Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Club cricket thread

Comments

• Options
    Bloody hell

He'll get a bowl for Derbyshire now and completely disappear
  • Options
    Peter Wiseman, Beckenham CC Secretary, has given his extremely honest appraisal of today's game:

Words fail this writer after this week’s debacle when Beckenham gained the unwanted distinction of achieving the lowest-ever score in Kent League history and also in the 152 years of Beckenham Cricket Club’s existence. Fielding a side missing only Ollie Robinson and Alex Taylor from a full-strength unit, to be dismissed for 18 on a blameless surface was much, much worse than an absolute disgrace. Bexley’s Jason Benn (4-12) and Calum MacLeod (6-5) bowled well but the spineless lack of effort from a team containing eight players with playing credentials ranging from international through County to County 2nd XI level and Minor Counties, was positively mind-numbing.

The Beckenham shambles of an innings lasted precisely 49 minutes in which no player made double-figures and FIVE failed to trouble the scorers. Needless to say, Bexley only needed 3 ½ overs to finish the job which took exactly 12 minutes and Beckenham are now in serious danger of dropping into Division 1.

Author : Peter Wiseman
  • Options
    Wow. Not ideal!

Assuming you're not still at Beckenham mate?

I'm still about half an hour out.
  • Options
    Looking forward to hearing about this debacle!!
  • Options

Wow. Not ideal!

Assuming you're not still at Beckenham mate?

I'm still about half an hour out.

No sorry I'm at home now putting the 2s game on Play Cricket - I was asked to do so because I've been told that Peter Wiseman has turned his phone off and he's the guy who puts all Beckenham's home results on Play Cricket.
  • Options
    Beckenham 2s won the toss and elected to bat. From a good start and 69-0 off 17, they managed 181-9. Bexley got them for 6 with 10 overs to spare. Seb took three stumpings and DNB.
  • Options
    Beckenham are on fire!

No Sunday games tomorrow as the T20 finals at Beckenham, so playing for the roaming Camels.

Camels are a great bunch but scored a Ton against them 3 weeks ago ( for Beckenham) so unsure of the reception I am going to get.... knowing them - a pint!
  • Options
    Came second. Their 14 year old opener got a brilliant chanceless 126* (was out LBW third over but oh well) and posted 218-7. I took three wickets for the first time this year, but ultimately we were a bat short. One guy got 78 in our 172 all out. I made a useful 18 in a partnership of 40 batting at 11,but ultimately we didn't have enough.

Oh, and an outrageous caught and bowled for me. @Leuth will talk you through it! :wink:

Next week please!
  • Options

Peter Wiseman, Beckenham CC Secretary, has given his extremely honest appraisal of today's game:

Words fail this writer after this week’s debacle when Beckenham gained the unwanted distinction of achieving the lowest-ever score in Kent League history and also in the 152 years of Beckenham Cricket Club’s existence. Fielding a side missing only Ollie Robinson and Alex Taylor from a full-strength unit, to be dismissed for 18 on a blameless surface was much, much worse than an absolute disgrace. Bexley’s Jason Benn (4-12) and Calum MacLeod (6-5) bowled well but the spineless lack of effort from a team containing eight players with playing credentials ranging from international through County to County 2nd XI level and Minor Counties, was positively mind-numbing.

The Beckenham shambles of an innings lasted precisely 49 minutes in which no player made double-figures and FIVE failed to trouble the scorers. Needless to say, Bexley only needed 3 ½ overs to finish the job which took exactly 12 minutes and Beckenham are now in serious danger of dropping into Division 1.

Amazing.

But what news of Byron?
  • Options
    PaddyP17 said:

Came second. Their 14 year old opener got a brilliant chanceless 126* (was out LBW third over but oh well) and posted 218-7. I took three wickets for the first time this year, but ultimately we were a bat short. One guy got 78 in our 172 all out. I made a useful 18 in a partnership of 40 batting at 11,but ultimately we didn't have enough.

Oh, and an outrageous caught and bowled for me. @Leuth will talk you through it! :wink:

Next week please!

I'll do that once you mention who that last-wicket stand was with :p
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    It was a great catch though!
  • Options
    Leuth said:

PaddyP17 said:

Next week please!

I'll do that once you mention who that last-wicket stand was with :p
    Top scorer in that partnership - me.
    Second top - extras
    Third - you? :wink:
  • Options
    Honestly though, @Leuth got 25* and batted well for it despite a few rogue shots (like both of us), we got ourselves a few more points!
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    We were once bowled out for 8 in a midweek local cup competition in the early/mid 90's. Also our Kent League 1st XI were also bowled out very cheaply by Dover with a certain Mr Sam Skeete destroying us late 80's/early 90's.
  • Options
    AshBurton said:

Amazing.

But what news of Byron?
    All I know at this stage is that Bexley 3s couldn't defend a score of 181-9 and that one of our 15 year olds got Byron Gould out.
  • Options
    Leuth said:

It was a great catch though!

Shame I missed that one, it was the talk of the All Stars session this morning, overshadowing even the OC 1s’ unexpected 179 run victory against top of the table Cowdrey. Well, almost.
  • Options
    It must help to be a member of the Singh or Patel family to get into OCs 2s - 7 of the former and 3 of the latter played yesterday.
  • Options

It must help to be a member of the Singh or Patel family to get into OCs 2s - 7 of the former and 3 of the latter played yesterday.

I noticed that. Tough work for the scorer!
  • Options

I think we once fielded a 2s side with 10 Patels and a Hodgson!

Even referring by first names didn't help, as we had two Jaimins and I think a Jay and Jai Patel...
  • Options

AshBurton said:

Amazing.

But what news of Byron?
    All I know at this stage is that Bexley 3s couldn't defend a score of 181-9 and that one of our 15 year olds got Byron Gould out.
    Bexley 181-8
    Littlebourne 185-7

The Goulds:

Byron 24 runs, 1 catch & 12-0-45-0
    Sully 1 run, 2 catches & 2 stumpings
    Josh 45 runs & 12-3-29-4
    Graham 11-0-51-3
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

AshBurton said:

Amazing.

But what news of Byron?
    Bexley 181-8
    Littlebourne 185-7

The Goulds:

Josh 45 runs & 12-3-29-4
    Graham 11-0-51-3
    Blimey, how many of them are there? Good day for Josh, clearly, whose existence I was blissfully unaware of till now.
  • Options
    AshBurton said:

AshBurton said:

Amazing.

But what news of Byron?
    Bexley 181-8
    Littlebourne 185-7

The Goulds:

Josh 45 runs & 12-3-29-4
    Graham 11-0-51-3
    Blimey, how many of them are there? Good day for Josh, clearly, whose existence I was blissfully unaware of till now.
    Graham is Dad and the other three are his sons. Not a patch on the Singhs in the OCs 2s though.
  • Options

AshBurton said:

AshBurton said:

Amazing.

But what news of Byron?
    Bexley 181-8
    Littlebourne 185-7

The Goulds:

Josh 45 runs & 12-3-29-4
    Graham 11-0-51-3
    Graham is Dad and the other three are his sons. Not a patch on the Singhs in the OCs 2s though.
    Ha ha, indeed. We missed a couple of our Singhs in the 3s yesterday, succumbing to HSBC. Two weeks ago at Hayes, I batted with Sharry Singh who hit 50 off about 15 balls. I played the anchor role in our partnership of ... er... 51 I think.
  • Options

AshBurton said:

Amazing.

But what news of Byron?
    I should point out that the 15 year old in question is 6' 3'' a medium pace bowler who is a gentle giant of a lad. With a bit more belief and commitment he could end up being quite a handful if and when he fills his frame and learns to add an "edge" to his game. His Dad was a state cricketer in India so he has the right pedigree too.
  • Options

A few years back I came out of retirement for a couple of seasons and played for a 'dad's and lads' side.
    On Tuesday, one of the 'lads' hit an unbeaten 156 against the MCC.
    he opens for Sidcup 1s now and obviously took on board all I was teaching him back when we were opening partners, then dismissed it all.

The lad I used to play with was at it again yesterday.
    Chasing 263, he made 170 not out as Sidcup won by 6 wickets.
    http://sidcup.play-cricket.com/website/results/3549272
    I’ll have to ask if the lad I played with has any Gould blood in him.
    He was at it again yesterday scoring 154 not out in a 20/20 game on the first day of sidcups cricket week.
    Not sure of the strength of the opposition yesterday but this season he has now had 14 innings scoring 5 x 50s and 4 tons and is averaging 115 at a strike rate of 184.
  • Options

A few years back I came out of retirement for a couple of seasons and played for a 'dad's and lads' side.
    On Tuesday, one of the 'lads' hit an unbeaten 156 against the MCC.
    he opens for Sidcup 1s now and obviously took on board all I was teaching him back when we were opening partners, then dismissed it all.

The lad I used to play with was at it again yesterday.
    Chasing 263, he made 170 not out as Sidcup won by 6 wickets.
    http://sidcup.play-cricket.com/website/results/3549272
    I’ll have to ask if the lad I played with has any Gould blood in him.
    He was at it again yesterday scoring 154 not out in a 20/20 game on the first day of sidcups cricket week.
    Not sure of the strength of the opposition yesterday but this season he has now had 14 innings scoring 5 x 50s and 4 tons and is averaging 115 at a strike rate of 184.
    Sam Lockwood has certainly been in fantastic form this season but has only really been consistently successful in the last couple of years. He could, admittedly, possibly be accused of bullying the opposition on occasions but hasn't quite reached the "heights" of Byron Gould who has been doing so for the last seven or eight years.
  • Options
    As is ritual, I've been struggling for players this week, but luckily enough have found a few guys keen to play out of the woodwork. One of them is a friend of my brother's, and it reminded me of quite an amusing conversation I had with my sister in law a couple of years ago, when I mentioned I was always looking for players (paraphrased below):

SIL: If you're looking for players, I'm sure my second cousins might be interested.

Me: Oh? They'd be more than welcome!

SIL: Yes, I think they'd be happy to. I think they live in Surrey now, though, after graduating.

Me: Oh, that's a shame. ... so they were at Cambridge with you?

SIL: Yes, they were - they played for the University, too.

Me: [getting fairly suspicious] As in, they played for the University of Cambridge?

SIL: That's right.

Me: And now they live in Surrey?

SIL: Well, I think they might be based on the outskirts of London - I'm not too sure.

Me: ... Er, what are their names?

SIL: Akbar and Zafar Ansari.

-----------------------------

Zafar would still technically be ineligible for the Kent Cricket League this season and next, given his last Test match was under three years ago!
  • Options
    Akbar Ansari is fine though right? Get him in. He can be my spin-bowling understudy
  • Options
    Had my first game of the season yesterday, and still haven't been dismissed since 2015! 6 not out (6 balls) and 1-13 off two overs. I also larupped one of the two dot balls back against the bowlers end stumps thus depriving myself of a boundary I'm sure. Knees hurt today...
  • Options
    Leuth said:

Akbar Ansari is fine though right? Get him in. He can be my spin-bowling understudy

Where's the quadruple LOL button?