Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Banksy - Genius? Or over rated. CL Art Judges Decide

124»

Comments

• Options
    Macronate said:

£9.9 million?!

Ok.

*makes note to go into loft later to dig out monkey pics I drew as a child*
    I think that's brilliant, but we've got a Vettriano print hanging in the closet room, so I'm not the best critique 
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    I know someone who has one.
    It’s kept in a safe as it’s an investment.

That saddens me.

Art should be seen, admired, critiqued. As I’m sure that’s why it was created in the first place.
    I have 4, some on the wall, some in storage. The first one I paid £175 for was stuck in a frame with blu tak. 
  • Options
    These paintings are worth money for the same reason that first editions of books or original vintage cars are worth money. 

Copies are just as good and probably better for most purposes.

BUT owning the actual original of something you love is nice as well (if you can afford it).
  • Options
    A modern day Hogarth. 
  • Options
    Macronate said:

£9.9 million?!

Ok.

*makes note to go into loft later to dig out monkey pics I drew as a child*
    It looks too orderly in there......
  • Options
    WSSWSS
    edited October 2019
    I thought it was common knowledge Banksy is Robert Del Naja? Or at least a team led by him.

Or was that debunked?
  • Options
    No I think that’s still what most people think.

From Massive Attack, who have been a proper decent band/collective over the years.
  • Options
    WSS said:
    I thought it was common knowledge Banksy is Robert Del Naja? Or at least a team led by him.

Or was that debunked?
    That's not true, you can find out what he looks like and his name by googling... but it isn't Robert del naja, who paints under then name '3D'.
  • Options
    WSS said:

Or was that debunked?
    Seems to be him or Robin Gunningham suggested most often. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    MrOneLung said:
    WSS said:

Or was that debunked?
    Seems to be him or Robin Gunningham suggested most often. 
    B.
  • Options
    I like his stuff but I wonder whether his social commentaries willl have much impact in 100 years time? The money being exchanged suggest some people see him as an artist for the ages which I doubt.
  • Options
    I like his stuff but I wonder whether his social commentaries willl have much impact in 100 years time? The money being exchanged suggest some people see him as an artist for the ages which I doubt.
    I agree. Very much a now artist who will seem ephemeral in a decade or two or three.
    Having said that I like his stuff.
  • Options
    His 'Girl with a balloon' sold for 1.4 million dollars then self shredded.  This apparently may have increased the value.  Maybe not a genius, but pretty dam clever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXKE0nAMmg4  
  • Options
    After all the Brexit arguments in the commons, I think Banksy captures it brilliantly
  • Options
    OUR POLITICIANS ARE MONKEYS!!!!!!! Flipping genius. What a visionary!

*vomits*
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    OUR POLITICIANS ARE MONKEYS!!!!!!! Flipping genius. What a visionary!

*vomits*
    Hold on, @Leuth's got a better one......
  • Options
    I thought it was Robin Gunningham an all
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Warhol was ephemeral and commercial but still exhibited and sells well.

Banksy's work, like Warhols, is accessible, uses common themes and images and so people can "get it".

I think it will still be talked about and collected in 2119.

Warhol did a Velvets cover so still wins.
  • Options
    Went to the Banksy exhibition in Amsterdam back in July. Think some of the less reproduced stuff is actually better.
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    Went to the Banksy exhibition in Amsterdam back in July. Think some of the less reproduced stuff is actually better.
    Hey croydon, have you been to his pop up show that currently in er.... croydon ? 
  • Options

• Options
    edited August 2020
    The only graffiti artist who if he painted on your wall would make you wet yourself with joy. And that goes for everybody.  
  • Options

• Options

Anybody with a genuine interest in this should check out 'Graffiti Wars', made by Channel 4.

It shows the battle between Banksy and another artist by the name of King Robbo who has now sadly passed.

Won't say too much but for anybody that has a remote interest in Banksy or graffiti, should definitely check it out.

Just seen this post.  Very sad what happened to King Robbo. 

• Options
    Went to his dystopian exhibition at W-S-M a few years ago, very dark and deep , but very thought provoking.