Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Club cricket thread

Comments

• Options
    edited July 2018
    2s lost yesterday to a very strong Tunbridge Wells side including an overseas who had scored 166 two weeks before.

We mustered 168 (probably about 60 short) and whilst we did manage to dismiss the overseas, their number 3 (averaging 87 this season) stood firm with 74 not out for TW to win by 6 wickets. 1 not out for Seb, no chances for a stumping or a catch and another clean sheet.

The highlight for me was meeting someone from the opposition I hadn't seen for over 40 years. I had played with Reg Sharma as a teenager in the same summer holiday side alongside other well known local players such as his brother, Suresh and Mark Alexander. All three became successful Kent League players and in Reg's case he went on to play for Derbyshire. Meanwhile, the pinnacle of my cricketing career was playing for Sidcup 3s - and now realise why our paths hadn't crossed over the decades!
  • Options
    PaddyP17 said:

lolwray said:

PaddyP17 said:

The spoils go to @lolwray and his mob. OCCC lose by 60 runs, with an excellent 80-odd from Ansar Mahmood the foundation in a total of 218-6.

We started poorly in reply, slumping to 16-2 very slowly, before a mini-revival to 99-5. Some lusty tail wagging dragged us to 158 all out off exactly 40 overs.

I opened the batting and bowling. Before any lambastingre captain's prerogative, it's because I'd never played with half my side before, and our other opening bowler was late!

We genuinely had three number elevens, and really were basically two bats short. But I've unearthed a solid leg spinner who doubles up as an excellent jazz drummer. When worlds collide!

Oh well, onwards and upwards to OD CUACO next week.

Paddy I thought I d come on here before looking at play cricket...assume 4cs won the toss ..ha ansah got 80 ...he must have been totally verschmuttered after that ...running is normally an indignity to him

I would have thought our bowling was weak though

Well hard luck that's cricket and all that I am sorry I didn't get the chance to play against you ..all the best for next week
    Goes down in the book as Neil winning it but I'd have fielded first anyway!

It was one or four to be fair, mainly fours - your outfield was LIGHTNING.

As for the bowling, Rob and Dean wisely took pace off the ball, and as our batting was no great shakes, nullified us well. Not too fussed about the result - a good game and a good time had by all! Hope to cross paths soon, ideally when we're both promoted next season!
    Thanks paddy ..you never know we may cross paths at an actual football match ..surprised Rob played thought he d be up to something anti trump he is so left wing he makes @Leuth seem like a home counties Tory
  • Options

A few years back I came out of retirement for a couple of seasons and played for a 'dad's and lads' side.
    On Tuesday, one of the 'lads' hit an unbeaten 156 against the MCC.
    he opens for Sidcup 1s now and obviously took on board all I was teaching him back when we were opening partners, then dismissed it all.

The lad I used to play with was at it again yesterday.
    Chasing 263, he made 170 not out as Sidcup won by 6 wickets.
    http://sidcup.play-cricket.com/website/results/3549272
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    I see Blackheath Wanderers was called off due to dangerous wicket, anybody know anything more specific?
  • Options

I see Blackheath Wanderers was called off due to dangerous wicket, anybody know anything more specific?

It was apparently very poor two weeks ago when CWK 2s played there. One player got hit on the head by a length ball. Two more weeks without rain and it would only have got worse.
  • Options
    Pedro45 said:

It was apparently very poor two weeks ago when CWK 2s played there. One player got hit on the head by a length ball. Two more weeks without rain and it would only have got worse.
    Cheers

• Options

PaddyP17 said:

I opened the batting and bowling

Step forward Charlton Life’s very own Byron Gould !
    Oh mate if only I could bat or bowl like him! He got 217 yesterday - I got approximately 27 times less than that...

My three overs were also by process of elimination, if I'm honest. Same goes for the batting - leading by terrible, terrible example...
  • Options
    217 !!!
    Seriously is this the equivalent of me smashing my kids old around the garden doing an impression of competitive dad , what is the point , how can this weirdo not really go and test himself at a higher level .

https://youtu.be/h2x_DI7tzNQ
  • Options
    I've just read an article from last August in which Byron Gould discusses why he plays for Littlebourne. Whilst it doesn't excuse him playing for the Club's 2nd X1 in the Village League he does say that "I get to play with my dad and brothers, I live 100 metres from the ground and it's £2.50 a pint!"

Some would struggle to argue with that.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    PaddyP17 said:

I've just read an article from last August in which Byron Gould discusses why he plays for Littlebourne. Whilst it doesn't excuse him playing for the Club's 2nd X1 in the Village League he does say that "I get to play with my dad and brothers, I live 100 metres from the ground and it's £2.50 a pint!"

Agreed. That's fine to be honest, but his track record of this sort of behaviour creates a certain picture. Here's that scorecard vs Folkestone 3s in 2016:

http://stlhccc.play-cricket.com/website/results/2697332

Littlebourne: 518-3 off 40. Byron 228, Sully Gould 232.

Folkestone: 48 all out.

If I remember correctly, that Folkestone 3s side was quite highly populated with colts (don't quote me on that though). You don't mercilessly flay them anywhere and everywhere because "records are made to be broken", or because "you're competing with your brother", or because "you can only play what's in front of you" (it's amateur cricket ffs).

No, if you're doing that, you're dickheads.
    If they did that against any side I had a say in running I’d insist that for the return fixture, we’d let them bat first, take to the field with various points on the boundary having stacks of beer for our refreshment and continually bowl wides until it gets abandoned.
  • Options
    PaddyP17 said:

Agreed. That's fine to be honest, but his track record of this sort of behaviour creates a certain picture. Here's that scorecard vs Folkestone 3s in 2016:

If I remember correctly, that Folkestone 3s side was quite highly populated with colts (don't quote me on that though). You don't mercilessly flay them anywhere and everywhere because "records are made to be broken", or because "you're competing with your brother", or because "you can only play what's in front of you" (it's amateur cricket ffs).

I played, on occasions, with someone who remains today my best friend. The reason it was only "on occasions" was because he was a first team player and I wasn't. There are two or three others on here who will know who I am talking about when I say he was the most gifted cricketer I ever had the pleasure to share the same field with but who also possessed the least desire to prove it to the opposition.

His behaviour at times was bizarre - he would apologise to the bowler for hitting him for four and also deliberately get out in the 40s or 90s depending on the state of the game by either chipping it to mid wicket or deliberately walking passed one. Many believed that he could have been a pro - but he simply didn't want it.

He was the complete opposite of Byron Gould who seems to want to rack up record after record regardless of the oppostion. Funnily enough, the same article I mentioned above also refers to the Folkestone game:

https://pressreader.com/uk/kentish-gazette-canterbury-district/20170824/282604557969919
  • Options
    He's just a twat really, not really much else to discuss
  • Options

PaddyP17 said:

I played, on occasions, with someone who remains today my best friend. The reason it was only "on occasions" was because he was a first team player and I wasn't. There are two or three others on here who will know who I am talking about when I say he was the most gifted cricketer I ever had the pleasure to share the same field with but who also possessed the least desire to prove it to the opposition.

His behaviour at times was bizarre - he would apologise to the bowler for hitting him for four and also deliberately get out in the 40s or 90s depending on the state of the game by either chipping it to mid wicket or deliberately walking passed one. Many believed that he could have been a pro - but he simply didn't want it.

He was the complete opposite of Byron Gould who seems to want to rack up record after record regardless of the oppostion. Funnily enough, the same article I mentioned above also refers to the Folkestone game:

https://pressreader.com/uk/kentish-gazette-canterbury-district/20170824/282604557969919
    Rubbish. I'm your best friend.

• Options

I hadn't realised 'til now but Bexley 3s have the "pleasure" of entertaining Byron and his clan on Saturday.

If I don't see your name listed as umpire; all the Goulds given out LBW at the earliest opportunity; and a subsequent report to the KRCL, I'll be severely disappointed! :wink:
  • Options

PaddyP17 said:

You can be my second best friend. And the second best cricketer after him too. Seeing him "chip" Eldine Baptiste over the fire station at Sidcup will remain with me forever.
  • Options
    PaddyP17 said:

I hadn't realised 'til now but Bexley 3s have the "pleasure" of entertaining Byron and his clan on Saturday.

If I don't see your name listed as umpire; all the Goulds given out LBW at the earliest opportunity; and a subsequent report to the KRCL, I'll be severely disappointed! :wink:
    Sorry but I will be with the 2s at Beckenham and probably scoring too with a very nice lady who I have had the pleasure of doing so with earlier this season (and last season too) as she is thoroughly entertaining and makes the day go that bit quicker.
  • Options

PaddyP17 said:

Sorry but I will be with the 2s at Beckenham and probably scoring too with a very nice lady who I have had the pleasure of doing so with earlier this season (and last season too) as she is thoroughly entertaining and makes the day go that bit quicker.
    Don't think you will be scoring with her, if we're thinking about the same person, as her son isn't playing.

I'm injured and out for the rest of the season, but I'll try and pop down later in the day and we can have a beer!
  • Options

PaddyP17 said:

No I'm his best friend.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Riviera said:

PaddyP17 said:

No I'm his best friend.
    Your not even my third best friend - and definitely nowhere near the third best cricketer!
  • Options

PaddyP17 said:

Don't think you will be scoring with her, if we're thinking about the same person, as her son isn't playing.

I'm injured and out for the rest of the season, but I'll try and pop down later in the day and we can have a beer!
    Sorry to hear about your injury but look forward to seeing you.
  • Options

PaddyP17 said:

Cheers mate.

Meniscus - left knee. Not ideal!

I'm getting a lot of stick from the boys at the club, did it celebrating the Sweden win on a Saturday night!!
  • Options

PaddyP17 said:

Cheers mate.

I'm getting a lot of stick from the boys at the club, did it celebrating the Sweden win on a Saturday night!!
    Tis but a scratch, mate. I've been playing cricket on a torn ACL for five years.

... You available Saturday?
  • Options
    PaddyP17 said:

PaddyP17 said:

Cheers mate.

Tis but a scratch, mate. I've been playing cricket on a torn ACL for five years.

... You available Saturday?
    I've seen you bowl mate.

I'm sure there is exactly that same amount of force going through your knees as mine through our actions... :-)
  • Options
    Sounds like i'm missing out not playing in this league setup! Do we have Charlton Lifers in the Mid-Sussex Leagues?
  • Options

Riviera said:

PaddyP17 said:

No I'm his best friend.
    Your not even my third best friend - and definitely nowhere near the third best cricketer!
    cry.png 93.7K
  • Options
    I see Cloudy got 104 off 61 balls tonight for Derbyshire. A repeat of that on Saturday against Beckenham would be good.
  • Options

I see Cloudy got 104 off 61 balls tonight for Derbyshire. A repeat of that on Saturday against Beckenham would be good.

Unlikely as he doesn't seem to be able to crack the KPL. He's better off playing against England.
  • Options
    Riviera said:

Unlikely as he doesn't seem to be able to crack the KPL. He's better off playing against England.
    Well he got 6. 6 wickets that is as Beckeham set an all time Kent League low of 18 all out!!!