Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

dilemma: your boss is a twat..

Your boss gives you a mixed review.

He's a complete arse wipe, but the CEO (your ex boss) is a great bloke who you would put your head in the oven for.

As part of one of these 360 degree review thingys you submit a response to the review putting your case, to the CEO.

However do you follow up and tell the CEO what you think of your boss informally, or do you bite your lip and carry on?

Comments

• Ask ketters coz his boss told him he has a bad attitude yesterday! LMFAO!
  • If the CEO is such a great bloke and would reciprocate the head cooking act for, then leave it at that, at least for now, he'll know what you have done and he'll need time to take what action he needs/wants/ feels he ought to.
  • I would suggest saying nothing will get you no where. Say something but constructive critisism ?
  • what's the phrase?

" a sqeeky wheel is the one that get's the oil"

But, you have said, albeit in writing, what you feel, so i think hang on for a while
  • Bite your lip, you've put it in writing he'll have read it and take note of it. Following up with a verbal moan to him just make you come across a bit petty
  • Playing devil's advocate was the mixed review unfair or unjustified and what evidence have you got to prove that? Cos he's an arsewipe doesn't make his review wrong and I'd expect that a CEO would ask for some evidence of why you are unhappy beyond him being a tosser.

If you think it was unreasonable tell your boss (not the CEO) that you are unhappy and can he tell you what the appeals procedure is. He'll either ask you what's the problem (gives you chance to change the review) or give you the appeals procedure (gives you permission to have a moan officially).

Do things by the book before you go to the CEO as he shouldn't undermine his own managers by listening to you.
  • edited May 2007
    Well the review response didn't really cover the guys total ineptitude as a man manager...

:)

Also because the CEO guy is my boss' boss, the process is that he gets the response first - you may have a point though.

And yes a catalogue of evidence is available in both cases.
  • A new boss of mine as part of a getting me "on side" chat, asked me to speak to a colleague who was a mate, who had worked with him before he became my boss, to obtain reassurance as what he was like to work with.

A week or so later, we were on our way to a business meeting in the Isle of Man and were in the departure lounge. He asked me if I had spoken to my mate.

"Yes", I said

"What did he say?" He asked

"Well he said he liked you" I said

"is that all?" he replied

"Oh he did say you were as slippery as an eel in a bucket of snot!!"

I left the job soon after.
  • Hard one this.

I've been in a similar situation. A few years ago I was on a very stressful contract - working to an extremely tight deadline where, basically, if the project wasn't delivered according to schedule the company I worked for would have gone under. My immediate boss was an absolute prick - he had no responsibility other than to marshal the engineering force, but I was the technical lead and basically did all his work for him. Whether it was the fact that I'd only been on the project two weeks before being promoted from an engineering team leader to technical lead and usurped his authority in one fell swoop i don't know, but he made it his sole aim in life to make my life and, consequently, the lives of all the engineers I had working for me (about 120 altogether) a complete misery. About once a week I had to restrain people from coming into the office and chinning him - physically on two occasions. The project manager, however, was an absolute fucking diamond - he was a Manc but you could never hope to meet a better bloke - or work for one.

In the end, I bit my tongue, but on a couple of occasions I nearly lost it. When he left, he said he was going to some top dollar job, but ended up doing sod all for months - so I guess word got around that he was an arsehole. Strangely enough, he later ended up working for the same project manager at a totally different place - I guess he must have seen something in him that i didn't!

I found it a bit awkward - its weird to feel like you would walk through walls backwards for someone and trust them with every aspect oif your working relationship, but be so baffled as to why they let an obvious tard stick around...
  • simple answer I guess is they don't see that side of them, still if you complain it may just add to the pile of other complaints he might get