Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Club cricket thread

Comments

• Options
    I hadn't realised that former Test cricketer Sean Ervine had turned pro golfer. Wel that's what he was doing 'til Minster CC had succeeded in enticing him out of retirement!
    Minister might as well be renamed Lashings 2nd XI.
    Pointless ego trip.
  • Options
    Standby for Paddy bragging, y'all
  • Options
    *pipes up* 65-8 actually! My doughty 13 got us from 30-7 that far at least :P 

But yes. Tailend heroics, nothing like 'em
  • Options
    We lost by 7 wickets to Beckenham. Played 2 lost 2. Defence of the title looking unlikely! 
  • Options
    I hadn't realised that former Test cricketer Sean Ervine had turned pro golfer. Wel that's what he was doing 'til Minster CC had succeeded in enticing him out of retirement!
    Minister might as well be renamed Lashings 2nd XI.
    Pointless ego trip.
    And he didn't even get a bat as they chased over 200 for the loss of just one wicket...
  • Options
    I'm going to whisper this very, very, very quietly, but I think we have a decent amount of availability this week. Certainly, several 4s charges have expressed availability!

Hopefully I can field an actually strong team.
  • Options
    Let's see! Firstly, let's see if we have some more batsmen today, rather than the bowlers having to do all the batting as well. And let's see if Paddy is awake and sentient after last night...
  • Options
    Riviera said:
    We lost by 7 wickets to Beckenham. Played 2 lost 2. Defence of the title looking unlikely! 

Make that 3/3 losses - this time by almost 200 runs to Bickley Park. And this was despite one of their bowlers bowling 11 overs when the maximum allowed is 10!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    He wasn't too good for my lightning wicketkeeping
  • Options
    Riviera said:

Make that 3/3 losses - this time by almost 200 runs to Bickley Park. And this was despite one of their bowlers bowling 11 overs when the maximum allowed is 10!
    Well that’s the umpires fault and also should have been spotted by the scorers too.  Mahi the bowler concerned was in the U14 team I managed. 
    Pretty sure a 198 run defeat is the heaviest defeat our 1’s have suffered in the league. 
  • Options
    Riviera said:

Yea, sorry about that. Circumstances left me a bit confused. It was a Blackheath bowler who bowled an 11th over, and it went for 16. 
  • Options
    Riviera said:

And we're out of the National too after losing to Bromley Common! 
     No treble for us this year then, domestic or otherwise...
  • Options
    @Addick Addict - can you explain what happened in Seb's game at the weekend?! In particular the number of extras from the openers? Looks fairly anomalous. Good to see him with three scalps though!
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    PaddyP17 said:
    @Addick Addict - can you explain what happened in Seb's game at the weekend?! In particular the number of extras from the openers? Looks fairly anomalous. Good to see him with three scalps though!
    I can - the ball was absolutely hooping.

One of the two opening bowlers is the same age as Seb and they have been playing together since they were 10. Unlike Seb though, this lad is 6' 5" at the age of 16 and such is his promise that he made his debut for Kent 2s a couple of weeks ago. Both opening bowlers struggled to control the ball but, when they did, they were unplayable. 

At one point Hayes were 55-7 off 17 overs with just 16 off the bat! Of the innings total of 44 extras, 2 were leg byes, 4 were no balls and there were a massive 38 wides - these came from 36 different balls with Seb doing a decent impression, on occasions, of our very own Dillon Phillips in preventing all bar one of them from going for extra runs.

It was one of those days where probably, in hindsight, Hayes made the wrong decision to bat - especially as the ball didn't do as much when we batted. Our bowlers would probably argue though that the Hayes bowlers just weren't as good at making the most of the conditions!
  • Options
    PaddyP17 said:

One of the two opening bowlers is the same age as Seb and they have been playing together since they were 10. Unlike Seb though, this lad is 6' 5" at the age of 16 and such is his promise that he made his debut for Kent 2s a couple of weeks ago. Both opening bowlers struggled to control the ball but, when they did, they were unplayable. 

At one point Hayes were 55-7 off 17 overs with just 16 off the bat! Of the innings total of 44 extras, 2 were leg byes, 4 were no balls and there were a massive 38 wides - these came from 36 different balls with Seb doing a decent impression of our very own Dillon Phillips in preventing all bar one of them from going for extra runs.

It was one of those days where probably, in hindsight, Hayes made the wrong decision to bat - especially as the ball didn't do as much when we batted. Our bowlers would probably argue though that the Hayes bowlers just weren't as good at making the most of the conditions!
    This is how cricket should be. Not the ridiculous circus of 700+ run aggregate matches we will have to suffer over the next two months. 
  • Options
    Riviera said:
    PaddyP17 said:

At one point Hayes were 55-7 off 17 overs with just 16 off the bat! Of the innings total of 44 extras, 2 were leg byes, 4 were no balls and there were a massive 38 wides - these came from 36 different balls with Seb doing a decent impression of our very own Dillon Phillips in preventing all bar one of them from going for extra runs.

This is how cricket should be. Not the ridiculous circus of 700+ run aggregate matches we will have to suffer over the next two months. 
    Afraid I'll have to disagree. At the moment, the conditions (early season decks and early season weather) are a bit too heavily weighted in favour of the bowlers. I was our most expensive bowler going at 3 an over on Saturday.

We posted 110-9 off 40 (outfield did not help at all - we probably would have had an extra 50 runs, and that's not an exaggeration, in actual batting conditions), and the oppo were 83 all out off 37.3.

Last week, they posted 96-6 off 40 (how painful is that!) and we took 35 overs to chase it down (admittedly, nine wickets down, but again - terrible batting conditions).

I think it's a bit pointless when every ball is a jaffa, and equally so when every glance off the bat is a boundary. 
  • Options
    PaddyP17 said:
    Riviera said:
    PaddyP17 said:

Afraid I'll have to disagree. At the moment, the conditions (early season decks and early season weather) are a bit too heavily weighted in favour of the bowlers. I was our most expensive bowler going at 3 an over on Saturday.

We posted 110-9 off 40 (outfield did not help at all - we probably would have had an extra 50 runs, and that's not an exaggeration, in actual batting conditions), and the oppo were 83 all out off 37.3.

Last week, they posted 96-6 off 40 (how painful is that!) and we took 35 overs to chase it down (admittedly, nine wickets down, but again - terrible batting conditions).

I think it's a bit pointless when every ball is a jaffa, and equally so when every glance off the bat is a boundary. 
    If the Bickley Park outfield hadn't been so long and slow, they'd have passed 400 on Saturday!
  • Options
    PaddyP17 said:
    Riviera said:
    PaddyP17 said:

I was being a little tongue in cheek, however the conditions you describe are not the ones that the international teams will face or indeed have encountered already this season. Two new balls that don't swing either conventionally nor reverse and have you seen the pitches we have played Pakistan on? Straw coloured, bone dry, rock hard belters. People will lose interest in these boring games, I have already. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Played at the saffrons Eastbourne on their 2nd pitch and for the level I play at now it was a belter...however 4s cricket is going to be vastly different because of the paucity of squares around ...you have my sympathy @PaddyP17

Who'd be a bowler though in limited overs cricket? If you go for 6 an over you've done well and there's no one near the bat to catch a ball that doesn't move 

It's almost as if the role of the bowler is to feed the batsman rather than get them out 

• Options
    We had a game @Riviera wouldn't have liked today :wink:

We posted 252-2 off our 40. A glorious 102* from our opener (usually plays for Waggoners with me, but he is happy to play the odd Saturday when available this year), coupled with 75* off about 50 balls from our number 4 - our usual opening bowler! - always looked tough to chase.

In fairness, they got 201 (or so) all out in reply, on a genuine belter of a track. We were a little poor in the field though and I lost my rag a touch, for which I'm contrite and apologetic.

Glad to take 3 wickets even if it was for 50 runs! And @Leuth had a couple too.

Decent day. 
  • Options
    Can i just point out that another game today had a bowler bowling 11 overs so its not just me who cocks up!
  • Options
    A couple! I had 3-37, which beats 3-50 in any match summary around the globe 
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    A couple! I had 3-37, which beats 3-50 in any match summary around the globe 
    Oh yeah, two caught and bowleds. If we had fantasy cricket at OCs then you'd be cleaning up!
  • Options
    - plus the plummest LBW in the universe. Always out.
  • Options
    Neither were the best c&b of the game though - a ripper from their bloke! Their other wicket was a boundary catch of a ball sailing for a flat six over backward square; the batsman claimed he didn't even know there was a fielder in that direction let alone straight where he hit it. And thus ended his first knock in twenty years!

His 13 year-old son, billed as a batsman who bowled, playing his first adult game, had the bad manners to bowl considerably better than any of us adults. At least he didn't have the temerity to actually take a wicket. That would have been too far.
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Neither were the best c&b of the game though - a ripper from their bloke! Their other wicket was a boundary catch of a ball sailing for a flat six over backward square; the batsman claimed he didn't even know there was a fielder in that direction let alone straight where he hit it. And thus ended his first knock in twenty years!

His 13 year-old son, billed as a batsman who bowled, playing his first adult game, had the bad manners to bowl considerably better than any of us adults. At least he didn't have the temerity to actually take a wicket. That would have been too far.
    Both Charlton fans too