Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Who would have been our greatest player had they been in their prime?

John Barnes thread got me thinking about who would be the greatest all time Charlton player had they been with us during their prime.

I'm too young to remember Simonsen so only really remember late 80s onwards. Would Barnes have been our best?

Comments

• Options
    Eddie Firmani

In modern times, Scott Parker.
  • Options
    Simonsen all the way. 202 goals in 500 games. Only footballer to have scored in the European Cup, UEFA Cup, and Cup Winners' Cup finals and European Footballer of the Year.

Even when he played for us he was half an hour ahead of those around him so goodness knows what he would have been like in his prime with the likes of Parker, Jensen and Di Canio.
  • Options
    Sadly it has to be the midget wanker
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    Simonsen for me of the players I've seen in the flesh.

Hans Jeppson might have given him a run for his money but before my time.
  • Options
    Simonsen. As said no contest.
  • Options
    I'd have taken JFH in his prime
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Allan Simonsen by a mile
  • Options
    Harry Cripps.
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    Colin Pates or Jorge Costa
  • Options
    Richard Rufus if he hadn't had his knee problems. His defensive ability coupled with ridiculous pace for a centre half would have had him playing regularly for England. Ledley King was in a similar situation but I think Rufus would have been even more of a bastard to play against if he'd kept fit
  • Options
    Jeppson, Firmani, Simonsen, Bartram
  • Options
    I'm not saying he would have been our best ever but Garth Crooks was a notorious goal scorer at Spurs and then came and did a great job for us late 80's.
  • Options
    25May98 said:

I'm not saying he would have been our best ever but Garth Crooks was a notorious goal scorer at Spurs and then came and did a great job for us late 80's.

Scored a lot of important goals for us.
  • Options
    In my life, Di Canio and Barnes. Mendonca had he stayed injury free.
  • Options

25May98 said:

Scored a lot of important goals for us.
    Does anyone remember seeing him clump Mart Stuart in frustration in a game at Selhurst or am I imagining it?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Johnny Summers should get a mention
  • Options
    Leaburn oh
  • Options
    Not sure whether he would be up there with someone like Simonsen (who i never saw play), but Alex Song went on to great things with Arsenal and Barcelona.
  • Options
    Allan Simonsen, without a doubt.

It was hilarious watching him play for us, he was so far ahead of his teammates, it was embarrassing.
  • Options
    Simonsen by a country mile. Awesome player.
  • Options
    Omar Pouso, Cory Gibbs and Karim Bagheri.
  • Options
    I honestly think Simon Church will come good. We maybe had him too early
  • Options
    Roger Johnson - no question.
  • Options
    Simonsen without a doubt