Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Club cricket thread

Comments

• AshBurton said:
    PaddyP17 said:
    Leuth said:
    Dear lord, we can all be happy I wasn't in your team for that 
    We were 28-3 and a rebuild was in order! And Roebucks wiped the floor with most other sides that year. 

https://oldcolfeians.play-cricket.com/website/results/2707460 
    26 balls left to get 37 when final wicket went ffs 10 and 11 cost a memorable victory 
    Well, that’s a good point in theory, oohaah. I’ve never heard of number 10, but if number 9 batted above him, he probably hadn’t held a bat before. And number 11, dear Gethin, has a career average of 1.09 across 82 innings (despite 47 not outs).
    Geth has more not outs than runs.
  • PaddyP17 said:
    AshBurton said:
    PaddyP17 said:
    Leuth said:
    We were 28-3 and a rebuild was in order! And Roebucks wiped the floor with most other sides that year. 

26 balls left to get 37 when final wicket went ffs 10 and 11 cost a memorable victory 
    Well, that’s a good point in theory, oohaah. I’ve never heard of number 10, but if number 9 batted above him, he probably hadn’t held a bat before. And number 11, dear Gethin, has a career average of 1.09 across 82 innings (despite 47 not outs).
    Some captains yearn for the likes of Gethin - every side used to have one if not two of that ilk but nowadays the world and its mother reckon that they can bat and want to be in the top 7 or 8!
  • PaddyP17 said:
    AshBurton said:
    PaddyP17 said:
    Leuth said:

Some captains yearn for the likes of Gethin - every side used to have one if not two of that ilk but nowadays the world and its mother reckon that they can bat and want to be in the top 7 or 8!
    In unrelated news, I'm batting at 4, bowling first change and fielding at second slip this year.
  • I'm glad you've recognised that my bowling deserves two slips now 
  • PaddyP17 said:
    PaddyP17 said:
    AshBurton said:
    PaddyP17 said:
    Leuth said:

In unrelated news, I'm batting at 4, bowling first change and fielding at second slip this year.

Leuth would probably argue that the only surprise is that you aren't opening the batting and bowling.

Just heading off to the argument thread in anticipation.......
  • Leuth said:
    I'm glad you've recognised that my bowling deserves two slips now 
    Paddy said he was going to stand at second slip - he didn't say that there were going to be two slips though.
  • Leuth said:
    I'm glad you've recognised that my bowling deserves two slips now 
    To be fair, you drew one of the only two genuinely edged slip catches last year, even if it was against poor old NatWest.

(For context, they won one game all season, and that was when their 1st XI didn't have a fixture. We scored three times as many points as they did, which is quite an achievement given how the KRCL points structure works.)
  • A light update on my comeback

I've sped my right arm up however I can see a lot going down the leg side as has been the case whenever I've got over excited I used to be able to turn a ball but the action needed is causing me too much discomfort so it's straight half volleys for all

My batting has surprised me, the club have some very decent bowlers and I'm holding my own. Although their six foot 5 genuinely fast man took exception to me not letting him show off and stuck one down legside that I couldn't adjust quick enough for and I'm still wearing the bruise on my thigh 2 weeks on. 

• Excellent stuff Carter - make sure you're not overdoing anything in terms of a bowling action! But I'm sure the groove will be found very soon.

Whisper it quietly - very, very quietly - but netting since January, and twice a week for the last couple of weeks, has been immensely helpful for me. It's been my most extensive preparation for a season in years, and I've reverted to medium dibbly dobblers because my knee can take it (yay!). I've got genuine in-swing going, though tonight was a bit leg-sidey for my own liking.

Batting, though, has somehow become a thing. I'm playing some nice shots and staying far stiller at the crease, and apparently this now means I'm pushing it through the covers at will. There's less waft and more balance.

Hopefully it all translates to the middle, of course!
  • Sponsored links:

• Every year around springtime I get all nostalgic and consider making a cricketing comeback. I'm gonna get fit, lose weight and start playing again. Of course it never happens. I'm 54 this year and haven't played proper cricket for over 20 years and what today is Premier KCL cricket for over 30. 
     Anyone on here got any good stories, either personal or anecdotal,  about returning to Club Cricket after a long absence? 
  • Riviera said:
    Every year around springtime I get all nostalgic and consider making a cricketing comeback. I'm gonna get fit, lose weight and start playing again. Of course it never happens. I'm 54 this year and haven't played proper cricket for over 20 years and what today is Premier KCL cricket for over 30. 
     Anyone on here got any good stories, either personal or anecdotal,  about returning to Club Cricket after a long absence? 
    @AshBurton came back after a near two decade hiatus to play for OCCC and I think it's safe to say he's right in the thick of it now, having recently been appointed third team captain.

I highly recommend joining him, and us. Not that I, ah, um, er, am in constant need of players, or anything...
  • PaddyP17 said:
    Riviera said:
    Every year around springtime I get all nostalgic and consider making a cricketing comeback. I'm gonna get fit, lose weight and start playing again. Of course it never happens. I'm 54 this year and haven't played proper cricket for over 20 years and what today is Premier KCL cricket for over 30. 
    @AshBurton came back after a near two decade hiatus to play for OCCC and I think it's safe to say he's right in the thick of it now, having recently been appointed third team captain.

I highly recommend joining him, and us. Not that I, ah, um, er, am in constant need of players, or anything...
    Had some very good Sunday games against you guys in the 80's. Don't think I could really play for anyone but Blackheath, been a member since 1980 and am an HVP.
  • Enjoyed the return of Paddy's pace tonight. There was even some semi-promising left-arm tweak. And we all worked out that for maximum success I need to revert back to my ambled approach. Or you could call it my Embuldeniya approach, considering how Sri Lanka's new spinner basically walks up to the crease. All spin should be bowled that way tbh

• edited March 2019
    PaddyP17 said:
    Riviera said:

Yes indeed. I’m 56 next month and enjoying it more than ever. My hiatus was due to living in countries not known for their love of cricket (mainly Germany, latterly Sweden) but may have happened anyway from the usual mix of kids, working too hard, life, etc. It’s been nice to come back, find that everything still more or less works (albeit at a slower reaction speed) and play in the same team as my son. Oh and @PaddyP17 and @Leuth of course! 
  • Beckenham have signed Stuart Binny for the coming season.

Disappointing winter in terms of player loss though, so could be another season of struggle from us.
    He plays in the IPL today with the Rajasthan Royals, in a team with Smith, Rahane, Stokes, Buttler and Archer.

He'll be bowling at me in a few weeks........ LOL!!!!
  • You know he's considered painfully slow? You might need an arm guard, mind 
  • Leuth said:
    You know he's considered painfully slow? You might need an arm guard, mind 
    Yes, I know.

Just thought it was amusing considering I am shit at cricket.
  • Leuth said:
    Yes, I know.

I'd love to see Leuth face him, mind, especially after this comment.

Not that Leuth actually called him "painfully slow", but even so!
  • Sponsored links:

• PaddyP17 said:
    Leuth said:
    Yes, I know.

I'd love to see Leuth face him, mind, especially after this comment.

Not that Leuth actually called him "painfully slow", but even so!
    I didn't want to say anything, but yea... this haha.
  • Bexley won the first Kent based competition of the summer today.

Actually it was last season's abandoned T20DYNO finals day - they beat Tonbridge in the semis by 51 runs and then chased down Littlebourne's 205 with 5 balls to spare to retain the trophy they won in 2017.
  • Bexley won the first Kent based competition of the summer today.

Actually it was last season's abandoned T20DYNO finals day - they beat Tonbridge in the semis by 51 runs and then chased down Littlebourne's 205 with 5 balls to spare to retain the trophy they won in 2017.
    @a@"Addick Addict"

Thanks

I actually sponsor this and was unaware of the result !!

sounds a great final though 👍

• ;) BR3red said:

Thought you said you sponsored it!  Who are Dyno Plumbing?  ;)
  • We've now moved to outdoor nets which I much prefer to the bore fest of 2 hours of nothing but queue, bowl one ball, queue bowl one ball, have ten minutes of batting, de-pad, queue, bowl one ball. 

We did a lot of drills yesterday, changed it up a bit and whilst it was colder than I'd like to be catching high balls and low nasty fast ones I felt less bored. 

First friendly Saturday which I'm very much looking forward to 
  • First friendly tomorrow?! My word. Badgers out in full force.
  • Carter said:
    We've now moved to outdoor nets which I much prefer to the bore fest of 2 hours of nothing but queue, bowl one ball, queue bowl one ball, have ten minutes of batting, de-pad, queue, bowl one ball. 

We did a lot of drills yesterday, changed it up a bit and whilst it was colder than I'd like to be catching high balls and low nasty fast ones I felt less bored. 

Good luck @Carter. Hope you enjoy it.
  • Carter said:
    We've now moved to outdoor nets which I much prefer to the bore fest of 2 hours of nothing but queue, bowl one ball, queue bowl one ball, have ten minutes of batting, de-pad, queue, bowl one ball. 

Good luck @Carter. Hope you enjoy it.
    Thanks mate, things are starting to come back to me and my bowling has got a lot better and consistent. My batting is ok but like pretty much everyone who has ever wielded a bat I get over excited and waft away at stuff I should leave alone. I hope the sun warms up by tomorrow it's been anything but warm in it today