Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Cover to Cover: Let's Work/Stick Together - Canned Heat v Bryan Ferry

Comments

• Options
    As a suggestion for a future round: Human Nature, as done by:

1) Youngblood Brass Band; or
    2) Vijay Iyer Trio
  • Options
    You must know "On the road again" by Canned Heat ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRKNw477onU
  • Options
    PaddyP17 said:

2) Vijay Iyer Trio

No Jazz
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:

Loved Virginia Plane/Pyjamarama is one of the great double A sides.

It wasn't originally. Pyjamarama was the follow-up single to Virginia Plain.
    I have both. A great one-two to make their mark on the single chart.
    I believe they slapped them together as a double-A on re-release some years later.
  • Options

PaddyP17 said:

2) Vijay Iyer Trio

No Jazz
    Why?
  • Options
    PaddyP17 said:

PaddyP17 said:

2) Vijay Iyer Trio

No Jazz
    Why?
    Because I don't like jazz
  • Options
    Love Roxy Music, Ferry on his own not so much but Canned Heat wins this by a distance.
  • Options

PaddyP17 said:

PaddyP17 said:

2) Vijay Iyer Trio

No Jazz
    Why?
    I'd really appreciate the chance to maybe change your mind/offer an alternate perspective to what sort of jazz you may be familiar with if you like! My usual go-to is Strasbourg St Denis, by Roy Hargrove. Hope it's accessible.
  • Options
    PaddyP17 said:

PaddyP17 said:

PaddyP17 said:

2) Vijay Iyer Trio

No Jazz
    Why?
    I'd really appreciate the chance to maybe change your mind/offer an alternate perspective to what sort of jazz you may be familiar with if you like! My usual go-to is Strasbourg St Denis, by Roy Hargrove. Hope it's accessible.
    Thanks but no thanks.

• Options
    edited May 2017

JamesSeed said:

Loved Virginia Plane/Pyjamarama is one of the great double A sides.

It wasn't originally. Pyjamarama was the follow-up single to Virginia Plain.
    I have both. A great one-two to make their mark on the single chart.
    I believe they slapped them together as a double-A on re-release some years later.
    That's right, originally it had an instrumental B side. I bought the single and it had Pyjamerama on the B side though. It wasn't years later though, actually not long after I think. Will look it up in my RC Price Guide.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Greenie said:

Astounded what one or two people are saying about Brian Ferry.......he's one of the good guys,he's a polite respectful classy fella, well educated too(not that that necessarily makes him a decent person mind you)......can't see for one minute what there is to dislike about him other than he can appear to be a little aloof at times.
    Greenie your talking nonsense matey.....do you or anyone you know, know him?
    I know a few people who have worked with him over the years and have never heard a bad word said about the man.
    Incidentally......I like both versions.

OK to clarify, I can't stand Ferry or Poxy Music's music, it's too avant garde for me, I'm sure old Brian is kind to furry animals, but his music and vocal are pony. It's just my opinion and if you say he's a decent fella, fair enough mate.
    Definitely not kind to all furry animals. He supports hunting.
  • Options

PaddyP17 said:

PaddyP17 said:

PaddyP17 said:

2) Vijay Iyer Trio

No Jazz
    Why?
    Thanks but no thanks.

@PaddyP17 I managed to listed to the first version for 27 seconds.

Confirmed everything I feel and know. Jazz is pretentious, undancable, mind numbing musical masturbation.
  • Options

PaddyP17 said:

PaddyP17 said:

PaddyP17 said:

2) Vijay Iyer Trio

No Jazz
    Why?
    Thanks but no thanks.

Confirmed everything I feel and know. Jazz is pretentious, undancable, mind numbing musical masturbation.
    I had look/listen and I enjoyed it, Im not really a Jazz fan, but enjoyed this.....I also enjoyed this comment:-

'That awesome moment where a piano transcends timbre boundaries and sounds like a guitar'
  • Options
    Greenie said:

PaddyP17 said:

PaddyP17 said:

PaddyP17 said:

2) Vijay Iyer Trio

No Jazz
    Why?
    Thanks but no thanks.

I had look/listen and I enjoyed it, Im not really a Jazz fan, but enjoyed this.....I also enjoyed this comment:-

'That awesome moment where a piano transcends timbre boundaries and sounds like a guitar'
    I said it was pretentious.
  • Options

PaddyP17 said:

PaddyP17 said:

PaddyP17 said:

2) Vijay Iyer Trio

No Jazz
    Why?
    Thanks but no thanks.

I'm really sorry you feel that way, and even more sorry that you feel the need to be quite so disparaging about something you don't like.
  • Options
    PaddyP17 said:

PaddyP17 said:

PaddyP17 said:

PaddyP17 said:

2) Vijay Iyer Trio

No Jazz
    Why?
    Thanks but no thanks.

I'm really sorry you feel that way, and even more sorry that you feel the need to be quite so disparaging about something you don't like.
    I did try and be polite and say I didn't like jazz but you wanted to "offer an alternate perspective" and "change my mind". Maybe it was you who was being "disparaging" in ignoring what I'd said.
  • Options

PaddyP17 said:

PaddyP17 said:

PaddyP17 said:

PaddyP17 said:

2) Vijay Iyer Trio

No Jazz
    Why?
    Thanks but no thanks.

I did try and be polite and say I didn't like jazz but you wanted to "offer an alternate perspective" and "change my mind". Maybe it was you who was being "disparaging" in ignoring what I'd said.
    Here are my exact* words:

"I'd really appreciate the chance to maybe change your mind/offer an alternate perspective to the* sort of jazz you may be familiar with if you like!"

[*changed one word so it fits better grammatically]

If that came off as disparaging, then I can only apologise. My intention was to offer something you'd probably not heard before, and indeed, fair play, you gave it a listen.

You then essentially insulted my taste wholesale by calling an entire genre "mind numbing musical masturbation". Perhaps I'm in a one man minority here, but that seemed a little harsh.
  • Options
    PaddyP17 said:

PaddyP17 said:

PaddyP17 said:

PaddyP17 said:

PaddyP17 said:

2) Vijay Iyer Trio

No Jazz
    Why?
    Thanks but no thanks.

"I'd really appreciate the chance to maybe change your mind/offer an alternate perspective to the* sort of jazz you may be familiar with if you like!"

If that came off as disparaging, then I can only apologise. My intention was to offer something you'd probably not heard before, and indeed, fair play, you gave it a listen.

You then essentially insulted my taste wholesale by calling an entire genre "mind numbing musical masturbation". Perhaps I'm in a one man minority here, but that seemed a little harsh.
    No, insulting my taste is what you did when you very patronisingly tried to educate me about jazz. I've listened to jazz, i don't like jazz, i told you I didn't like jazz but just like a jazz fan you knew better and we're going to change my mind with an alternate perspective.
  • Options
    The question on everyones lips is 'what other music is good to wank to'?*

I think we need to be told.

*FWIW - I dont think Im up for Speed Metal at my age.......
  • Options

PaddyP17 said:

PaddyP17 said:

PaddyP17 said:

PaddyP17 said:

PaddyP17 said:

2) Vijay Iyer Trio

No Jazz
    Why?
    Thanks but no thanks.

No, insulting my taste is what you did when you very patronisingly tried to educate me about jazz. I've listened to jazz, i don't like jazz, i told you I didn't like jazz but just like a jazz fan you knew better and we're going to change my mind with an alternate perspective.
    Insult your taste?! Get real. I was offering a complementary piece of music that you may or may not have been into. To not enjoy it is fair enough, to call it "musical masturbation" is not. I also don't know what else you listen to - and frankly I don't care, because if you enjoy a certain style of music, that's all that matters. I was hoping there'd be some open-mindedness. After all, I come to these threads to listen to something new.

Educate you? No, I offered one track. An education would be linking my dissertation and relevant material, and force-feeding that to you. Or bombarding you with "BUT MILES DAVIS!!! CHARLIE PARKER!!!" etc etc.

Believe it or not, jazz isn't exclusively what I listen to. Good music is good music, no matter what style. There exists a huge amount of bad jazz, too.

I didn't intend to be patronising. Nor did I ever once claim I knew better. And "just like a jazz fan" - you mean, just like a fan of pretty much *any* genre? Nor did I think "yeah, this will DEFINITELY change some random bloke on the internet's mind". Did I hope it would? Of course. It'd be great if I could share something with someone, and they enjoyed it too.

But we disagree, and that's fine. Being rude about it is not. (Well, to me, at least, but to each their own)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Midnight at the oasis?
  • Options
    Ha, I thought we'd completed the long list of people Henry could potentially have an argument with, but hell no, book has been taken back of the shelf and 'Cannon St social drinkers' and 'Jazz enthusiasts' have been added to it :-)
  • Options
    edited May 2017

PaddyP17 said:

PaddyP17 said:

PaddyP17 said:

PaddyP17 said:

PaddyP17 said:

2) Vijay Iyer Trio

No Jazz
    Why?
    Thanks but no thanks.

PaddyP17 said:

PaddyP17 said:

PaddyP17 said:

PaddyP17 said:

PaddyP17 said:

PaddyP17 said:

2) Vijay Iyer Trio

No Jazz
    Why?
    Thanks but no thanks.

Insult your taste?! Get real. I was offering a complementary piece of music that you may or may not have been into. To not enjoy it is fair enough, to call it "musical masturbation" is not. I also don't know what else you listen to - and frankly I don't care, because if you enjoy a certain style of music, that's all that matters. I was hoping there'd be some open-mindedness. After all, I come to these threads to listen to something new.

Educate you? No, I offered one track. An education would be linking my dissertation and relevant material, and force-feeding that to you. Or bombarding you with "BUT MILES DAVIS!!! CHARLIE PARKER!!!" etc etc.

Believe it or not, jazz isn't exclusively what I listen to. Good music is good music, no matter what style. There exists a huge amount of bad jazz, too.

I didn't intend to be patronising. Nor did I ever once claim I knew better. And "just like a jazz fan" - you mean, just like a fan of pretty much *any* genre? Nor did I think "yeah, this will DEFINITELY change some random bloke on the internet's mind". Did I hope it would? Of course. It'd be great if I could share something with someone, and they enjoyed it too.

But we disagree, and that's fine. Being rude about it is not. (Well, to me, at least, but to each their own)
    Gunfight at the O.K. Corral ;-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZqyiRwlLa80
  • Options
    Belatedly back on topic, I'm a fan of Ferry and especially Roxy Music (the earlier the better) but this song is better with a raw, bluesy feel to it, therefore it's Canned Heat
  • Options
    PaddyP17 said:

PaddyP17 said:

PaddyP17 said:

2) Vijay Iyer Trio

No Jazz
    Why?
    I had a listen and I was enjoying it until the missus came in and asked me what I was doing under the sheets and I had to stop :wink:
    What I saw in the clip was people enjoying playing music and it all seemed quite jolly and very well played, but not something I would choose to listen to lots at the moment.:+1:
  • Options
    I like both but Canned Heat's version is excellent...so real and earthy
  • Options
    Jazz is a very self indulgent musical experience ......for the most part it may well be very enjoyable for those playing it, but equally for the most part f'ing awful for the poor bastards who have to listen to it.
  • Options

Jazz is a very self indulgent musical experience ......for the most part it may well be very enjoyable for those playing it, but equally for the most part f'ing awful for the poor bastards who have to listen to it.

Doesn't it depend on what part of jazz it is, and what your mood is?
    To declare the players as self indulgent and the listeners as poor bastards is a fair enough opinion, but merely an opinion as most musical taste tends to be.
    I actually believe there is some very very good Country and Western stuff, but there are people out there who would dismiss the whole genre possibly, because of dislike for one part of it.
  • Options
    seth plum said:

Doesn't it depend on what part of jazz it is, and what your mood is?
    To declare the players as self indulgent and the listeners as poor bastards is a fair enough opinion, but merely an opinion as most musical taste tends to be.
    I actually believe there is some very very good Country and Western stuff, but there are people out there who would dismiss the whole genre possibly, because of dislike for one part of it.
    Seth.....stop being so sensible.......it doesn't suit you.