Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Club cricket thread

Comments

• Options

PaddyP17 said:

@Addick Addict reckon Bexley 6s would allow me to be their umpire this weekend?

The fact that Catford and Cyphers are level on points with OCs in a relegation scrap has nothing to do with this amazingly generous offer.

I'm sure that the 6s would welcome any umpire however incompetent they might be................
    Just taken a look at the table - Orpington have won one less match than the top side and yet are in the relegation zone!
    They conceded to us, which didn't help. It's also ridiculous that Cyphers have only won four (two less than us, three less than Orpington) and yet due to their BP situation are level with us/ahead of Orpington.

It's been such a weird season.
  • Options
    I don't usually bowl, but after failing with the bat on Saturday, and not having to keep for a change, I was tossed the ball with the opposition 7 down as we looked to polish off a comprehensive 150 run win.

Nothing really happened until the fourth ball of my second over when the batsman popped one up to cover. While gathered with my teammates, I joked that the next ball was going to be a leggie. Unfortunately half way through my delivery I bottled it, didn't release the ball when I should and sent the most horrible of balls down, which was collected by the fielder in the gully. This was unsurprisingly given as a wide.

When the laughter and ridicule ended, I managed to pick up a wicket with my next ball caught by short extra cover, and then clean bowled their number 11 with a ball that was far too good for him (straight)

This doesn't count as a hat trick does it? One of my teammates was convinced.
  • Options
    Ben18 said:

I don't usually bowl, but after failing with the bat on Saturday, and not having to keep for a change, I was tossed the ball with the opposition 7 down as we looked to polish off a comprehensive 150 run win.

Nothing really happened until the fourth ball of my second over when the batsman popped one up to cover. While gathered with my teammates, I joked that the next ball was going to be a leggie. Unfortunately half way through my delivery I bottled it, didn't release the ball when I should and sent the most horrible of balls down, which was collected by the fielder in the gully. This was unsurprisingly given as a wide.

When the laughter and ridicule ended, I managed to pick up a wicket with my next ball caught by short extra cover, and then clean bowled their number 11 with a ball that was far too good for him (straight)

This doesn't count as a hat trick does it? One of my teammates was convinced.

It doesn't, but it does constitute massive jug avoidance, for which the penalty is two jugs.
  • Options
    Ben, pretty crazy your former teammate Pat Brown is now the best T20 bowler in England!
  • Options
    PaddyP17 said:

The fact that Catford and Cyphers are level on points with OCs in a relegation scrap has nothing to do with this amazingly generous offer.

oi !
  • Options
    PaddyP17 said:

PaddyP17 said:

I'm sure that the 6s would welcome any umpire however incompetent they might be................
    Just taken a look at the table - Orpington have won one less match than the top side and yet are in the relegation zone!
    They conceded to us, which didn't help. It's also ridiculous that Cyphers have only won four (two less than us, three less than Orpington) and yet due to their BP situation are level with us/ahead of Orpington.

It's been such a weird season.
    even more Oi !
  • Options
    Only kidding @lolwray !

Besides, we've not really taken our bonus points as we should. All the fault of the bowling attack ie me!
  • Options
    PaddyP17 said:

Only kidding @lolwray !

Besides, we've not really taken our bonus points as we should. All the fault of the bowling attack ie me!

i know Padster ..i think cccc are doomed
  • Options
    @lolwray how'd it go?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

PaddyP17 said:

@lolwray how'd it go?

I believe that Bexley chased down Catford Cyphers total of 175 to win by 6 wickets.

Bexley 1s cemented their place in the KPL with a resounding win against a Blackheath side that had the likes of Ivan Thomas and DBD in their ranks - Blackheath mustered jut 97 with Bexley reaching their target for the loss of 4 wickets. This leaves Blackheath just one point ahead of Lordswood going into the final round of matches.

The 2s, having won the League last week, opted to give Seb a chance at the top of the order against Holmesdale. With just 3 runs off his first 26 balls there was a concern that he would get stuck/give it up but he eventually secured an 86 ball 50. Murts got his usual half century too but these two performances were merely the platform for what was to come.

Simon Williams (49* off 30) came in at the fall of the 4th wicket to join Stanley Wells (108 off 51) and the two caused absolute carnage -so much so that the last 8 overs of the innings produced no less than 119 runs!

Chasing 316 was going to be a tall order for Holmesdale and they fell almost 200 runs short. Seb managed to reach another 50 in the process - his 50th wicket keeping dismissal for the Club this season.
    There are mitigating circumstances, we have serious groundsman issues at the club and the pitch was totally underprepared, so much that the players had to make the stump holes themselves. Shocking state of affairs for a club of such standing.
    Going to be tough next week although it is in our hands. We have to beat a resurgent Beckenham who at one stage this season looked like they were going to do a "Middlesex" and get relegated as champions but have had a very good end to the campaign. Lordswood are one point behind and play already relegated Tenterden. We need maximum points.
  • Options
    Riviera said:

PaddyP17 said:

@lolwray how'd it go?

I believe that Bexley chased down Catford Cyphers total of 175 to win by 6 wickets.

Bexley 1s cemented their place in the KPL with a resounding win against a Blackheath side that had the likes of Ivan Thomas and DBD in their ranks - Blackheath mustered jut 97 with Bexley reaching their target for the loss of 4 wickets. This leaves Blackheath just one point ahead of Lordswood going into the final round of matches.

The 2s, having won the League last week, opted to give Seb a chance at the top of the order against Holmesdale. With just 3 runs off his first 26 balls there was a concern that he would get stuck/give it up but he eventually secured an 86 ball 50. Murts got his usual half century too but these two performances were merely the platform for what was to come.

Simon Williams (49* off 30) came in at the fall of the 4th wicket to join Stanley Wells (108 off 51) and the two caused absolute carnage -so much so that the last 8 overs of the innings produced no less than 119 runs!

Chasing 316 was going to be a tall order for Holmesdale and they fell almost 200 runs short. Seb managed to reach another 50 in the process - his 50th wicket keeping dismissal for the Club this season.
    There are mitigating circumstances, we have serious groundsman issues at the club and the pitch was totally underprepared, so much that the players had to make the stump holes themselves. Shocking state of affairs for a club of such standing.
    Going to be tough next week although it is in our hands. We have to beat a resurgent Beckenham who at one stage this season looked like they were going to do a "Middlesex" and get relegated as champions but have had a very good end to the campaign. Lordswood are one point behind and play already relegated Tenterden. We need maximum points.
    A lot will depend on whether Robinson and Blake are available for Beckenham - the former has 579 runs from 8 innings in the KPL and the latter, known for his big hitting, actually opened the bowling yesterday and returned figures of 10-3-50-3.
  • Options
    I'm umpiring Bexley 1's next week.
  • Options
    Pedro45 said:

It would be great to meet you Pedro. I suspect though that you might be long gone by the time we get back to Bexley from Whitstable!
  • Options

Pedro45 said:

It would be great to meet you Pedro. I suspect though that you might be long gone by the time we get back to Bexley from Whitstable!
    Indeed! I've got to hotfoott back to Chislehurst once done, for their end of season bash! It'll probably rain, anyhow!
  • Options
    Assuming a six-wicket win, that means C&C grab six points (four for margin of defeat, two bowling points), so if we can bowl Holmesdale out and get with 70, we'll be fine. (Or, bat first and take five wickets - but even so...)

This is squeaky bum time.
  • Options
    Though, I note Holmesdale only had eight on Saturday(!), even if one of them was Kent cricketer Jodie Hobson, which strikes me as a bit unfair to an extent. She's too good for our level, it seems, having picked up 10 wickets at 12.3 apiece, with an economy of under 4 an over.
  • Options
    Sorry I didn't answer paddy our bowling wasn't strong enough which really is the story of the 4s season.holmesdale do have a big advantage as they are a 3s side ...all the best for next week
  • Options
    edited August 2018

PaddyP17 said:

@lolwray how'd it go?

Fantastic news - well done to Seb!

(And 3 off the first 26 balls is good going compared to some openers, ahem)
  • Options

PaddyP17 said:

@lolwray how'd it go?

Well done Seb!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I cant attach the link for some reason but Fabian Cowdrey beat cccc first X1 pretty easily on saturday he got something like 179 not out from 351 and cccc replied with a pretty poor 68 all out ...thats a pretty big defeat !

He plays for Minster
  • Options
    lolwray said:

I cant attach the link for some reason but Fabian Cowdrey beat cccc first X1 pretty easily on saturday he got something like 179 not out from 351 and cccc replied with a pretty poor 68 all out ...thats a pretty big defeat !

He plays for Minster

Jesus. http://kcl.play-cricket.com/website/results/3549303

What the hell is he doing in Div 3 though?
  • Options
    lolwray said:

He plays for Minster

Yea, he smashed them. His brother got 60-odd too off not many balls.
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    lolwray said:

He plays for Minster

Indeed - along with his brother, Julius. Fabian has now played for the Vine, Lordswood and Minster now. He came through the colts system at the Vine but do wonder what the motivation was/is to play for the latter two named clubs? Can't be that it's for money surely?
  • Options
    @Addick Addict congrats to Seb! Here's to many more runs and scalps behind the sticks.
  • Options

lolwray said:

He plays for Minster

Indeed - along with his brother, Julius. Fabian has now played for the Vine, Lordswood and Minster now. He came through the colts system at the Vine but do wonder what the motivation was/is to play for the latter two named clubs? Can't be that it's for money surely?
    £600 a game has absolutely nothing to do with it and I'm assured the money is secondary to the fulfilment he gets from all the colts coaching he does.
  • Options

lolwray said:

He plays for Minster

unsubstantiated rumours but i think he might be getting an almost 4 figure sum (thats before the decimal points)..
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    The race to be leading KCL run scorer is quite close this year, what with some very big scores coming out each week. Callum Jackson (948) was leading, but he didn't play for Dartford this week, and now Ben Davis of Hythe II's (mainly) is ahead (956). Ben Gittings of Offham has 904 (lots more than his brother this year!), and Joshua Earle of Old Williamsonians has 887 (he's their Aussie overseas I think). Then comes Fabian, chased by Kai Appleby (861), Aaron Johnson of Upchurch (853), and the rest. Be interesting to see who gets the gong!
  • Options
    I have to say young Fabian would not be the first person I'd expect to see on my trips to the Isle of Sheppey....
  • Options
    Congratulations to Blackheath CC. Kent League champions for the first time since 1984!