Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Vinyl Records (Different subject)

I keep trying to throw out my Vinyl records but each time I go to do so, I bottle it.

It's ridiculous really, I never play them, as I don't have anything to play them on and even if I did, I'd doubt I'd play them. They're all scratched to some degree.

They all date from the 60's, 70's and a few 80's. I can't imagine they're worth anything?

Anyone else facing the same dilemma and found a solution, because they're taking up space!

Comments

• Same problem but just can't bring myself to get rid of them.
  • I have about 1500 Vinyl 12" in the loft (a few 7's and LP's), like you I have often thought of throwing them but they feel a part of me, memories and all that over quite a short time period, 86-92 or thereabouts. I may actually get a player to crack them out again.

Also be careful what you throw if you do, I actually sold some, mostly duplicate Stone Roses one's I had about 5-6 years ago before they reformed, made over £2k!
  • You could try selling them cheap on Discogs, some may go.
  • Got all my vinyl in the loft but haven't, and won't, get rid of it despite getting rid of my last record deck over 10 years ago. The reason: A friend of mine sold his and was all very smug about it until he got the vinyl bug again and spent many times what he'd originally made trying to replace it all.
  • I did consider buying this, so I could transfer them to my desk top but not convinced the quality would be up to much.

https://www.johnlewis.com/crosley-collegiate-usb-turntable/p1797265?colour=Cream

I tried using a device for my cassettes but the quality was pretty awful.
  • I've got all mine. Never play them, but I couldn't throw them out. Same as my 30 year collection of Charlton programmes.
  • Talal said:

You could try selling them cheap on Discogs, some may go.

I'll look into that, thanks.
  • I've got all mine. Never play them, but I couldn't throw them out. Same as my 30 year collection of Charlton programmes.

I hang my head in shame, I threw mine out. Wasn't feeling very Charlton at the time!
  • Sold the rare stuff (Velvets, NY Dolls) Beano's in Croydon and sold to @Badger

Maybe wish I'd kept one or two but just taking up space.

Need to get rid of loads of books too.
  • Loads of vinyl in the loft, been selling off some original Smiths stuff, had loads of Elvis back in the 90's but the ex wife gave then away to her brother when we split, my only solace was that they went to another elvis fan.
  • Sponsored links:

• Vinyl is the format that refuses to die! It's back - you can buy it in Sainsbury's. I've kept mine and the turntable to play it on. I'm delighted to see it making a comeback.

If you are thinking of selling, now is a good time, as the comeback may be short-lived. But there is as much chance that it won't be, in which case the only way is up (anyone got that on vinyl?).

I discovered, through years of collecting, that yer Beatles, Stones, Elvis, are not as valuable as people thing, as they sold in their millions. The records that do fetch money are any by the top artists that, for whatever reason, were not sold in their millions or are in some way different - miss-print on sleeve, first pressing, that sort of thing. Then you have records which:
    - feature certain artists when they were unknown,
    or
    - are rare records within a particular market - e.g. rare punk records or rare Motown

Since the advent of digital media, to be valuable, records have to be immaculate - younger collectors will not put up with less than 100%

Right, got to go - need to put on another one of my anoraks and put this one in the wash.
  • DA9 said:

Loads of vinyl in the loft, been selling off some original Smiths stuff, had loads of Elvis back in the 90's but the ex wife gave then away to her brother when we split, my only solace was that they went to another elvis fan.

I loved Costello too
  • Saga Lout said:

If you are thinking of selling, now is a good time, as the comeback may be short-lived. But there is as much chance that it won't be, in which case the only way is up (anyone got that on vinyl?).

I've got it in the loft somewhere.

Also from around that era I have a scratched copy of Fairground Attraction's Perfect that gets partway through the song before sticking on 'It's go to be-e-e-e-e-e-e-e per...It's got to be-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-e per."

I remember having been to Boots in Bromley of all places (when they used to sell singles & albums) one Saturday morning and on the packed 227 on the way home I was stood by the doors and as they swung open the new album I'd just bought got trapped and shattered. It was as though the whole bus knew exactly what had just happened and I was so embarrassed I got off the next stop and walked the rest of the way home.
  • I've just got into collecting/buying records/vinyls and I'm 20, so my 'collection' is paltry.

So if any of you above need to get rid of any for space etc, then send me an inbox and I might be interested!

Cheers.
  • Ive been buying Vinyl since it began to be fashionable again. I really hate downloads as you dont get a cover etc but acknowledge that its convenient. Vinyl sounds so much better than a cd......so, Its vinyl for me when its available. I still have all my old vinyl from the 70's through to the early 90's and they all get played regularly.
  • TEL said:

Ive been buying Vinyl since it began to be fashionable again. I really hate downloads as you dont get a cover etc but acknowledge that its convenient. Vinyl sounds so much better than a cd......so, Its vinyl for me when its available. I still have all my old vinyl from the 70's through to the early 90's and they all get played regularly.

I have had 6 different CD's of Never Mind The Bollocks, none of them play anymore, yet my original vinyl copy, bought by me in 77, still plays, even if a bit scratched.
  • edited May 2017
    Vinyl is what the cool kids are buying. If they're mostly 60s, 70s and 80s then you've probably got some gems in the collection that are worth a few bob.
  • I did consider buying this, so I could transfer them to my desk top but not convinced the quality would be up to much.

https://www.johnlewis.com/crosley-collegiate-usb-turntable/p1797265?colour=Cream

I tried using a device for my cassettes but the quality was pretty awful.

I wouldn't waste my time with the J Lewis thing looks more of a retro talking point & don't worry about the sound quality. I do believe you can get decent USB turntables but do a little research rather than buying any old department store rubbish. Personally I play my vinyl on my Technics 1210, with a cd writer connected to the amp. Maybe a little long winded but possibly (almost definitely) better quality.
  • Thinking of buying a retro style music system that has a turntable, cd, cassette player & usb port in one. I have loads of vinyl (singles & LP's) that I bought from the late 70's until the late 80's, when I then started buying CD's - recently moved & when unpacking left them downstairs in a pile under the stairs.

Never going to throw them out.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited May 2017
    Saga Lout said:

Vinyl is the format that refuses to die! It's back - you can buy it in Sainsbury's. I've kept mine and the turntable to play it on. I'm delighted to see it making a comeback.

I discovered, through years of collecting, that yer Beatles, Stones, Elvis, are not as valuable as people thing, as they sold in their millions. The records that do fetch money are any by the top artists that, for whatever reason, were not sold in their millions or are in some way different - miss-print on sleeve, first pressing, that sort of thing. Then you have records which:
    or
    - are rare records within a particular market - e.g. rare punk records or rare Motown

Since the advent of digital media, to be valuable, records have to be immaculate - younger collectors will not put up with less than 100%

Right, got to go - need to put on another one of my anoraks and put this one in the wash.

Vinyl will never die, at least from the collecting point of view. There is still a circle of people (mainly in the States) chasing early 1900 blues records. Northern Soul collecting has never been so popular. In the so called heyday you had thousands collecting in this country. You now have multi thousands all over the world buying.
    Obviously the Beatles Stones whoever who had hit after hit are practically worthless. You'll get the occasional item from the well known groups that will be worth money as you say, uk demo copies will nearly always be worth more than the issue no matter who it is & yes any odddity, mis print on label, even the wrong song playing on either side because of some malfunction at the pressing plant will all add to the value.
    If you want to go back to the 60s there were so many records being released in the main it was the tried & trusted bands beatles stones etc who all made the charts whereas there were brilliant records released by lesser knowns that never made it for whatever reason. These are the ones that are worth money.

Totally disagree with" to be valuable, records have to be immaculate - younger collectors will not put up with less than 100%" While we would all like our records to be immaculate often it just isn't possible.
    Going back to the Northern soul thing + the 60s so much released & only a certain amount can be hits thing, while you can still get hundreds mint/ex items of the easier to find stuff sometimes if you have been after a rarity for a number of years & one turns up you have a choice, go for that less than immaculate copy (& we're talking 50+ year old 45s) or risk never getting the chance again. For example 2 years ago a copy of Gwen Owens Just say you're wanted & needed Velgo w/d with a totally shagged label & only vg vinyl sold on ebay for $2,827 Most issues (which are rare themselves) are well known to have a fault which results in the record jumping. So do you wait for another demo in immaculate condition & probably pay double that value or jump in & buy for half price a copy that crackles a bit ? Or how about an even rarer item THE TOMANGOE'S I Really Love You WASHPAN which was VG+ & went for $7,078 ? Crazy money but if there's only a few known copies of an item, you really want it & you have the money, then you have to go for it when it's there. A crackle here & there on a 50 year old record is unfortunate but not totally unexpected really. You have to understand in the 60s a lot of local independent record labels were basically one man bands & could only get say 200 copies pressed up (& I know this for a fact) in the hope of getting some airplay & being picked up by a national label for release. Most of course sunk with out trace & over time copies get thrown away, broken etc & mainly forgotten ........... or at least until enterprising DJs / record dealers started going to the States looking for unknowns....but thats another story & like yours my anorak needs a rest :wink:
  • Vinyl is what the cool kids are buying. If they're mostly 60s, 70s and 80s then you've probably got some gems in the collection that are worth a few bob.

That's right, the stuff from the 50s on the other hand however isn't worth a light. It's just taking up space, so if you have any sense you might as well give them to me or @DA9, we might, well... recycle them into trendy drinks coasters or something... :wink:
  • I wont get rid of mine, even though am now in a tiny flat with no room for them. Just can't part with them.
  • I sold mine on e bay. 1960s sell others not so good.
    Must be in good condition, especially the sleeves with posters etc.
    On the actual vinyl outside the label are numbers and letters, these tell you the pressing and effect the value. This must be quoted.
  • Vinyl is what the cool kids are buying. If they're mostly 60s, 70s and 80s then you've probably got some gems in the collection that are worth a few bob.

That's right, the stuff from the 50s on the other hand however isn't worth a light. It's just taking up space, so if you have any sense you might as well give them to me or @DA9, we might, well... recycle them into trendy drinks coasters or something... :wink:
    The voice of reason
  • Saga Lout said:

Vinyl is the format that refuses to die! It's back - you can buy it in Sainsbury's. I've kept mine and the turntable to play it on. I'm delighted to see it making a comeback.

or

Vinyl will never die, at least from the collecting point of view. There is still a circle of people (mainly in the States) chasing early 1900 blues records. Northern Soul collecting has never been so popular. In the so called heyday you had thousands collecting in this country. You now have multi thousands all over the world buying.
    Obviously the Beatles Stones whoever who had hit after hit are practically worthless. You'll get the occasional item from the well known groups that will be worth money as you say, uk demo copies will nearly always be worth more than the issue no matter who it is & yes any odddity, mis print on label, even the wrong song playing on either side because of some malfunction at the pressing plant will all add to the value.
    If you want to go back to the 60s there were so many records being released in the main it was the tried & trusted bands beatles stones etc who all made the charts whereas there were brilliant records released by lesser knowns that never made it for whatever reason. These are the ones that are worth money.

Totally disagree with" to be valuable, records have to be immaculate - younger collectors will not put up with less than 100%" While we would all like our records to be immaculate often it just isn't possible.
    Going back to the Northern soul thing + the 60s so much released & only a certain amount can be hits thing, while you can still get hundreds mint/ex items of the easier to find stuff sometimes if you have been after a rarity for a number of years & one turns up you have a choice, go for that less than immaculate copy (& we're talking 50+ year old 45s) or risk never getting the chance again. For example 2 years ago a copy of Gwen Owens Just say you're wanted & needed Velgo w/d with a totally shagged label & only vg vinyl sold on ebay for $2,827 Most issues (which are rare themselves) are well known to have a fault which results in the record jumping. So do you wait for another demo in immaculate condition & probably pay double that value or jump in & buy for half price a copy that crackles a bit ? Or how about an even rarer item THE TOMANGOE'S I Really Love You WASHPAN which was VG+ & went for $7,078 ? Crazy money but if there's only a few known copies of an item, you really want it & you have the money, then you have to go for it when it's there. A crackle here & there on a 50 year old record is unfortunate but not totally unexpected really. You have to understand in the 60s a lot of local independent record labels were basically one man bands & could only get say 200 copies pressed up (& I know this for a fact) in the hope of getting some airplay & being picked up by a national label for release. Most of course sunk with out trace & over time copies get thrown away, broken etc & mainly forgotten ........... or at least until enterprising DJs / record dealers started going to the States looking for unknowns....but thats another story & like yours my anorak needs a rest :wink:
    I'm sorry you "totally disagree" with me! I don't "totally disagree" with you, in fact I would say you are right, in the circumstances you outline, where a record is ultra rare then condition may be less important, but for the less rare stuff condition is vital. You do give me hope that in among the 4,500 (approx) singles clogging up various spaces in my house is a single in shit condition that is worth 5 grand. The problem is a) finding it and b) recognising it!
  • I wont get rid of mine, even though am now in a tiny flat with no room for them. Just can't part with them.

Same here, we moved about twenty years ago for work reasons and a big mix of records went in the loft, another move is on the horizon and I bet they come for the ride.
  • I film my vinyl collection, not sure what's worse, the fact I film them or the fact that people watch it!!
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOi4WBz-LCYJ4dl8dOvqGXg

Still got loads to upload though, barely started.

So this record Elvis cut for his mum at Sun in about 1953 isn't worth keeping?

Just as well I'm going to the dump today where it can join that one of Bowie in a dress and the Beatles in butchers coats. Sick.
  • I've gone the other way and stopped buying vinyl. Have gotten sick of too many poor pressings nowadays, can't be bothered with it anymore.