Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Club cricket thread

Comments

• Options

I do hope that, should England win tomorrow, we don't see loads of concessions by teams on Saturday.

Best chance your 1's have of winning a game...
  • Options
    Riviera said:

I do hope that, should England win tomorrow, we don't see loads of concessions by teams on Saturday.

Best chance your 1's have of winning a game...
    Now now don't get too cocky - we know your mob only turn up for the first half of the season.....
  • Options

I suspect that Ally Brown or even Adam Hollioake might do that job. And it they get 250 on the board that might not even need one!

I didn’t get the day off work , how did it all go at the PCA game ?
    The highlight of the three hour lunch was a very entertaining speech by Geoff Miller - the Yorkshire fans and players were the butt of many of his stories.

As for the game, the LAT side did quite well to restrict the PCA to 197-6 off their 25. Loye (45) and Ramprakash (41) top scored. Pick of the bowlers was Mark McLean who is a Kent U17 and Hartley 1st left arm orthodox spinner who had figures of 5-0-23-2.

The options to keep for the PCA weren't obvious and it was Dominic Cork who actually drew the short straw. The LAT were in a bit of trouble when Seb came into bat at 37-3. He didn't exactly help the situation by being bowled first ball by Shahzad! That said, he wasn't the only one to fall to Shahzad who sent back four of the top five for not very many.

The PCA continued to pick up wickets but an excellent 9th wicket partnership between their number 6 who made 35 and a 50 from the aforementioned McLean who was batting at 10, admittedly aided by some "friendly fire" spin served up by the likes of Owais Shah, Ali Brown and Saj Mahmood, allowed the LAT to get within a dozen runs of their total.

The 2s have no game today because Whitstable have conceded due to many of their players going to the Kent Final so Seb is turning out for the 4s to open and keep. Let's hope he lasts more than the one ball!
    On a difficult track to bat and keep on with the ball from one end in particular keeping low one minute and then spitting the next, Blackheath made 141.

In reply, with the score on 41-0 off 8 overs, Seb sparked a collapse by stupidly running himself out when on 18 to the extent that Bexley found themselves in a spot of trouble at 63-5. Fortunately, the skipper and another senior "pro" batted very sensibly to share an unbeaten stand of 81.
    He'll fit in at Kent just fine :wink:
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

I suspect that Ally Brown or even Adam Hollioake might do that job. And it they get 250 on the board that might not even need one!

The highlight of the three hour lunch was a very entertaining speech by Geoff Miller - the Yorkshire fans and players were the butt of many of his stories.

As for the game, the LAT side did quite well to restrict the PCA to 197-6 off their 25. Loye (45) and Ramprakash (41) top scored. Pick of the bowlers was Mark McLean who is a Kent U17 and Hartley 1st left arm orthodox spinner who had figures of 5-0-23-2.

The options to keep for the PCA weren't obvious and it was Dominic Cork who actually drew the short straw. The LAT were in a bit of trouble when Seb came into bat at 37-3. He didn't exactly help the situation by being bowled first ball by Shahzad! That said, he wasn't the only one to fall to Shahzad who sent back four of the top five for not very many.

The PCA continued to pick up wickets but an excellent 9th wicket partnership between their number 6 who made 35 and a 50 from the aforementioned McLean who was batting at 10, admittedly aided by some "friendly fire" spin served up by the likes of Owais Shah, Ali Brown and Saj Mahmood, allowed the LAT to get within a dozen runs of their total.

The 2s have no game today because Whitstable have conceded due to many of their players going to the Kent Final so Seb is turning out for the 4s to open and keep. Let's hope he lasts more than the one ball!
    On a difficult track to bat and keep on with the ball from one end in particular keeping low one minute and then spitting the next, Blackheath made 141.

In reply, with the score on 41-0 off 8 overs, Seb sparked a collapse by stupidly running himself out when on 18 to the extent that Bexley found themselves in a spot of trouble at 63-5. Fortunately, the skipper and another senior "pro" batted very sensibly to share an unbeaten stand of 81.
    Great that he took on board all that happened on Saturday by running himself out yesterday too!
  • Options

LenGlover said:

Great that he took on board all that happened on Saturday by running himself out yesterday too!
    And ran himself out again today in the Kent Schools Plate Final. Three times in three games!!!
  • Options
    @Addick Addict I am slightly annoyed that we're level on points with your 6th XI, despite having won more games, by virtue of our head-to-head record! Oh well.
  • Options
    PaddyP17 said:

@Addick Addict I am slightly annoyed that we're level on points with your 6th XI, despite having won more games, by virtue of our head-to-head record! Oh well.

Lose again to our 6ths and you probably won't have have to worry about the "head-to-head record" because they will be so far ahead of you ;-)
  • Options
    KCL umpires being asked if they will agree to a two hour tea break on Saturday, with a 10.30 start time. Could be chaotic if it goes to extra time!
  • Options
    Pedro45 said:

KCL umpires being asked if they will agree to a two hour tea break on Saturday, with a 10.30 start time. Could be chaotic if it goes to extra time!

Our 2s are playing at Sandwich on Saturday. If it is a 10.30 start, we'll probably have to meet at 8.15 to leave at 8.30 at the latest in order to get there in time for a meaningful warm up.

Not much fun either for any umpires that think that cricket is the summer sport and not football.
  • Options
    Meaningful warm-up = singing World Cup songs in the car over, surely ;)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Pedro45 said:

Our 2s are playing at Sandwich on Saturday. If it is a 10.30 start, we'll probably have to meet at 8.15 to leave at 8.30 at the latest in order to get there in time for a meaningful warm up.

Not much fun either for any umpires that think that cricket is the summer sport and not football.
    Yes, I'd be leaving here at about 8.15 for my game if this happens, based on getting there 75 minutes before the scheduled start time.

If it is a 10.30 start, the first innings (presuming it goes 50 overs) will finish about 1.45. I think the idea is that the second innings starts 10 minutes later, and the game is suspended (for tea) about ten to three, then resumes after the England game (which could be two hours later if it goes to penalties again)? That would still leave over two hours play due (again, presuming the second innings goes the full fifty overs), meaning that it could conclude after 7pm. A long day! Longer than a Test match day!
  • Options
    Leuth said:

Meaningful warm-up = singing World Cup songs in the car over, surely ;)

I'll be singing Three Lions every time I run* in to bowl, I'm sure.

*by run, I do of course mean amble, and amble pretty slowly at that
  • Options
    All KCL games must be played to KCL regs this Saturday, I've been told, so no footie for me!
  • Options
    Pedro45 said:

All KCL games must be played to KCL regs this Saturday, I've been told, so no footie for me!

Yep - and I'm scoring for the 2s so none for me either. Well apart from 20 minutes at tea that is!
  • Options
    But they canceled for Lady Di? Pathetic!
  • Options
    Good thing I wasn't of cricket-playing age. If my game had been cancelled for a royal funeral I'd have attended the procession in full whites
  • Options
    Pedro45 said:

Bit confused by your comfy cat photo at the mo. Which way round do I turn my phone?!
  • Options
    AshBurton said:

Pedro45 said:

Bit confused by your comfy cat photo at the mo. Which way round do I turn my phone?!
    Sorry...blooming phone!
  • Options
    Our oppo have conceded, so that's 20 juicy points without having to take to the field!

However that means I'm now umpiring instead. Joy of joys.
  • Options
    PaddyP17 said:

Our oppo have conceded, so that's 20 juicy points without having to take to the field!

Umpiring instead of watching the football. Badger.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

PaddyP17 said:

Umpiring instead of watching the football. Badger.
    We're watching the football at tea mate, obviously
  • Options
    Apologies, misread earlier in the thread about KCL and not KRCL.

Still a badger, though. :-)

Thankfully we had the week off, couldn't make it up!
  • Options
    FFS. I don’t even play cricket but I demand weekend updates by 16:00 Sunday.
  • Options
    As you asked.

2s played Sandwich - we won the toss and elected to bat rather than watch the football later.

Scored 50-0 off first 17, 120-0 off next 18 and 83-9 off last 15 for 253-9 off 50 overs. "Collapse" included Seb who came in for the last over and was bowled for a single trying to pull a good length ball - but he missed!

In reply Sandwich were always behind but mustered 197 all out off 49.3 overs. A catch, a stumping and another clean sheet for the boy. 18 points and joint top with Hartley still.
  • Options
    Umpired for our 1st XI. I'm absolutely delighted that Alex Lorimer (oh what could have been for him and for Colfes and probably for Kent, if he wasn't made of glass) smashed a fantastic 128, setting us up for a meaty 294-8 off our 50. I had to give our chairman of selectors out LBW, as he was plumb. And he even thanked me for umpiring this morning!!

D&B never looked close, but one of my best mates (their no. 3) was a bit fuming with me because I gave him out caught at gully, when he thought it had hit both thigh pads. No mate, you absolutely middled it onto yourself and it looped for a catch. Ah well, had a beer afterward and it all seems okay.

One moment of confusion came when I thought their no. 4 would walk (he's that type of guy), and I gave him out but only after a few seconds' deliberation, because I thought he'd go. Didn't feel a nick, did hear something, and their non-striker agreed with me, so all fair enough.

It's coming home though, most importantly.
  • Options
    At least Seb wasn’t run out !
  • Options
    I see Matt Coles has been playing for The Mote in Div 1 of the KCL. He's had 4 games so far scoring 218 runs at an average of 54.5. Bowling figures aren't quite so impressive given that this is the 2nd tier of the KCL: 25-2-135-1
  • Options
    Littlebourne weekly update:

Disaster for their 1s on Saturday as, chasing Rodmershams's 105, they were bowled out for 58! No guessing who was top scorer with 30 - the one and only Byron Could of course. The three other members of the Gould clan managed just 4 runs between them.

Unlike Dad and his two brothers who elected to take Sunday off, Byron opted to find some form for their Sunday 2s in Division 6 of the Kent Village League. 157 runs off 70 balls (including 12 4s and 15 6s) out of a total of 322 all out off 34.4 overs. Who needs 40 overs eh?

In reply the splendidly named Loose CC (and their bowling definitely that) amassed 227-7. And of course Byron had the best bowling figures with 3-0-16-3.

With a performance like that the Littlebourne Selection Committee will be hard pushed to resist the calls for Byron to be in the Sunday 1s next week. Well if they had one that is because it seems their 1s withdrew from Division 1 this season and no longer exist!
  • Options

Disaster for their 1s on Saturday as, chasing Rodmershams's 105, they were bowled out for 58! No guessing who was top scorer with 30 - the one and only Byron Could of course. The three other members of the Gould clan managed just 4 runs between them.

Unlike Dad and his two brothers who elected to take Sunday off, Byron opted to find some form for their Sunday 2s in Division 6 of the Kent Village League. 157 runs off 70 balls (including 12 4s and 15 6s) out of a total of 322 all out off 34.4 overs. Who needs 40 overs eh?

In reply the splendidly named Loose CC (and their bowling definitely that) amassed 227-7. And of course Byron had the best bowling figures with 3-0-16-3.

With a performance like that the Littlebourne Selection Committee will be hard pushed to resist the calls for Byron to be in the Sunday 1s next week. Well if they had one that is because it seems their 1s withdrew from Division 1 this season and no longer exist!

How could that possibly have been allowed?! Was speaking to the St Lawrence umpire a couple of weeks ago about this (who is an absolute gent and I'm told a completely fair umpire) and he's equally amazed it's been allowed to happen.

I think he even said that the Kent Village League only agreed to the 1st XI withdrawal because it meant the Goulds weren't going to play! So much for that.

Bunch of [redacted]s.
  • Options
    PaddyP17 said:

How could that possibly have been allowed?! Was speaking to the St Lawrence umpire a couple of weeks ago about this (who is an absolute gent and I'm told a completely fair umpire) and he's equally amazed it's been allowed to happen.

I think he even said that the Kent Village League only agreed to the 1st XI withdrawal because it meant the Goulds weren't going to play! So much for that.

Bunch of [redacted]s.
    The leagues are in a very difficult position in this regard. If a 1st XI or 2nd XI withdraws, do they allow one team to continue (against league rules which say you must have a first and second team)? This happened with Old Elthamians very recently. And if a whole bunch of players jump ship just prior to the season commencing, leaving a side very weak, should those players have to play first team cricket or does the league allow the 2nd XI to play on without a first team? This was the case with Sibton Park this year.

If the league enforces its own rules, then that would have meant OE's not fulfilling fixtures, and more importantly, their opposition not having games, so their 1's continue. Sibton Park 2's were told that they cannot be promoted (due to some obvious 1st teamers now having to play 2nd team cricket). The changes in Kent structure at the end of this season will see things pan out, and I think a large number of clubs will fold sides.