For me, many of the arguments for legalisation are flawed and contradictory. For example:-

1) We could raise significant tax revenue.
    2) Everyone who wants to use already does; legalisation wouldn't encourage new users.

For me, these two statements can't both be true. Unfortunately, in the minds of many people (particularly younger, more impressionable people), legal = safe. I've seen this first hand with a friend of mine who took legal highs and told me "it must be safe because it's legal". She stopped after a couple of widely reported tragic deaths related to the same substance.

In addition, the fact that usage is illegal will be putting a lot of people off. I know it's often argued that it doesn't, but the statistics on this just don't stack up. The NHS estimates that prevalence of cannabis usage amongst adults is 6.5%. Usage is also on the decline, having come down from 8.7% a decade ago. Compare this to the usage levels of legal drugs such as tobacco (17.5%) and alcohol (58% in any given week). Tobacco usage has in itself declined massively following legal restrictions being put in place (e.g. ban on smoking in public places, advertising bans), and legalisation of cannabis would send completely the opposite message.

I'd be interesting to see statistics for usage before and after legalisation in places where this has occurred, if anyone has any?

3) Prevention doesn't work.

This is debatable (see above), but even if true is no argument whatsoever for legalisation. Otherwise, we might as well legalise everything for speeding to murder.

Finally, whenever this argument comes up, I'm always amazed by the number of people who don't use cannabis themselves, but are in support of legalisation (you know, for a friend...) Pointing no fingers of course! ;)
  • Options

Err? I don't use it.
    Sorry, still haven't worked out how to do a smiley face. It was your use of "pot" smokers, I couldn't resist.
    in brackets because it was a joke about what it used to be called.
  • Options
    IA said:

I believe all drugs should be legalised, regulated and sold in chemists. If you don't have a prescription you have to pay for it. Chemists should sit the customer down and explain the risks and advise on usage. Studies should be done to investigate effects and improve regulation.

If people don't want to become Amsterdam with drug tourism, there could be a requirement that a customer proves residence in the UK.

I'm a bit late to this one but they'll never legalise cocaine. Be handing massive power and money to those South American governments then. Be like the new gold rush/oil in the Middle East