Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Fans United 08/02/1997

Brighton have produced a brilliant programme for their last home game against Bristol City before joining the Showbiz league, which my daughter found when sweeping the streets of Brighton (along with the usual vomit, condoms, needles etc).

Of interest to us was the considerable support we gave them at their great Fans United protest day, when thousands of us travelled to give them our support as they battled the Club's appalling owners, who had sold their ground to property developers. There was representation from just about every Club in the country and many clubs abroad, but nobody got anywhere near matching our support. (Partly, perhaps, because we had no game, Brighton is a fun place, and also nice and near).

They were about 12 or 13 points behind the second lowest team in the bottom league, and almost guaranteed to be relegated out of the Football League, as well as losing their ground. In fact, in an even worse situation than we find ourselves in today. (Will we ever soar to the top, Brighton-style?)

Inspired by their new Manager, Charlton legend Steve Gritt, and his assistant, ex-Charlton keeper Jeff Wood they beat Hartlepool Utd 5-0 and after winning home game after home and collecting three or four points away, they saved themselves from leaving the League. The rest is history.

Only real problem I have is, we don't get a mention. Liverpool, Everton, Man Utd and City, Celtic and Rangers, clubs from all over Europe are included, but not us.

I reckon we had three or four thousand there, anybody got any better idea? And, more crucially, should they be our inspiration? And would their fans help us?

Comments

• Three or four thousand? Admittedly I wasn't there but I thought it was a very creditable couple of hundred.
  • Brighton fans have and are helping us.
  • Brighton fans recently donated to the protest fund. But three or thousand? Assuming you meant hundred.
  • Tramp said:

I reckon we had three or four thousand there

All i can say is thank goodness away attendances are made official now
  • I was there. Good day. Real brotherhood of fans. I don't know the numbers but there were loads of Charlton there as, if my memory is correct, we didn't have a game that weekend. The return to the Valley was only 5 years before this game and there was a lot of empathy among Charlton supporters for Brighton's plight.
  • I think we outnumbered the Brighton fans