Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Club cricket thread

Comments

• 20 juicy points for the Old Colfeians 4th XI!

Holmesdale all out for 158, we did it 7 down with good contributions from most of us. Party time!
  • PaddyP17 said:

20 juicy points for the Old Colfeians 4th XI!

Holmesdale all out for 158, we did it 7 down with good contributions from most of us. Party time!

Have you escaped relegation, or secured promotion, or both?
  • seth plum said:

PaddyP17 said:

Have you escaped relegation, or secured promotion, or both?
    Haha! Escaped relegation at the expense of @lolwray and his charges - sorry mate :disappointed:
  • In an effort to keep me as far away from any game that might have any meaning I was put in our 2s today. But I had the last laugh with 7 overs for 19! In your face, common sense! (We lost comfortably, obv)
  • PaddyP17 said:

Common sense has taken an absolute beasting today, my word! Well played indeed
  • Watched a ridiculous game today. Chislehurt 2nds v Sibton Park 2nds.
    Sibton only brought seven players, match lasted maybe two hours.
  • PopIcon said:

Watched a ridiculous game today. Chislehurt 2nds v Sibton Park 2nds.
    Sibton only brought seven players, match lasted maybe two hours.

Should've been a concession from Sibton's 2s. I think eight is the minimum you can go out with?
  • Seven is the minimum you can start with. Sibton park won the toss and batted. They had four decent batters, but no bowlers. If Chisles had won the toss they would have scored four hundred!
  • I stood at Bexley yesterday and have to say it was a pleasure. From the groundsman (hi Dave) to the tea ladies (best tea this season), i was made very welcome. If only every club treated the officials in that way...
  • Same result as last week for the Bexley 2s - a 196 run win. Despite a total of 272 all out, only Murts with his usual 50, reached a score of real note. U15 Ben Bleksley, on his 2s debut, helped himself to a 5-12 as Whitstable managed just 76 in total.

An excellent season overall for the Club with the 1s comfortably in the end avoiding relegation and with the Club Cricket Conference Final to come on Saturday week, the 2s crowned Champions, the 3s finishing 3rd, the 4s a creditable 4th, the 5s missing out on promotion by a single point and the 6s runners up.
  • Sponsored links:

• Pedro45 said:

The race to be leading KCL run scorer is quite close this year, what with some very big scores coming out each week. Callum Jackson (948) was leading, but he didn't play for Dartford this week, and now Ben Davis of Hythe II's (mainly) is ahead (956). Ben Gittings of Offham has 904 (lots more than his brother this year!), and Joshua Earle of Old Williamsonians has 887 (he's their Aussie overseas I think). Then comes Fabian, chased by Kai Appleby (861), Aaron Johnson of Upchurch (853), and the rest. Be interesting to see who gets the gong!

The leading KCL run scorer race was a good one, with Callum Jackson scoring 80 in their defeat to Canterbury. That took him to 1028 runs for the league season, a phenomenal feat!

We don't know how many Hythe's Ben Davis got yet, as the scorecard is not complete, but Hythe 2's only got 129, so safe to say Davis will not beat Jackson to the most runs title.

Ben Gittings got 48, Earle got 34, which took them both past 900, and Fabian scored just 22 to fall 2 runs shy of the 900 mark.

Kai Appleby got 27 but will have a promotion to drink to as Hayes blew it on the last day. Aaron Johnson scored just 1 as Upchurch seem to have decided to celebrate before their game started.

Callum Nash of Sidcup squeeked into the top 8 by scoring 67 for the 2's on the last day.

The hot weather and lack of incomplete games will have benefited the run scorers this season, but to have so many players over 850 runs in a season is extraordinary.

Mark Gracey, an excellent left arm tweaker for Frindsbury, took the leading wicket taker title.
  • Given that Dartford were relegated again, I would question whether Jackson will be playing in Division 2 next season. He really is too good a bat for that.
  • Given that Dartford were relegated again, I would question whether Jackson will be playing in Division 2 next season. He really is too good a bat for that.

I'm sure he won't be the only one thinking about moving clubs; I've heard rumours of more people jumping off the Hartley boat recently, despite their promotion back to the Premier league.
  • Pedro45 said:

Given that Dartford were relegated again, I would question whether Jackson will be playing in Division 2 next season. He really is too good a bat for that.

I'm sure he won't be the only one thinking about moving clubs; I've heard rumours of more people jumping off the Hartley boat recently, despite their promotion back to the Premier league.
    James Thompson is *constantly* at it with Hartley and recruiting. Our 2s captain and 1s spinner played against him in a midweek fixture for Gravesend (both surnamed Patel).

He was "very impressed with how the young left armer bowled [7-1-18-2]" and then asked "Would he be interested in joining Hartley - if so, then he will get some interest from the county through my contacts".

Said left armer is a 6'2 27 year old with a goatee and (I think) earns about the same as the average County player in his day job.
  • Thommo is not my favourite player either, and will definitely not be on my Xmas card list this year! He always gets something from Laurie Wray every season though!
  • Pedro45 said:

Thommo is not my favourite player either, and will definitely not be on my Xmas card list this year! He always gets something from Laurie Wray every season though!

you might think that but i couldnt possibly comment
  • PaddyP17 said:

Pedro45 said:

Given that Dartford were relegated again, I would question whether Jackson will be playing in Division 2 next season. He really is too good a bat for that.

James Thompson is *constantly* at it with Hartley and recruiting. Our 2s captain and 1s spinner played against him in a midweek fixture for Gravesend (both surnamed Patel).

He was "very impressed with how the young left armer bowled [7-1-18-2]" and then asked "Would he be interested in joining Hartley - if so, then he will get some interest from the county through my contacts".

Said left armer is a 6'2 27 year old with a goatee and (I think) earns about the same as the average County player in his day job.
    Not sure having a goatee and playing for Kent are mutually exclusive, nor indeed being quite tall. But the 27 year old / high-earning day job aspects might indeed be deal-breakers.

Back in the day, I watched admiringly from the non-striker's end as my opening partner at school, a Mr Andrew Caswall, scored 1,300+ runs in a season at an average of 103. I naively assumed that, with a fair wind, he may go on to play for Kent, but apparently investment banking proved a bit more lucrative(!).
  • AshBurton said:

PaddyP17 said:

Pedro45 said:

Not sure having a goatee and playing for Kent are mutually exclusive, nor indeed being quite tall. But the 27 year old / high-earning day job aspects might indeed be deal-breakers.

Back in the day, I watched admiringly from the non-striker's end as my opening partner at school, a Mr Andrew Caswall, scored 1,300+ runs in a season at an average of 103. I naively assumed that, with a fair wind, he may go on to play for Kent, but apparently investment banking proved a bit more lucrative(!).
    Funnily enough i have bowled quite a few times at the middle of his bat when he was young ...you can tell a good player when he has so much time to play his shots ...he had all the time in the world
  • AshBurton said:

PaddyP17 said:

Pedro45 said:

I played a fair bit of cricket with him at Bromley CC. (He a miles better player than me, I might add)
    He was as good a club player as you'd wish to see and a very bright guy, which lead him to an extremely successful career in the City - I hear he's even richer than @Riviera ...

• James Goodman was a very promising cricketer 'til he turned his back on the game for the City too.
  • Sponsored links:

• AshBurton said:

PaddyP17 said:

Pedro45 said:

I played a fair bit of cricket with him at Bromley CC. (He a miles better player than me, I might add)
    He was as good a club player as you'd wish to see and a very bright guy, which lead him to an extremely successful career in the City - I hear he's even richer than @Riviera ...

We used to live in the same street.
  • AshBurton said:

PaddyP17 said:

Pedro45 said:

Absolutely not - but "young" implied James thought he was, presumably, U18...
  • Bexley U19s took part in the finals of the Kent ECB T20 Competition today, looking to retain the trophy they won last year.

In the semis Bexley amassed 189 which was always going to be a tall order for OEs who struggled to 81 all out off just 12 overs. The other semi saw a very strong Canterbury side, containing four Kent players including two academy boys, defeat Hayes by 40 runs.

Canterbury won the toss and elected to bat in the final and Bexley did very well, as a result of some excellent catches, to limit them to 155. The Bexley response ebbed and flowed 'til they needed 3 off the last over to win - the tie would mean a Canterbury victory.

Single, single, wicket. Seb strides to the wicket with just one to win off the last 3 balls. He takes guard and is ready to hit the glory shot.......Seb fails to make contact..........but then he must have heard the call from the Umpire - "no ball". Yeh, right, of course he did!

I hope he thanked you.
    I was, fortunately, not umpiring. Or even scoring. We have proper officials for an occasion such as this.
  • Did not realise Errol Valentine's condition was quite as bad as has just been stated recently.

Wishing him all the very best.
  • Hahaha what a joke this is. The money will run out at some point, guys...

• edited October 2018
    Is Fabian Cowdrey on some sort of mission? Tonbridge School, Sevenoaks Vine CC and then on to two of the most unfashionable places in Kent namely Lordswood and now Sheppey. Is he rebelling against his Dad for giving him such a posh name?
  • PaddyP17 said:

Hahaha what a joke this is. The money will run out at some point, guys...

Coles looks a lot slimmer in that photo than he did when I last saw him play live for Kent
  • Will probably get plenty of game time.