Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Can player power get a manager sacked?

Caught a bit of the interview with Kasper Schmeichel where he denied player power got Claudio Ranieri sacked.

Not sure I believe him, Leicesters turn around was quite remarkable afterwards.

Do you think player power can get a manager sacked?

Comments

• Options
    Yes.
  • Options
    Chelsea last year, Leicester this year countless others etc.

Happens probably more now as the cost of failure is so great.
  • Options
    Definitely. Easier and cheaper offloading a manager than a whole squad.
  • Options
    Of course it can. If a group of players want the manager gone then who's going to win?

Chelsea have always seemed to be the worst. Downed tools for Villas-Boas then went and won the CL after he was sacked. Last year with Mourinho too.
  • Options
    I think this interview with Peter Lorimer is quite illuminating. telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/leeds-united/5016364/The-Damned-United-Peter-Lorimer-Film-puts-record-straight-on-Brian-Cloughs-Leeds-reign.html
    He says the players at Leeds didn't demand the sacking of Clough but clearly they were just not going to bother busting a gut for him and from what Lorimer says, you can understand why! In the end, it's a results business and if a manager has "lost the dressing room" the results will, inevitably lead to a managerial sacking.
    So, perhaps, player power is a little more subtle than we think. For example, did Bob Peeters by his own miscalculations on how to man mange get himself sacked or was it players' direct action?
  • Options
    Managers are puppets of players and agents, in the end. The fact that even the best managers get forced out every 2-3 years proves this. The average PL manager tenure is now just 52 matches. If they had power, that would not happen.
  • Options
    100% yes, bet it happens quite a bit but isn't reported
  • Options
    I thought it got a bit like that with Karl at one point.
  • Options
    Yes it can but I don't believe that was the case at Leicester.
  • Options
    Player power certainly got rid of Karel and Peeters.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Absolutely. Chelsea last year. Chelsea under Scolari. The question that seems to be at play here is "did this happen at Leicester this season?" and I don't know the answer to that.
  • Options
    Definitely.

At the end of the day, in a lot of scenarios the majority wins - and in the event when you are trying to oust someone it's difficult for the minority to hold on.

The sad state of affairs at Leicester City is I cannot imagine what Ranieri could have done, after delivering such a dream to the club and the players, for them to turn on him and force him out!

The turnaround in results and form is too opposite to the form under Ranieri for it to just be coincidence or a bad period under Ranieri.
  • Options
    WSA said:

I thought it got a bit like that with Karl at one point.

we're just shit
  • Options
    100% Chelsea last year, was so blatant too
  • Options
    Happens at Real Madrid most years.
  • Options
    Hazard went from player of the year to a poor mans Cristian Ceballos. Now he's back to being a world beater.

Chelsea have done it a few times but under Jose last year was blindingly obvious imo.

I understand the doubt with Leicester, some people believe and some are not so sure. But the difference in performance and more importantly their desire to high press etc it games immediately after Claudio was sacked stands out to me. They just weren't giving the same effort as the previous year. They wanted him out as far as I'm concerned.

Player power is king.
    Sad but true.
  • Options
    Good points about chelski, I'd forgotten about that but why at Leicester. Can't understand that at all, after what he achieved?
  • Options
    Les Reed
  • Options
    And don't forget Karel Fraye!

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Doesn't even have to be the players en masse either. Didn't Gullit effectively lose his job for not starting with Shearer in their derby game?
  • Options
    Craig Shakespeare sacked
  • Options

Craig Shakespeare sacked

That's bizarre. They've had a rather tough start in terms of opposition and considering the job he did last season I think it's harsh on him.
  • Options
    Swisdom said:

Craig Shakespeare sacked

That's bizarre. They've had a rather tough start in terms of opposition and considering the job he did last season I think it's harsh on him.
    Most managerial sackings are harsh - but nature of the beast now.
  • Options
    not so much 'can' as 'often does' .. going at least right back to the famous and oft reported one, Clough at Leeds
  • Options
    Watched some of last night's game. Didn't really see Leicester scoring and that's despite spending money on iheanacho from man city.
    Losing Kante didn't help and not really replaced.
  • Options
    Much ado about nothing